Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:49 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My goodness. So after 2 degrees you want to take on a third one? Not enough debt yet? Aren't you sick of school?

I myself have two degrees but both are for my current career. My company wants me to go back to get an MBA. They offer to pay for all of it. At this point in my life (early 30s), I'd rather shoot myself in the head than sit in a classroom again. There's only so much of that crap I can take. Some people thrive in school. Not me. To me, school is a means to an end. If I can't find a gun for myself, I'll slit my own throat instead. Anything to not have to go back to school.

One minor FYI for future references, it's respectively, not respectably. No biggie.
No response for the marketable jobs I have with my degrees. Yes a license where I'm making 20-30 dollars an hour with good retirement possibilities as well as career growth is worth it..

Especially as I will be obtaining it without going into any more debt.

I have around 75k of debt. If I can make around 75k per year annually, then it is still a good investment.

I'm in a better position than many college grads. Not looking for anyone to "fix" the problem or receive any government bailouts like so many attempting to milk the taxpayers.

Last edited by Mikelee81; 04-18-2017 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Donald Trump isn't going to create jobs or fix your problem.

In fact, Betsey DeVos signed off on not requiring loan servicers to meet requirements that Obama had signed into an order... ones that involved proper financial counseling and educating borrowers on repayment options that would help them.

She said she didn't see the justification for these services. So, now the ranking system that will give preference to servicers who provide such assistance is gone.

Know what that does? Allows the banks that DeVos is involved with to service loans.

You have GOT to love the Trump Administration. Always so helpful for those in need.

Of more money. Because they are rich already and greedy as hell.

Like, you know... their families and friends.
The foundation of the problem is not something that can be fixed easily, and yes anything that leads to strengthening the private sector while getting government out of business in this country is helping fix the overall problem.

Here I go on an educational rampage again to educate those that are ignorant on city data.

The entire problem stems from government guaranteed student loans. With no risk to lenders and a promised return on investment, both the amount and number of student loans increased. The increased demand for seats increased tuition FAR BEYOND rates adjusted for inflation.

Everyone, their mom, up to including the President of the U.S. is selling college to young minds claiming their is no success economically without a degree. The govt ends up taking over loans entirely to "fix" the problem they created. It's interesting that Student Loan debt is not capable of declaring bankruptcy on.

"The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender"

What we see today.. is a surplus of degrees that DON'T MEET THE MARKET NEED FOR SKILLS.

With kids that were able to take out 3 to 4 times what is financially reasonable to get the degree.

I can go on and on.. what's sad is how many times I have to educate the so called educated left.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Cool story, i was not aware liberals did this to you? Did they? Did a liberal make your choices, did a liberal make you get multiple degrees?

Or maybe , just maybe for every Conservative with debt there is a Liberal too. Maybe just maybe the problem lies with college costs and not "liberals " at all.

In fact i would say college would cost a hell of a lot less if we were able to bring in more "liberal" ideas like government oversight instead of "free markets" determining the costs..

example? WA, here when costs got too bad the state turned around and stopped the public schools from continuing the endless increases and capped them....

It is a start. Now we need to do this much more across the whole nation and have the US federal gov help fund it , perhaps by taxing private schools designed for the uber wealthy and lucky "winners".

I tire of folk accusing liberals of being responsible for their own problems.

Nice try, but there is a systemic issue going on. One in which yes both parties are to blame, but in which the Democrats are a poster child for socializing higher education. It's just a confirmed fact.

Unlike many of the liberals, I am not asking for any "forgiveness" or bailouts for the situation I'm currently in. In fact I will make it out to be a positive scenario, even though I think it's clear i overpaid for the education.

And as for the economy, yes Obama is very much in the hot seat for blame. 9 Trillion dollars and all he did was blow up the multiple proverbial bubbles. At least Trump sees that our fantasy consumer-hog, healthcare economy that lives off paying bills with a credit card and devaluing currency accurately as a false economy which ultimately is unsustainable.

How about I add in artificially low interest rates.. etc etc.. I can go on and on. And the joke is they were planning on raising minimum wage, which would certainly put many small businesses locally here out of business..

Only the corporate survive... and they call Trump the fascist.

It just goes to show with all this overpaid education, people are just not all that smart.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Degrees don't equal skills. We need devs and engineers, not JDs and MBAs.
Absolutely, we need another Lawyer like we need more Illegals. My company went on the MBA rampage and paid for almost our entire Engineering staff to get MBAs in the 2000s. An Engineer or Designer that sits in front of a computer all day does not need an MBA.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Some of the college degrees are useless so it should be difficult to choose those as your major. I dont know how the college or govt would regulate that. Students should be pushed towards earning STEM degree or diploma. I often come across people who went to college to study arts or psychology but couldnt find a job so they learnt a software to get a job in technical field. So you have a political science major working under architects & English literature graduates assisting with graphic designing in video gaming industry. Only their 6mo. crash course on the design software came in handy in the real world.

For every 10 useless majors there should be 100 STEM graduates. Most of you will end up doing a technical job anyways so why waste your money on worthless majors? Cry & scream all you want but companies will find a way to locate better candidates overseas. Work needs to get done so they are not going to put up with your low-educated, entitled theatre/music majors when they can find a cheap professional out of the country. No politician will be able to help you when big companies lose money because of incompetent workers.
What works for an individual doesn't for a group. The expansion in education has to a large extent become a credentialing arms race, so the many employers looking for train-ability rather than explicit skills who a generation ago would have just wanted a degree, period, now want something quantitative and/or from somewhere elite. It's not about the coursework (engineering/CS/grad-school-prerequisites excepted), it's about what the coursework signals with respect to intellect and work ethic.

Non-merit college admissions play a role too. STEM generally has right and wrong answers to questions; there isn't the same degree of grade inflation and social passing that there is in the humanities so you end up with a bunch of merit admits and non-merit admits that can still hack it (and are therefore likely just as good as the first group) left in the majors at graduation. Again, this is signalling, not narrow skills. If enough people without the underlying ask acquire the signal, it will weaken and employers will move onto the next filter for entry-level.

Lots of people want to hire physics majors. Very few of them need anything related to the coursework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies