Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 04:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Many people who are opposed to vaccines hate being called "anti-vax". It's just so, you know, negative. It implies being against something. So they've come up with new jargon. A big one is "vaccine safety". You will see/hear all told number of anti-vaxers saying they're pro "vaccine safety", including Jenny McCarthy, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Jill Stein. (Stein, I should add was really just pandering; I think she knows better.) McCarthy has gone on to other pursuits since she's decided her son isn't autistic after all. Kennedy has written some virulently anti-vax stuff about the latest meningitis vaccine and sent it to the editors of newspapers in college towns, all the while proclaiming to be "fiercely pro-vaccine". He also claims vaccines cause autism and has compared vaccines to the holocaust.
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.: Doing the math on meningitis vaccinations - Boulder Daily Camera
Chloe Mugg: A rebuttal to RFK Jr. on meningitis B - Boulder Daily Camera
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Compared Vaccines to a Holocaust

An anti-vax blogger using the psuedonym Guggie Daly has written an article on preferred terms. You can read it here: https://issuu.com/naturalmothermagaz...ury_2017_final (Article starts on p. 78) The whole purpose of this new vocab is to discredit vaccines while appearing to have a higher moral stand of "vaccine safety".

In point of fact, vaccines are very safe now, and more research is continuously being done to improve their safety even more.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
i am not against vaccines, i am against being forced to take these vaccines. people keep saying that we should have choices in everything, we should decide whether or not we take what ever drugs we want, even heroin cocaine, etc. and then these same people turn around and say that we must get vaccinated.

we either have freedom of choice, or we dont.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am not against vaccines, i am against being forced to take these vaccines. people keep saying that we should have choices in everything, we should decide whether or not we take what ever drugs we want, even heroin cocaine, etc. and then these same people turn around and say that we must get vaccinated.

we either have freedom of choice, or we dont.
You have freedom of choice up until your freedoms start running the risks of killing others.

And even then I kind of agree-you SHOULD have the freedom to not vaccinate your kids....if they aren't going to public school. And are willing to be sentenced for anyone who dies if they get something easily preventable.

You want the freedoms, without the responsibility.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:47 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,944 times
Not yet ANOTHER thread from someone who appears to be statist, demanding we all conform to THEIR will, beliefs, morality and dictates by being vaccinated for every damn thing under the sun.

...in real Liberty, people are Free To Choose...

Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You have freedom of choice up until your freedoms start running the risks of killing others.

And even then I kind of agree-you SHOULD have the freedom to not vaccinate your kids....if they aren't going to public school. And are willing to be sentenced for anyone who dies if they get something easily preventable.

You want the freedoms, without the responsibility.

More utter insanity from people who are incapable of comprehending beyond their own simple thoughts and prejudices.

Name a SINGLE drug manufacturer of ANY vaccine that guarantees you will never get that disease/virus if you get vaccinated with their vaccine.

I use to get flu vaccines every year and every year I did, I caught the flu, typically twice. Now that I haven't had a flu vaccine in about 5 years, I also haven't had the flu in about 5 years. Go figure.

I'm serious... name a SINGLE drug manufacturer of ANY vaccine that guarantees you will never get that disease/virus if you get vaccinated with their vaccine. You can't, so stuff your holier than thou claim of putting people in prison over transmitting a communicable virus. Even with a vaccination everyone can still be a carrier.

I am NOT anti-vaccine. I am anti-statism.

Good grief!

Last edited by KS_Referee; 04-19-2017 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 05:05 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
More utter insanity from people who are incapable of comprehending beyond their own simple thoughts and prejudices.

Name a SINGLE drug manufacturer of ANY vaccine that guarantees you will never get that disease/virus if you get vaccinated with their vaccine.

I use to get flu vaccines every year and every year I did, I caught the flu, typically twice. Now that I haven't had a flu vaccine in about 5 years, I also haven't had the flu in about 5 years. Go figure.

I'm serious... name a SINGLE drug manufacturer of ANY vaccine that guarantees you will never get that disease/virus if you get vaccinated with their vaccine. You can't, so stuff your holier than thou claim of putting people in prison over transmitting a communicable virus. Even with a vaccination everyone can still be a carrier.

Good grief!
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that a vaccine will stop you have getting sick, it will simply lower the risk of getting it or if you do get it should be less severe. The problem with the flu vaccine though is that there are several strains that can cause the flu and the vaccine really only protects against one, the medical community basically guesses which strain will be the likely one to infect the most people in the season.

Vaccines are helpful though for other illnesses, for example chicken pox was nearly eradicated in the U.S. Until people stopped vaccinating their kids and now it's making a comeback in certain parts of the U.S.. I think we've also had a recent outbreak of mumps in children which could be partly due to parents no longer wanting to vaccinate their kids?

Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that a vaccine will stop you have getting sick, it will simply lower the risk of getting it or if you do get it should be less severe. The problem with the flu vaccine though is that there are several strains that can cause the flu and the vaccine really only protects against one, the medical community basically guesses which strain will be the likely one to infect the most people in the season.

Vaccines are helpful though for other illnesses, for example chicken pox was nearly eradicated in the U.S. Until people stopped vaccinating their kids and now it's making a comeback in certain parts of the U.S.. I think we've also had a recent outbreak of mumps in children which could be partly due to parents no longer wanting to vaccinate their kids?
I was going to respond to that posters nonsense as well...but...well you covered it mostly.

I might add the bit about herd immunity, and why I feel that if someone catches something that can be vaccinated against, the non-vaccinated person should be 99% responsible for the other people who catch it from them.

Vaccines arent 100%, but just like when someone punchs another person, who then falls down, hits their head, and dies...they get prosecuted for it. So should people not taking vaccines.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post

Can a person who has been vaccinated for chicken pox and mumps get either? If the answer is yes, then they (or their parents if they are a minor) should be free to choose whether or not to get vaccinated. A vaccination does not prevent people from being carriers, so the claim that someone who isn't vaccinated and therefore could cause harm to others is nonsense because being vaccinated will not prevent a person from being a carrier of the virus, even if just for a few hours.

That said... why are some so adamant that others should be compelled to be vaccinated, or as the person above spewed, be sentenced for a crime over a communicable disease? How is some demanding others must get vaccinated not statism?

There is no reason, other than following the money transferred from big pharma to politicians willing to take that money if they pass laws which compel compliance so big pharma can make billions selling their snake oil that they won't even guarantee works. No logic to this compelled to comply concept at all.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I was going to respond to that posters nonsense as well...but...well you covered it mostly.

I might add the bit about herd immunity, and why I feel that if someone catches something that can be vaccinated against, the non-vaccinated person should be 99% responsible for the other people who catch it from them.

Vaccines arent 100%, but just like when someone punchs another person, who then falls down, hits their head, and dies...they get prosecuted for it. So should people not taking vaccines.

How can you POSSIBLY even suggest that someone who didn't get vaccinated CAUSED someone who did get vaccinated to catch a communicable virus? Either the vaccine works, and those who were vaccinated won't catch the virus, or it doesn't. The FACT that you conveniently leave out that EVERYONE, regardless of whether or not they were vaccinated, can be a carrier of a communicable virus is quite telling about your willingness to disregard facts as long as you can impose YOUR will, beliefs, morality and dictates upon everyone else in society.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:27 PM

23 posts, read 13,243 times
I really don't get it.... why are you all so against vaccinations?? A lot of the diseases that they help to protect you against have horrible consequences, especially for the young/old/immunocompromised. Not everyone can get vaccinated because of medical complications, so they are protected by others getting the vaccines to reduce transmission (herd immunity). Just refusing because of "personal freedom" seems selfish to me. By not being vaccinated if you are able to, you are directly putting your close contacts, friends, neighbors and family at increased risk.....Is it like a fear of needles or something, or what??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies