Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 03:29 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
LOL! I'm a Democrat and defending the airline up to a point. However, I think dragging a 69 year old man off of a plane is criminal and I'm guessing he'll get his day in court. Still, we always tend to blame the authorities and now we're learning this "good doctor" is a convicted felon.

Honestly, would some of the people who are outraged be posting the same comments if we didn't first hear he was a doctor or that he was 69? If the initial reports was "a convicted drug dealer was dragged off a plane" wouldn't the reactions be different?

Again, a victim's past shouldn't matter but in past incidents they were always brought up, so why does he get a pass?
I won't speak for anyone else, but I'd be posting my same comments, in support of the passenger dragged off the plane, even if he was the Wal-Mart greeter!

I don't care who he was, or wasn't. If he purchased a ticket, a contract between him and United Airlines, to fly him from point A to B at a specific time, and there were no weather or mechanical difficulties present, and they wanted his seat for reasons of lack of corporate planning, or just plain back luck on the part of United Airlines, and he's already boarded and quietly sitting there, there is no way in heck he is, or should be obligated to give up his seat.

This was simply a ham handed and incredibly stupid way to handle this situation. You cannot defend it on any ethical or moral terms. Yes, I understand airlines can do lots of things, and pilots have an incredible amount of authority on their planes, but there is a HUGE difference between what a person or corporation can legally do, and what is ethical, moral and makes sense to do. How many millions of dollars of customer goodwill do you think this little fiasco will cost them ?

This doctor may be the biggest ass hat the world has ever seen, but that doesn't make a difference if he was legally boarded and quietly sitting in his seat minding his own business before all this took place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 03:29 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Individual rights do not include acting insanely in a tight public space when armed officials are obviously determined to see you removed. You shut up, get up, and get off the plane. If you were wronged, you sue, and collect later. But he didn't do that. He acted like an insane banshee, screaming at the top of his lungs and challenging those with the guns to a physical altercation inside a commercial airliner. Any retard knows that is not the place to make such a stand. He got what he deserved. He violated the rights of everyone around him to enjoy a safe trip in a sensitive space - the interior of a commercial airliner.

And then played the race card. Something tells me this lowlife smelled an opportunity. And grabbed the brass ring when it presented itself.
There is no requirement that he comply with an illegal order. And the place where one chooses to make a stand is up to the individual. And if United and the government agents had not been total jerks he would have carried the day. The asinine and irrational actions of the United people and the officers has already got one officer suspended and one or more United people likely in trouble. Even the CEO admits the incident was horrific.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:30 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You don't like this guy, do ya?
No I don't. Unreasonable people endanger all of us. And especially on a plane nowadays with all the Islamic terror incidents happening on an almost daily basis, you need to keep your sh** together and follow orders.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There is no requirement that he comply with an illegal order. And the place where one chooses to make a stand is up to the individual. And if United and the government agents had not been total jerks he would have carried the day. The asinine and irrational actions of the United people and the officers has already got one officer suspended and one or more United people likely in trouble. Even the CEO admits the incident was horrific.
The CEO is knuckling under because of the fallout. He hasn't changed his mind, just his political statement.

And you do not try a legal case with armed security people in a plane in America in 2017. You shut the eff up and get off quietly. Legalities can be determined and processed later.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:34 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Here is how it is done, and how it needs to be done, and why it needs to be done.

I got bumped from a flight. Then I sued - CNN.com

This lowlife endangered everyone around him, and while the collectivists and the SJWs are ganging up on United, I am here to say that they handled him correctly, and he got exactly what he deserved, given his obstructive and belligerent and non-compliant behavior.
You need to look around at who is complaining about United. People from across the political spectrum are appalled.

There were many, many ways United could have handled this, but calling the cops to haul a paying customer off the plane was ridiculous.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
No, wrong. You don't determine what is "lawful" on the ground, in a plane, when armed personnel tell you to get up and get off. You shut up, comply, and deal with it in court at a later date. It's common sense. Same principle as those who confront police officers because they think they are "right". They're wrong too. You follow orders and if you are wronged you retain counsel and deal with it later in the appropriate venue.
No it is not. And we should not comply with illegal directives. Just a week or so ago a cop claims that it is illegal to film him. The filmer kept right on going and was not even arrested. The reason of course is the cop was lying and knew it was not illegal.

What on earth does "armed" have to do with anything? If I am armed do you feel obligated to do what I order?

And in general these things are not fixable in the courts. There is no relief there. And the expense of undertaking it generally rules it out for most. So you either refuse or let the system push you around.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
No it is not. And we should not comply with illegal directives. Just a week or so ago a cop claims that it is illegal to film him. The filmer kept right on going and was not even arrested. The reason of course is the cop was lying and knew it was not illegal.

What on earth does "armed" have to do with anything? If I am armed do you feel obligated to do what I order?

And in general these things are not fixable in the courts. There is no relief there. And the expense of undertaking it generally rules it out for most. So you either refuse or let the system push you around.

Here is what we may be dealing with:

United passenger traded drugs for gay sex with patient | Daily Mail Online

Old 04-11-2017, 03:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I won't speak for anyone else, but I'd be posting my same comments, in support of the passenger dragged off the plane, even if he was the Wal-Mart greeter!

I don't care who he was, or wasn't. If he purchased a ticket, a contract between him and United Airlines, to fly him from point A to B at a specific time, and there were no weather or mechanical difficulties present, and they wanted his seat for reasons of lack of corporate planning, or just plain back luck on the part of United Airlines, and he's already boarded and quietly sitting there, there is no way in heck he is, or should be obligated to give up his seat.

This was simply a ham handed and incredibly stupid way to handle this situation. You cannot defend it on any ethical or moral terms. Yes, I understand airlines can do lots of things, and pilots have an incredible amount of authority on their planes, but there is a HUGE difference between what a person or corporation can legally do, and what is ethical, moral and makes sense to do. How many millions of dollars of customer goodwill do you think this little fiasco will cost them ?

This doctor may be the biggest ass hat the world has ever seen, but that doesn't make a difference if he was legally boarded and quietly sitting in his seat minding his own business before all this took place.
Lol, the "contract" does not state that at all. Read your terms and conditions please...

As mentioned numerous times, the adult thing would be to comply, and settle the matter after the fact, as does numerous adults every day who are wronged.

I got a ticket before, I was right, the cop was wrong. I did not argue, put up a fight, nothing, I just accepted it, went to court, and won.

But at that, the guy was in the wrong, United did nothing illegal, they were not even the ones who used force to remove him.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:40 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
His past has absolutely nothing to do with this incident.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:

What was illegal about it?

You contradict yourself, you state it is an "illegal directive", yet you state "and in general these things are not fixable in the courts." If what they were doing is illegal, it is remedied in court.

The other passengers and numerous others over the decades in the same circumstances did not have any issues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies