Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 09:37 AM

522 posts, read 992,509 times

Advertisements

Some percent (5%, 10% or whatever x%) of the LE should not be in LE at all. They have physique and strength and what not but don't have common sense. They act like robots i.e. programmed to do things a certain way with all people irrespective of the offending person's age or physique or nature. Might as well replace them with robots.

Also, United airlines need to hire some quality people starting from the top right down to the bottom and while they are at that also try to understand human behavior and feelings. If no passenger volunteered, was there nobody who realized that what they are offering is pennies compared to what passengers would have to give up? Why did they not offer $5,000 or $10,000?

I have full sympathy for the passenger who was off-boarded. I hope he gets compensated by the courts not only for the injuries but for all future loss of patients to his practice because of this video. If he would have given up silently like others, issues like these would never come to the forefront and airlines would be free to offload passenger to suit their employee and business needs or poor-planning.

My wife and I was denied boarding once because the airlines had to accommodate others who missed the connecting flight the previous night (only one flight every 24 hours with a 18 hours non-stop duration). My wife was 4 months pregnant and we were made to stand for 3 hours at the check-in while we were pleading to let us on the aircraft. And this is for a flight booked 3 months in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Because we have one government (ie no competition) and they actually make the rules. Airlines on the other hand don't get to make the rules (in theory, minus lobbyists and our crony capitalistic system) and have other competing businesses that we can move to if we dont like how we are treated.

Being more of a libertarian I value choice, and in your scenario of government vs capitalism, there is no choice in the government side of the equation, which is exactly why its important to limit their powers to the very clear cut, enforceable and necessary laws required for a functioning society.
Oh, please. It's laws that allow the airlines to get away with crap like this. They are the direct beneficiaries of the government, in this instance.

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, you need to ask your lawyer about this.

Whenever such action is necessary or advisable by reason of weather or other conditions beyond UA’s control including, but not limited to, acts of God, force majeure, strikes, civil commotions, embargoes, wars, hostilities, terrorist activities, or disturbances, whether actual, threatened, or reported.

The airline got their ass covered. Like I said, the thing they did wrong is putting their hands on the man.

Once you put your hands on the man, you are doomed.
LOL. It's not a condition beyond UA's control. Overbooking is WITHIN UA's control - don't sell that many tickets.

I'd grant the plaintiff as much as possible if I were on the jury.

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, you need to ask your lawyer about this.

Whenever such action is necessary or advisable by reason of weather or other conditions beyond UA’s control including, but not limited to, acts of God, force majeure, strikes, civil commotions, embargoes, wars, hostilities, terrorist activities, or disturbances, whether actual, threatened, or reported.

The airline got their ass covered. Like I said, the thing they did wrong is putting their hands on the man.

Once you put your hands on the man, you are doomed.
The "beyond UA’s control" is phrase you want to focus on here.

This was not beyond UA's control. Far from it. They were the cause of this unfortunate incident.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What part don't you understand that he was bumped and told to leave the airplane like the other three passengers. He failed to comply, thus causing disruption.
A disruption wholly instigated by the actions of said airline. Your point?

Old 04-11-2017, 09:39 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There was a time when they offered a free ticket to fly anywhere for people to get off the plan. Plus a meal voucher and ticket on next flight out.

Looks as if they don't do that anymore.
NO, and coach flying is torture. How is this a surprise? I just saw a video about a month ago of someone being dragged off a plane just like this. It's like some experiment with rats to shove people ever closer in a skinny tube and see what happens.

We let this go on and more people are flying than ever. Corporations will get away with as much as they can, like employers do. Why should they care about us if they do not have to. They can set the rules. Maybe someday we will have to sing a song and beg to get on board and people will still do it.

Fly cheap, take your chances.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL. It's not a condition beyond UA's control. Overbooking is WITHIN UA's control - don't sell that many tickets.

I'd grant the plaintiff as much as possible if I were on the jury.
I would too, your second paragraph, but the airline got their ass covered. They have the right to remove him.

You can ask your lawyer, like I said. The airline is not LEGALLY wrong to remove him, they are wrong of putting hands on him and causing him bodily injury.

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Oh, please. It's laws that allow the airlines to get away with crap like this. They are the direct beneficiaries of the government, in this instance.
The airlines operate as a cartel. It isn't real competition.

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exactly, none of this covers removal because the airline couldn't get it organized at the gate to deny boarding.
BINGO! In the age of computers there is no excuse for a crew needing to be somewhere else not providing enough advance notice to the boarding team to have handled this right in the boarding lounge, as every other Airline I've ever flown does.

I have seen passengers collecting their stuff from overhead bins to leave but it has been a rare occurrence indeed and they have usually been made agreeable beforehand.

This is the age of instant communications and for United to not have it show up on the gate's boarding computer that 4 more souls will need accommodating long before the gate opened for boarding is something of a mystery.

That gentleman is going to have lawyers camped outside his door drooling to get a piece of this action.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And then confirming that overall exigency by then allowing him to return to the plane? Yeppers; a lawyers wet dream right there.

"Fly the Friendly Skies" is going to take a major hit over this one with their direct routes to/from China feeling the backlash.

The good that comes out of this will be a general attitude develop to avoid overbooking at all costs and to handle all such instances prior to passengers actually boarding the flight.

"Fly the Friendly Skies"? ... any 'friendlier' and they would have been carrying him out in a body bag.
United should let their own 4 employees find another flight instead of kicking off paying customers. The responsibility for this goes straight to the top. I for one have made a note to never fly United again if there are alternative carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies