Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:20 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
You couldn't pay me a $300k salary to live in the middle of nowhere Nebraska or Wyoming. After cost of living I'd much rather be in NYC making $50k. Period.

There is a reason why places people actually want to live are expensive.
If you made $50k in NYC, you're living in your car. Actually that's not true-you wouldn't be able to afford parking in the Rotten Apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 01:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Thanks....perfect Snowflake liberal who sticks his/her head in the sand.
The feature works for anyone who chooses to use it, it's not offered only to liberals. FWIW, my ignore list is rather short, and has at least two liberals on it. It's not always about not wanting to be exposed to opposing views. I do tend to block people who clog up a thread with post after post that do nothing more than repeat the same argument over and over. It's sort of like a forum version of earplugs to shut out a dripping faucet.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If you made $50k in NYC, you're living in your car. Actually that's not true-you wouldn't be able to afford parking in the Rotten Apple.
NOT true at all.
Brooklyn’s Median Household Income Is Less Than $45,000 - so apparently it IS possible to live on $50,000/year - in part because roughly HALF of the apartments are under rent control. The greater NYC area has over 1 MILLION such units.

New York City census data: Manhattan and Brooklyn are much poorer than you think.

Ken

Old 05-14-2017, 01:27 AM

Quote:
There must be people who manage it, though. I mean, NYC has McDonald's and Starbucks, too, right? And no, I am not sure how they do it, I only know that they must, somehow.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:31 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There must be people who manage it, though. I mean, NYC has McDonald's and Starbucks, too, right? And no, I am not sure how they do it, I only know that they must, somehow.
Rent controlled housing.

Ken

Old 05-14-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Rent controlled housing.

Ken
There is that, but isn't it hard to find one? I think part of it may also be that not all of Brooklyn is the hip and trendy location that has gotten so much attention lately. Brooklyn is a big place.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:37 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
NOT true at all.
Brooklyn’s Median Household Income Is Less Than $45,000 - so apparently it IS possible to live on $50,000/year - in part because roughly HALF of the apartments are under rent control. The greater NYC area has over 1 MILLION such units.

New York City census data: Manhattan and Brooklyn are much poorer than you think.

Ken
SO do you have any data to back up your HALF of apartments under rent control and if so, how much rent is paid in these apartments?

Old 05-14-2017, 01:38 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,546 times
Quote:
Could be in Mommy's basement since she has a rent controlled apartment.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:37 AM

4,146 posts, read 2,842,214 times
Quote:
Oh please, just stop it.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:37 AM

30,398 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
But, see, that's the whole thing. I'm assuming (and I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong) that "standard of living" refers to material possessions, and can be measured, but it's only one element of quality of life, which is quite subjective. Some people's ideal life might be a big house in the country, surrounded by acres of their own land, while people who crave the non-stop action of a city might shudder at the thought of living anywhere that doesn't have shops, clubs, restaurants, and galleries within walking distance.

There are so many elements that go into a person's preference for one part of the country over another that it seems silly to me to try to pick just one.
Yes I agree with you that people have different priorities but yes the term "standard of living" refers to the monetary things you can buy. Quality of life has a much more broad base of consideration.

I've lived and worked in Shanghai, Beijing, Seoul, Moscow and I very much enjoy the lifestyle available in big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies