Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 10:12 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
#1 - He wasn't "beaten".

#2 - It wasn't United that manhandled him.

#3 - Who says a customer shouldn't be serviced only at the pleasure of the servicer?
My mother was is a car accident years ago. She was hospitalized for injuries and her hospital course was complicated by negligence in the hospital. The hospital was a state run(university) hospital therefore its lawsuit amount had a cap. Her attorney successfully sued the insurance of the other driver for ALL injuries including those she sustained from her medical care. Apparently, if the driver had not caused her to be hospitalized, she would not have been exposed to the negligent care that caused her additional health problems.

In the same way, the airlines created the situation and then invited their thug friends to help clean up their mess. The airline will be ultimately responsible for all injuries, pain and suffering, and humiliation of this passenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 10:16 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Bad analogy, tenants have much stronger rights and protections than nearly an other scenario where "service" is involved.

Use a bus or a taxi instead. Use a restaurant. Use a movie theater.
How about a hotel? If a hotel is overbooked, should they tell the customer that he cannot stay that night but instead, stay the following night?

Old 04-14-2017, 10:19 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If the airline breached their contract by removing Dao, they also did by removing the other passengers who were boarded and instructed to leave. They do not owe Dao any more than they owe the other passengers who left the plane.

Anything beyond that should be between Dao and aviation security.
Nope. Security was working on behalf of United. They'd of never entered the plane except at United's
demand. United staff did nothing to stop the assault.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
I was correcting a false statement. Does truth and accuracy not matter?

Does the point at which the man started screaming have any bearing on what happened, or his injuries? Exactly how does your insistence on this accuracy as to timing impact how he became injured, to be relevant to the issue?

Quote:
Everyone? Has the Chicago Dept of Aviation come out with a statement to that effect? I haven't seen one, but I haven't been looking, either.

The point is, if the doctor hadn't been attempting to cling to his seat as they were trying to remove him from the plane, this would never have happened. IF you feel you were wrongfully removed from a plane/ denied service - take civil action.

The last I read the security officers were suspended and their agency apologized for their actions and admitted it wasnt handled right. Do you have evidence to contradict this?

As to civil action, how far did that get anyone unhappy with those rules set in place by those having a monopoly on commercial flying? And how much impact did one man simply choosing to not go along meekly with " the rules" have on this practice?

You ever hear of civil disobedience?

Old 04-14-2017, 10:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash
<more personal hatred>
Sorry, I no longer have the patience to entertain your nonsense. Keep posting personal attacks against me and I'll keep making clear that you clearly have some personal hatred for me that you refuse to reveal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Anything beyond that should be between Dao and aviation security.
True, but just look how much emotionally-driven blindness to facts and realities have driven some of the perspectives people are expressing on this issue. It seems clear that nothing rational will govern the resolution of this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The hospital was a state run(university) hospital therefore its lawsuit amount had a cap. Her attorney successfully sued the insurance of the other driver for ALL injuries including those she sustained from her medical care.
Isn't that exactly the kind of abuse of tort law that so many people have been complaining about in recent years, that which is driving up the cost of insurance for everyone beyond affordability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
You ever hear of civil disobedience?
Yes. Have you? The willingness to protest is itself noble because it is a sacrifice. Gandhi went to jail, peacefully. He didn't claim exemption from the consequences of his actions. He didn't demonize those who took him into custody nor the guards who kept him in custody. He invited the consequences he incurred because he felt it would give him an opportunity to draw attention to what he felt was injustice.

This passenger wasn't standing on principle. He just didn't want to be personally inconvenienced and felt that he was superior to others and didn't need to comply with the rules that another couple already complied with. If it were civil disobedience, the passenger would have invited being placed under arrest, not resisted it.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Sorry, I no longer have the patience to entertain your nonsense. Keep posting personal attacks against me and I'll keep making clear that you clearly have some personal hatred for me that you refuse to reveal.

True, but just look how much emotionally-driven blindness to facts and realities have driven some of the perspectives people are expressing on this issue. It seems clear that nothing rational will govern the resolution of this matter.

Isn't that exactly the kind of abuse of tort law that so many people have been complaining about in recent years, that which is driving up the cost of insurance for everyone beyond affordability?

So that would a no, you cant show me where you presented truths I couldnt handle.

Have a nice day. Try doing better next time

Old 04-14-2017, 10:25 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Boy, this thread has run and run. Now it's about not only the good doctor, but hatred of certain religious groups. Waaaaal, I'm English, not religious, and I have no idea what UU's are........

The argument seems to be from those who believe the airline were within their rights removing this man, and others who say he is a martyr deserving of our respect, and one step behind Rosa Parks.

I see it, as I posted much, much earlier in this thread. Doctor Dao, after three passengers had left the plane, refused to be the fourth. At first, the authorities tried to convince him in a quiet, official manner. No dice said Dao.

He was then told in no uncertain terms he would be removed by force if necessary. He then muttered allegedly things like 'kill me now.' We all know how confined the area around this forced removal is on a plane. Dao then started screaming like a big girl before, and as the removal took place.

His hitting his face on the seat opposite would have been an accident as the security dealt with this struggling man. He was then dragged off the plane by his hands. Apparently, he then returned somehow running down the plane aisle.

He has no one but himself to blame for being hurt. He should have kept his dignity, and upon realising he was leaving the plane whether he liked it or not, got up and left the plane. Instead, he chose to be forced off.

Now the lawyers, salivating over the on plane videos, and the damage to Dao's face and dignity, are closing in for the kill like circling sharks.

He is a hero some claim. Yeah, right.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:27 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Watch the video, he was screaming long before he hit his face on the armrest of the seat across the aisle.

You intentionally misrepresenting facts does nothing to bolster your position. In fact, it does the very opposite.
You are wrong.

I just watched the video and the man did not scream until the security guard launched into him.

Why lie about something so easy to check?

Old 04-14-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Yes. Have you? The willingness to protest is itself noble because it is a sacrifice. Gandhi went to jail, peacefully. He didn't claim exemption from the consequences of his actions. He didn't demonize those who took him into custody nor the guards who kept him in custody. He invited the consequences he incurred because he felt it would give him an opportunity to draw attention to what he felt was injustice.

This passenger wasn't standing on principle. He just didn't want to be personally inconvenienced and felt that he was superior to others and didn't need to comply with the rules that another couple already complied with.

Your opinion of the guy is irrelevant. He didnt go away meekly like a sheeple, but stood his ground and said " Im not being treated this way" (figuratively) . Civil disobedience against authority doesnt have to be for a noble cause, standing up for your own personal rights qualifies also. And all airline passengers have now gained the right to sit in their seats and refuse to be booted because this guy did it first. Even the sheeple who demonize the guy for not being as meek and compliant as they would be .

Old 04-14-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Boy, this thread has run and run. Now it's about not only the good doctor, but hatred of certain religious groups. Waaaaal, I'm English, not religious, and I have no idea what UU's are........

The argument seems to be from those who believe the airline were within their rights removing this man, and others who say he is a martyr deserving of our respect, and one step behind Rosa Parks.

I see it, as I posted much, much earlier in this thread. Doctor Dao, after three passengers had left the plane, refused to be the fourth. At first, the authorities tried to convince him in a quiet, official manner. No dice said Dao.

He was then told in no uncertain terms he would be removed by force if necessary. He then muttered allegedly things like 'kill me now.' We all know how confined the area around this forced removal is on a plane. Dao then started screaming like a big girl before, and as the removal took place.

His hitting his face on the seat opposite would have been an accident as the security dealt with this struggling man. He was then dragged off the plane by his hands. Apparently, he then returned somehow running down the plane aisle.

He has no one but himself to blame for being hurt. He should have kept his dignity, and upon realising he was leaving the plane whether he liked it or not, got up and left the plane. Instead, he chose to be forced off.

Now the lawyers, salivating over the on plane videos, and the damage to Dao's face and dignity, are closing in for the kill like circling sharks.

He is a hero some claim. Yeah, right.

You conveniently forgot to mention that UA and security have apologized, admitted their mistakes, and changed their policies.
Which innocent parties in the right dont do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies