Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 02:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I'm sorry you don't believe people can change and make things better for themselves... or that others may desire to help people in tough situations.

You were a 6 week old fetus at one time. Are you important? You tell me...
I'm not a 6-week old fetus anymore. I'm a major investment. My family invested a lot of time, effort and money to raise me, and society invested a lot of time, effort and money to educate me and socialize me. As an intelligent, moral, and responsible woman, I should be able to make decisions regarding my body and my life that have NOTHING to do with you. As a human adult, I expect you to respect my lawful, thoughtful decisions and mind your own business. But that's way too much to ask, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 02:54 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It is red states that started this and have screamed for it for years. Sorry if wanting to see those same people pay the price for their short sightedness is so troubling but that is reality. Those red states that have elected these people to make this happen will be the ones to pay the price when their communities suffer.

I am very happy to live in a blue state that can objectively see why this is a mistake. I choose to live in a state that is more pragmatic and I think our schools and communities are stronger for it. My parents planned for us and our children were very much planned. Yes, these women will suffer and so will there children. What is really sad, really really sad, is how happy those red state voters will be without understanding the long term effects, even on themselves and their families.
Ahhh ... it finally comes out. You are so fecking bi-partisan that you openly take pleasure in seeing women suffer from lack of services just because they live in states where the majority party makes crappy decisions.

That makes you a terrible person in my book. Vapid and devoid of true compassion ... just a strong sense of elitism and smug hope for failure no matter who it actually affects at the end of the day. Well gee us women are just *so* lucky to have someone like you fighting for us .. even if it's completely fake.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:56 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not a 6-week old fetus anymore. I'm a major investment. My family invested a lot of time, effort and money to raise me, and society invested a lot of time, effort and money to educate me and socialize me. As an intelligent, moral, and responsible woman, I should be able to make decisions regarding my body and my life that have NOTHING to do with you. As a human adult, I expect you to respect my lawful, thoughtful decisions and mind your own business. But that's way too much to ask, isn't it?
I'm not in your business. I do think all 6 week old fetuses are worthy to be a major investment like you.

If you choose to terminate that investment. That's your business. Pay for it. Leave me out of your business. If you want to support organizations that offer those services so other "investments" can be terminated, donate your money. Leave me out of your business.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Seacove is more interested in arguing the fact that reproductive healthcare is an everyone's problem, and that red states, where you are telling us all that abortion isn't an issue, are prepared to remove an important provider of reproductive healthcare that serves primarily the poor in those red states. Unless you are going to argue that there aren't any poor people in states like Mississippi?
Thanks DC, exactly. Reproductive health is everyone's problem because we are communities with schools and families. This is so incredibly short-sighted. It will take years for red states to figure out that getting rid of Planned Parenthood cost them so much more. It was used to drive votes and voter participation by politicians in red states. It worked and now they can live the results of their vote.

This is not a problem blue states have to solve and telling blue states to fund it for red states will not help them because unfortunately, they will need to live the result to understand.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
I'm not in your business. I do think all 6 week old fetuses are worthy to be a major investment like you.

If you choose to terminate that investment. That's your business. Pay for it. Leave me out of your business.
Yeah, you are in my business. Defunding Planned Parenthood takes away my freedom of choice. And news alert, you aren't paying for anybody's abortions. YOU AREN'T PAYING A DIME FOR ANYONE'S ABORTION. NO TAX DOLLARS PAY FOR ABORTIONS. Do you think you can grasp that?

Old 03-30-2017, 02:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
I thought with the ACA, people will have coverage for these things?

Is such a thing not able to support itself off of donations?

State and local governments are still welcomed to provide their own funding, and really, this should be an issue handled at the state and local level.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Ahhh ... it finally comes out. You are so fecking bi-partisan that you openly take pleasure in seeing women suffer from lack of services just because they live in states where the majority party makes crappy decisions.

That makes you a terrible person in my book. Vapid and devoid of true compassion ... just a strong sense of elitism and smug hope for failure no matter who it actually affects at the end of the day. Well gee us women are just *so* lucky to have someone like you fighting for us .. even if it's completely fake.
So the people voting for the majority party that created this are fine but people that can see what will ultimately happen and how it will be an expensive education for that state is bad? Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I thought with the ACA, people will have coverage for these things?

Is such a thing not able to support itself off of donations?

State and local governments are still welcomed to provide their own funding, and really, this should be an issue handled at the state and local level.
By all means. Red states should just not complain about the results later because this will be a very expensive, very long term, self-created and avoidable situation.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
We certainly don't want low-income Americans to get the birth control or screening for STD's they've been getting from Planned Parenthood.
Planned Parenthood is redundant and unnecessary. There are many times more taxpayer-funded Public Health Department low-cost or free Family Planning Clinics than there are PP facilities.

https://www.hhs.gov/opa/

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Yeah, you are in my business. Defunding Planned Parenthood takes away my freedom of choice. And news alert, you aren't paying for anybody's abortions. YOU AREN'T PAYING A DIME FOR ANYONE'S ABORTION. NO TAX DOLLARS PAY FOR ABORTIONS. Do you think you can grasp that?
How does it take away from your freedom of choice? Please explain this.

1,261 posts, read 951,530 times
Quote:
Please do not tell me what I care about, when you have no clue.

If you care about sustaining what PP does, and you believe in their cause - send them some money.

This is what churches do when they help others. They put in their time and effort and money and help.
The problem with this logic is that people donate to causes without the larger picture in mind. They will donate to save the cute pandas, but not endangered fish or amphibian populations that are arguably more important. They'll donate to breast cancer research because of a great pink ribbon marketing campaign, but not to lung cancer research, despite the fact that lung cancer kills more people than any other cancer and has appalling low cure rates.

Government has a role to play in making sure that money is going to those causes that are important to our country and society as a whole, not just the ones that are easy to market or make a profit off of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies