Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:55 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times

Advertisements

How the heck is this news?

Some student loses ONE point on his essay because he didn't follow the instructions and runs to tell the papers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 11:59 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Sounds fair. Poor wittle snowflake, l failing to adhere to the guidelines of her assignment, then complaining about her grade.
Sorry, flouting stalinist language control is always justified toward protecting academic freedom. Language guidelines are no guidelines at all in academia.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:04 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Stupid student knew the guidelines, willfully ignored them, and then cried about it?

She'll be in for a rude awakening in the real world.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:30 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
This goes to something real though: learning to keep in mind & communicate using the language and shibboleths of people in a position of power is an important skill in the workplace. I had similar experiences in college with a couple social science professors docking points for political position or language and was infuriated at the time, but it forced me to learn how to write papers meant not to answer the question as posed but rather to meet the unspoken requirements of the professor to get a good grade. That exercise and experience builds soft skills which will be far more valuable later in life than anything else you or the students who didn't have those issues with the professor learned in the class.
So what you seem to be saying is that it is best if we teach our young people how to be SHEEP at an early age so they can butt-kiss their way through life? No thanks.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:44 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Stupid student knew the guidelines, willfully ignored them, and then cried about it?

She'll be in for a rude awakening in the real world.
But that would be different, because...

Well, just because.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:45 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I guess we have to try for a second moon landing and correct this colossal injustice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEM_h5WbFks
And leave behind a statue of a tranny rainbow unicorn, a Koran, and a map of Earth with all national borders erased.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:57 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Maybe the Professor is one of these women:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2T0tNIWIf0
That has got to be one of the worst things I ever watched, just completely pathetic. The men doing the filming in parts are just making it even more obvious how sexist they are e.g. "don't worry, you wouldn't get raped" - as if rape has anything to do with how attractive someone is?! And the two "feminists" videos they picked, well the first is either an obvious pisstake or an idiot, and the second is just odd. All in all, it just reinforces how important feminism is still because there are clearly still too many people who don't realise what is the problem.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
This woman is a dolt for not knowing the definition of mankind, which refers to human beings and not just men.

Or am I not allowed to refer to her as a woman because it includes the word man?

Old 04-01-2017, 05:31 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I guess this woman doesn't have a good dictionary. "The human race: the totality of human beings" Merriam-Webster
This professor is probably working on a new group of words, to supplant the old, offensive ones, in the language. We should have a contest, to nominate the best replacement words. In fact, even the word, "woman", has a "man" in it. That one will have to go, also. We might have to revert to some "loan words", from another language.

I'm trying to come up with some, but they all seem to be based on their equivalents to the English "man" and "woman". Perhaps it will be decided that all language is discriminatory against women and will need to be eliminated. A new language, right from scratch, is needed, that completely bypasses gender. No description using it, would indicate the sex of a person (but wait, even that word has a "son" in it!).

Old 04-01-2017, 05:46 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This professor is probably working on a new group of words, to supplant the old, offensive ones, in the language. We should have a contest, to nominate the best replacement words. In fact, even the word, "woman", has a "man" in it. That one will have to go, also. We might have to revert to some "loan words", from another language.

I'm trying to come up with some, but they all seem to be based on their equivalents to the English "man" and "woman". Perhaps it will be decided that all language is discriminatory against women and will need to be eliminated. A new language, right from scratch, is needed, that completely bypasses gender. No description using it, would indicate the sex of a person (but wait, even that word has a "son" in it!).
Just to lighten the mood a bit, let me tell a true story.

Years ago, I had a contact, through my job, whose name was Dr. Wyman. The whole issue of gender-neutral language was really getting off the ground at that point, so someone jokingly said he should be called Dr. Wyperson. Then, as you can imagine, that was, also jokingly, changed to Dr. Wyperchild, which remained his nickname as long as I knew him.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really have an issue with the word "mankind," although I am willing to use "humanity" if it is more comfortable for others, as the substitution does not change the meaning of what I want to say, and it doesn't hurt me at all.

I still think a lot of people are missing the point here, and that is, when you deliberately ignore instructions given in a classroom, there will most likely be a price to pay. If the instructor tells you to use a particular dictionary or stylebook, that's what you use. This is pretty much the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies