Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:47 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
When travelers to our country rape or kill one of us some say~"we have criminals too"
There's far worse and plenty of examples right here at home of illegal invader murderers.
So, basically you're OK with what they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 08:02 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Haven't you seen bad-mannered Germans in our national parks? I certainly have, and I don't go around calling all Germans names. There are a-holes everywhere, and anyone who generalizes a whole country's population on a few a-holes is just as bad.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:15 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Lawyer disputes viral racist rant

Apparently, the wrong people are being blamed. At least, that's how it's sounding in Memphis' Commercial Appeal newspaper. Then again, if the people being blamed are the people in the photo, I have to point out all the grease in that guy's hair. And she's the kind of woman who would become involved with a man who has greasy hair, apparently. So really, who knows?

Did some druggie rednecks steal the Loeb's phone, and then call the restaurant? Did the restaurant concoct the scandal? Has that guy in the YouTube picture ever heard of SHAMPOO? I want answers!

Memphis Couple Under Fire, Accused Of Racist Rant; Lawyer For
How do you know the wrong people are being blamed? Because of a guy's greasy hair? Seriously?

The story in the commercial appeal is waaay too complicated to be true. Sounds contrived. She was telling her friends to talk trash about a restaurant she didn't like? Isn't that petty?

Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The behavior of this American couple on the island of Turks and Caicos has been reported around the world. The couple repeatedly hurled racial slurs at hotel employees to the point that they have been banned from returning to the resort.

American travelers often have a negative reputation. It has to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFZ4b2rcvj4

I have been all over Europe and for the most part was treated pretty good. Some folks had their minor dislikes and you could read it in their facial expressions or body language, except for one young man, who appeared to think I was German and that idiot (in a country that borders the Mediterranean) start giving me a Nazi salute. I was appalled BUT I did not base my judgement of the people from that country on the idiocy of a single stupid man.

There are idiots, racists and generally ignorant people in every country and culture. Should we base our entire view of the country or culture on the acts of individual imbeciles or even a few of them? I don't think we should. After all, doing so would show us being just as racist (as in this case) or otherwise prejudicial of others, doing the exact same thing we are criticizing the ignorant people we see do these things.

Maybe that is something to consider.

But then again, that's just MY opinion.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:31 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Soon to be unemployed idiots.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:38 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I have been all over Europe and for the most part was treated pretty good. Some folks had their minor dislikes and you could read it in their facial expressions or body language, except for one young man, who appeared to think I was German and that idiot (in a country that borders the Mediterranean) start giving me a Nazi salute. I was appalled BUT I did not base my judgement of the people from that country on the idiocy of a single stupid man.

There are idiots, racists and generally ignorant people in every country and culture. Should we base our entire view of the country or culture on the acts of individual imbeciles or even a few of them? I don't think we should. After all, doing so would show us being just as racist (as in this case) or otherwise prejudicial of others, doing the exact same thing we are criticizing the ignorant people we see do these things.

Maybe that is something to consider.

But then again, that's just MY opinion.
The vast majority of Americans I have met have been pleasant, polite and of genrous nature, and completely the polar opposite to those shown on that video.

The truth is there are small minorities of idiots in every country and nationality.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
These people acted like idiots. This is hardly an epidemic.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Extreme outliers prove the rule.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:44 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
The behavior of this American couple on the island of Turks and Caicos has been reported around the world. The couple repeatedly hurled racial slurs at hotel employees to the point that they have been banned from returning to the resort.

They were just blending in... when in Rome do as the Romans......

You do know it would be the height of prejudice to judge the behavior of two Americans and apply that characteristic to all Americans.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:46 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:

Racism is a human condition that we all suffer from. The deniers and finger pointers are the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies