Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 01:12 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,488,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Notice how in your link it keeps talking about "denied boarding". As in not on the plane yet. No where does it state that you can be bumped once you are boarded.
Well if you go back up to Rule 5, they can cancel your entire reservation for reasons deemed advisable and necessary related to things beyond their control. No reservation, no seat, please deplane.

What's missing from this story is why at the last minute the 4 crew members had to be on this flight. All I have seen is that they were needed on a flight the next morning.

We have no information regarding whether this was poor planning on United's part, or whether these crew members were impacted by travel/mechanical delays elsewhere that were outside the airlines control.

We also don't know if there were other options available to get the crew to Louisville by the time they had to be off duty to fly again the next morning.

Even if United caused the entire situation, they then had to decide remove 4 passengers from the flight in question or cancel/delay an entire flight the next morning and probably impact even more flights and more passengers. But, if this scenario was caused by things outside their control, I think they legally have a good case. They have a right to run their business how they want, even if their decisions end up looking bad for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 01:12 PM

51,735 posts, read 26,032,028 times
So the corporate United Airlines folks called the citizen-paid police officers to haul a citizen off.

They didn't charge the citizen with a crime. Didn't arrest him. Nothing. United Airlines wanted his seat, so they forced him to give it up.

United Airlines robbed this man of the seat/flight he had paid for and used the taxpayer-funded police to enforce their theft?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-11-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-11-2017, 01:14 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,052,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Well if you go back up to Rule 5, they can cancel your entire reservation for reasons deemed advisable and necessary related to things beyond their control. No reservation, no seat, please deplane.
Nothing in Rule 5 applied to him.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:15 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,488,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Acts of god are covered.. not failure to schedule your employees.

We don't know that there was a failure to schedule employees.

For all we know, weather was involved in the delayed crew missing whatever their original travel plans were.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
... But, if this scenario was caused by things outside their control, I think they legally have a good case. They have a right to run their business how they want, even if their decisions end up looking bad for them.
That is the crux of it. Do corporations have the right to treat citizens any way they please?

Do consumer protection laws mean nothing?

Old 04-11-2017, 01:16 PM

15,822 posts, read 12,517,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
one reason I try to get to the gate early for the first boarding..........it is customary that if your seated...... later arrivals are subject to being "bumped".. not you if already seated.
It gets complicated in a hub like Chicago where your first leg/connecting flight can arrive late. Not the passenger's fault.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,007,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I just had a funny thought.

If, as has been suggested, the liberals on here are being paid by Soros, and the Trump people are being paid by the Russians, who is paying all these folks defending United?
LOL! I'm a Democrat and defending the airline up to a point. However, I think dragging a 69 year old man off of a plane is criminal and I'm guessing he'll get his day in court. Still, we always tend to blame the authorities and now we're learning this "good doctor" is a convicted felon.

Honestly, would some of the people who are outraged be posting the same comments if we didn't first hear he was a doctor or that he was 69? If the initial reports was "a convicted drug dealer was dragged off a plane" wouldn't the reactions be different?

Again, a victim's past shouldn't matter but in past incidents they were always brought up, so why does he get a pass?

Old 04-11-2017, 01:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,456,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
LOL! I'm a Democrat and defending the airline up to a point. However, I think dragging a 69 year old man off of a plane is criminal and I'm guessing he'll get his day in court. Still, we always tend to blame the authorities and now we're learning this "good doctor" is a convicted felon.

Honestly, would some of the people who are outraged be posting the same comments if we didn't first hear he was a doctor or that he was 69? If the initial reports was "a convicted drug dealer was dragged off a plane" wouldn't the reactions be different?
He appears to be a physician in good standing...currently licensed in KY. This of course has absolutely nothing to do with the facts of this situation.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:

What's missing from this story is why at the last minute the 4 crew members had to be on this flight. All I have seen is that they were needed on a flight the next morning.

We have no information regarding whether this was poor planning on United's part, or whether these crew members were impacted by travel/mechanical delays elsewhere that were outside the airlines control.

We also don't know if there were other options available to get the crew to Louisville by the time they had to be off duty to fly again the next morning.

Even if United caused the entire situation, they then had to decide remove 4 passengers from the flight in question or cancel/delay an entire flight the next morning and probably impact even more flights and more passengers. But, if this scenario was caused by things outside their control, I think they legally have a good case. They have a right to run their business how they want, even if their decisions end up looking bad for them.
It makes no difference what United's flight crew situation was.

It's a four and a half hour drive. They could have loaded them up in a Town Car.

They could have offered $1350 and two free round trip tickets anywhere United flies.

They could have been organized and done this all in the waiting area instead of on the plane.

They had options. They picked a poor one.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,917,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It will happen like this:

A United lawyer will get a hold of the original passenger manifest. It will demonstrate the flight was not overbooked.

A deal will be cut.

And meanwhile, all the insiders who shorted united stock will pocket some hefty loot.

Wanna bet?

And others will score on the bounce back up.

Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies