Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 AM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times

Advertisements

The state of Michigan requires that a US flag be in every classroom. However, some are starting to oppose such laws.

For example, UC Davis had required the student senate to have a US flag on display, but it wasn't being followed and they changed the rule to make it only by request if the leader of the student senate agrees.

Some of the arguments made in making the flag optional include:
-Federal Law doesn't mandate it.
-Patriotism is shown in different ways for every individual.
-The flag may represent offensive things for other individuals.
-You can't force a pledge of allegiance, so why a displayed flag on campus?
-It would be totalitarian to require that he US flag be flown at the student government body meetings.

A UC Davis senator in favor of flying the flag, claims to be a 1st generation American and claims to have received an email threatening violence against him for supporting the automatic display of the flag and another that was racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 05:10 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I wonder what flag they are displaying?

Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The state of Michigan requires that a US flag be in every classroom. However, some are starting to oppose such laws.

For example, UC Davis had required the student senate to have a US flag on display, but it wasn't being followed and they changed the rule to make it only by request if the leader of the student senate agrees.

Some of the arguments made in making the flag optional include:
-Federal Law doesn't mandate it.
-Patriotism is shown in different ways for every individual.
-The flag may represent offensive things for other individuals.
-You can't force a pledge of allegiance, so why a displayed flag on campus?
-It would be totalitarian to require that he US flag be flown at the student government body meetings.

A UC Davis senator in favor of flying the flag, claims to be a 1st generation American and claims to have received an email threatening violence against him for supporting the automatic display of the flag and another that was racist.
If that student received threatening emails, I think the ones who sent them should be punished appropriately.

I do not, however, think that displaying the flag should be mandatory, and it's not for any of the reasons listed above.

The flag is a symbol of freedom (at least to me it is). When you mandate its display, you rob it of that distinction. We have an American flag on our house. I'm happy to have it there, but the minute someone told me we HAD to fly it, I would feel like taking it down.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:22 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
When you mandate its display, you rob it of that distinction. We have an American flag on our house. I'm happy to have it there, but the minute someone told me we HAD to fly it, I would feel like taking it down.
Agreed -- when the flag is flown on your property.

But the case in question involves public property, in a nation where the free and open exchange of information is supposedly guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. In this case, a group of malcontents has apparently decided that that guarantee is superseded by their "collective wisdom". (?), and have recruited among those who subscribe to the "thug mentality" to enforce their "thinking".

As Tocqueville recognized nearly two centuries ago, unless carefully monitored, rule by "the people" tends to degenerate into rule by the mob -- as is happening here.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-18-2017 at 05:42 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

But the case in question involves public property, in a nation where the free and open exchange of information is supposedly guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. In this case, a group of malcontents has apparently decided that that guarantee is superseded by their "collective wisdom". (?)
How is forcing a group of students who have decided, as a group, that they don't want to display the flag at their meetings, that they must do so anyway, a free and open exchange of anything?

Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
The flag should fly on campus property. Period.

It doesn't need to be in the classroom.

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Just my opinion, but if you think the American flag is offensive, and you are offended by the men and women that died for what that flag represents, then you should get out of here and not come back. Ever.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-19-2017 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: language

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

But the case in question involves public property, in a nation where the free and open exchange of information is supposedly guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. In this case, a group of malcontents has apparently decided that that guarantee is superseded by their "collective wisdom". (?)
I'm not clear on how you get from the Bill of Rights and "Free and open exchange of information" to "Per California law, American flags must be flown on California-owned property."

It would be more accurate for your little "libertarian curmudgeon" to say "authoritarian curmudgeon."

Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I'm not clear on how you get from the Bill of Rights and "Free and open exchange of information" to "Per California law, American flags must be flown on California-owned property."
When state property becomes a factor, the issue gets cloudy. If the group decides to (temporarily) take down the flag, I don't have a problem with it -- so long as they put it back when they leave. Ditto if they want to fly a rainbow flag, or a hammer-and-sickle.

But it's like the story of the group of six-year-old boys who found a turtle, couldn't determine its sex, and "voted" it male; didn't change the fact that it began to lay eggs a few days later.

So pass the bottle (or the bong, or the binkie) around, little fellows, and celebrate your "victory" -- reinforced, as usual, by intimidation of those who don't see things your way.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-18-2017 at 06:24 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 06:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
It isn't about the flag, it is the symbolic gesture of having the freedom to choose.

Andy anybody that doesn't see that and starts to bicker about respecting the flag is missing the point.

I think it is a silly gesture but it does address the fact that in the USA we talk about freedom of choice, etc....but then impose all kinds of symbolic restrictions that really do 'restrict' freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies