Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:43 PM

55 posts, read 39,990 times

Advertisements

Let's say it all gets shown in gory detail, the IP address sources, every website, every download, all of it, for anyone to see.

Apart from some mild embarrassment, would you be in any trouble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:48 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
You mean they don't already know?

Call me paranoid but I always took it that someone was always watching.

Having lived life like that, why should I worry NOW?

Old 04-26-2017, 02:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Well let's see. A guy is interviewing for a job. Maybe a corporate job. The corporation subscribes to "browsinghistoryisyours" and looks up the guy. He finds out the guy wears XXL underwear, shops at Walmart, subscribes to men's magazines, has a wife who likes to shop - a lot. She wears a size 20, size 11 shoes and shops at Lane Bryant. They are looking at debt consolidation offers. The company decides this guy is a potential problem and they pass on him.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:14 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,360 times
I imagine some sort of full history will be the norm someday. Information from hospitals, local and federal government, employers, online stores etc could be integrated. Of course right now we would not accept this but gradually each generation will give in a little.

If this open history was launched tomorrow, everyone would be divorced. In a few generations, gradually, could be accepted.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:28 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Well let's see. A guy is interviewing for a job. Maybe a corporate job. The corporation subscribes to "browsinghistoryisyours" and looks up the guy. He finds out the guy wears XXL underwear, shops at Walmart, subscribes to men's magazines, has a wife who likes to shop - a lot. She wears a size 20, size 11 shoes and shops at Lane Bryant. They are looking at debt consolidation offers. The company decides this guy is a potential problem and they pass on him.
It can go both ways or any way.

As the common person, sure, my browsing history might hurt me. But I am not a common person, I'M A SPY!, and I will use many, many devious methods to gain the information I need. I get a kick out of it how, even though I'm not their fan by any definition of the word, I've used Greenpeace data bases to achieve my conclusions. Whenever I'm talking to someone, anyone, I am probably running an analysis in some part of my head of what can be learned from the conversation for new weapo, errrrr, tools.

So, are they hiring me as a common person or for my ability to find answers (and with 4 earned university degrees on my resume, I'm talking to the wrong people if they aren't in the latter).

It's like when a company asks one in an interview to reveal their social media and passwords. Essentially, the answer should be like this: "Now, wait a minute. You are looking to hire me and expect me to keep your secrets safe yet you want me to violate my security protocols now? You would expect me to deny any bribes to reveal your information yet you hang the prospect of a job infront of me to release mine? The answer is no, both ethically and by training.".

AND.......it can go other ways. During the Bush Administration, I was with the Sierra Club and they wanted to go down to Padre Island to build sand animals to protest drilling. It seems peaceful enough but I am aware enough to know that such things attract attention, attract the press, and I could just picture a security interview with someone sliding a picture from such an affair, of me, and saying, "Can you explain this, Ms. Ounce?".

Be very aware of what you do, be ready to explain and defend what you have done, especially when it involves all the work you have put into your life.

All this rather reminds me of being in the intelligence community once. Inside, you just assume that someone is always looking over your shoulder and carry on from that. Back during the Cold War, a girl in my belly dance class was an immigrant from a Warsaw Pact country and I had to report that contact, that I had a classmate like that, to my superior security agency, one of those alphabet types.

She was shocked that I had to report that.......but when you are part of the intelligence world, that's just the way it is and you accept it and carry on.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:32 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCT View Post
Let's say it all gets shown in gory detail, the IP address sources, every website, every download, all of it, for anyone to see.

Apart from some mild embarrassment, would you be in any trouble?

I wouldn't be, but I'm sure plenty would be.

There is a huge difference between a search engine or website sharing your data which is limited to just what you do on that site, and your ISP who has access to EVERYTHING YOU DO sharing it.

Politicians that passed this are, as usual, inept idiots.

That was some story Tamara

Old 04-26-2017, 03:41 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
This was the plot of South Park last season. I didn't watch (no TV) other than a bunch of clips, but I read a lot about it. It was an interesting thought experiment. What happened was the Danish created an application called, I think, "Troll Trace," and unleased it on the world.

Troll Trace was completely free to everyone and didn't require any log in. It could be used to instantly look up the entire multi-decade digital communications history for everyone on the entire planet. Every text. Every email. Every download. Every search. Every transaction. Every keystroke. Every URL. Every public and private communication, whether under an assumption of anonymity or not.

And it caused the utter collapse of all society...

...until somebody "cleared the cache" and deleted every last byte of digital data on the face of the entire planet. Human civilization suddenly went back to a time before the advent of computers. And it was glorious. Humanity got a do-over. And then the first email was sent, and it was a d|ckpic.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
I guess I won't be googling "Salma Hayek breasts" anymore.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:56 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I wouldn't be, but I'm sure plenty would be.

There is a huge difference between a search engine or website sharing your data which is limited to just what you do on that site, and your ISP who has access to EVERYTHING YOU DO sharing it.

Politicians that passed this are, as usual, inept idiots.

That was some story Tamara
And quite close-mouthed about their reasons.

I contacted both of my Senators and my Rep and asked just HOW they thought allowing the sale of peoples' browsing/search histories was serving the people, the job they're allegedly doing.

So far only one response which was a lame deflection about trying to ease regulatory burdens brought about by the FCC or some such BS with NOT ONE WORD addressing the question I actually asked. I will continue to Email this buffoon, everyday if need be until he actually decides to answer the question he's asked.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
What consumers need to do is demand that their information not be sold. I foresee an ISP provider advertising such a policy in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies