Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 09:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No.

Two parties consented to a contract. Party A (the passenger) violated the contract.

He clearly initiated force.

I know my stance isn't going to play well in here as I use the normal consistent and logical definitions of things.
Nor will it play well in court when United pays a hefty settlement. You keep stating something about "the contract". Please show me where it says that they can pull you from your seat AFTER boarding for no other reason than just because they now want the seat for a non-rev flyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Where are you getting these 'facts?'

Links?

The passenger didn't agree to ANY terms saying he could be bumped and must deboard the plane.

The contract of carrier United tried to weasel behind only applies to those who have NOT boarded. And even at that United didn't follow the contract, since Dao was never given a written explanation on why he was chosen and any compensation offer. He was simply told to get off via a cowardly way by United via airport rent a cops.

United has ZERO basis for any of their actions from a contractual basis. Nada. Zilch.

Why do people have to make stuff up to suit their agendas when the facts are staring at then from the computer screen?
United employees maybe?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Nor will it play well in court when United pays a hefty settlement. You keep stating something about "the contract". Please show me where it says that they can pull you from your seat AFTER boarding for no other reason than just because they now want the seat for a non-rev flyer.
I don't understand why airlines are not required to get their boarding roster FINAL before letting anyone on? I can understand adding late comers if they have openings but all this takes is a new FAA rule that all passengers have to be booked and approved before boarding. Maybe I don't understand the issue since I hardly ever fly.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
They didn't. It went to $800.

I'm not surprised no one took it. Like I said huge difference between pre boarding and being on the seat ready to fly.
I'm not surprised either $800 is peanuts. It's unbelievable how some on here are defending corporate rights tooth and nail over individual rights. Totally disgusting.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:47 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
I once watched a family take too long to get to the gate. The plane had loaded and the man of the family was trying to get the agent to haul people off the plane since the seats were theirs.

The agent kept patiently explaining that only if they showed up on time were those seats theirs.

After they headed off to ticketing to see what could be done to salvage things, the agents were talking about what a fiasco it would have been to have had to remove passengers.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:48 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Scapegoat? Do you understand what this word means?

United Airlines is not bearing the blame for the actions of others. They are bearing the blame for their own actions.

The "Dr. Screamy Pants" is juvenile name calling and reflects poorly on you.

Actually they are bearing the blame for the actions of the Chicago Dept of Aviation security officers.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I once watched a family take too long to get to the gate. The plane had loaded and the man of the family was trying to get the agent to haul people off the plane since the seats were theirs.

The agent kept patiently explaining that only if they showed up on time were those seats theirs.

After they headed off to ticketing to see what could be done to salvage things, the agents were talking about what a fiasco it would have been to have had to remove passengers.
Amazing story, I guess I had no clue that happens. I guess I can see the airline's POV. They have to have bodies in those seats, unless they just make late comers pay and no refunds. Imagine that outcry.

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The contract says that they can be denied boarding. It does NOT say that they can be forcibly removed once boarded if the airline overbooked...or wanted to accommodate 4 of their employees.

Rule #25 in their contract. Read it. UA violated their own contract, not the passenger.
That's good info. After reading that I can def see the passenger getting a lot of money. That also makes me feel better as a flyer.

But what about him getting up and leaving then coming back? If he agreed, came back and that's when the violence occurred. Seems irrelevant as far as what the contract says.

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don't understand why airlines are not required to get their boarding roster FINAL before letting anyone on? I can understand adding late comers if they have openings but all this takes is a new FAA rule that all passengers have to be booked and approved before boarding. Maybe I don't understand the issue since I hardly ever fly.
Me either.

This made some kind of sense when all tickets were refundable, before computers and online reservations, but it makes no sense now.

And there is no excuse whatever to drag someone off who's already boarded and seated. This hardly constituted a dire emergency. ("Poor planning on your part does not make an emergency on my part.")

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The contract says that they can be denied boarding. It does NOT say that they can be forcibly removed once boarded if the airline overbooked...or wanted to accommodate 4 of their employees.

Rule #25 in their contract. Read it. UA violated their own contract, not the passenger.
Interesting.

If that's the case then United was the aggressor.

USA Today had an article on all this saying the contract is 37,000 words!

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...ory/100331176/

United should have shown the passenger with a physical or digital copy of the contract which tenet he was being removed by as he sat in his seat. If it was sound, then United would be right.

Thanks for the clarification.

If United really wanted him off the plane they could have found something in the contract...I'm sure. Just like that article I linked talks about it's heavily favored toward the airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies