Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 06:50 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Never mind the OP's statement that he has "openly engaged in obstruction of justice," which is totally false.

The Left have no idea what they are talking about.
The link to the specific part of the US Code is linked in this thread.

You can deny reality and refuse to read, but that doesn't make an accurate description false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 10:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
The impeachment of Donald J. Trump will get higher TV ratings than any other impeachment. I've give him credit for that.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:53 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
How has Trump engaged in "obstruction of justice"? And what are we going to impeach him over? I mean, I know everybody hates Trump -- said with tongue firmly planted in cheek -- but the fact that he won and the Left doesn't want to accept it, isn't an impeachable offense. Plenty of us didn't like Obama. Didn't mean he should've been impeached Just Because.

My feelings about Comey are mixed. On one hand, I feel bad for him because I think he was put in the middle of this whole thing by Obama/Loretta Lynch/Hillary when it was obvious Hillary had broken the law, but she was running for President, and they wanted to do everything they could to help her win. Had Comey done the right thing back in July and recommended she be prosecuted, she could've stepped aside, the Democrats could've run someone who didn't have that baggage, and who knows they could've won. Instead, the Democrats set aside their scruples to win, it blew up in their faces, and now they're bitter over it.

On the other hand, I think Comey should've been removed for not only letting Hillary slide, but not investigating the FBI leaks, the intel leak of Mike Flynn, and selectively acknowledging ongoing counterintelligence investigations, but not correcting the record to exonerate people who have nothing to do with it.

The truth is, he was trying Trump's patience by saying they're looking into Russia meddling including collusion by the Trump campaign. I think the FBI is doing a bit of rationalizing by implying Trump or his surrogates had anything to do with Russia meddling in the election. We didn't see a major leak of the RNC or the Trump campaign, and a couple of his campaign surrogates had business dealings with Russia that we know about, so they figure they might be involved somehow. I get it, but I also think any collusion with Russia by Trump or his campaign would've been found out by now. If it hasn't, and if it's true Comey told Trump he wasn't being investigated, I think Comey should've at least acknowledged that to both let Trump off the hook but also assure they were going to get to the bottom of what actually happened.

The head of the FBI can't tell a president whether they are being investigated or not. And the truth is, Trump was mad because Comey wouldn't pledge his loyalty. And he also didn't like Comey's answers at the hearings.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:05 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Watergate dragged on for 2 years. Be patient.....
^^^^^ Yes, this is true. Impeachment isn't a quickly done procedure, it takes time. However, Trump is actually speeding up the process, more every day, by some of the stupid things he is doing. It is like he is daring people to do anything to him.

I think the fact that impeachment is even being talked about is a good sign that it is a distinct possibility, but I do not see it happening any time soon.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:01 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The impeachment of Donald J. Trump will get higher TV ratings than any other impeachment. I've give him credit for that.
What "impeachment?" Where?

Old 05-14-2017, 01:58 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Enough with this impeachmetnt crap!

Old 05-14-2017, 04:31 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It was closer to one year than two, but it seemed like it was 3 or 4 at the time.

Trying to predict a time line on this is impossible right now. It's still far to early to predict anything just yet, and it could suddenly come to a dead end right now at any time, I think.

But if the investigations continue and gather steam, the pressure from them will speed things up, I'm sure.

The biggest difference I see between Watergate and the Comey investigations is the different cultures of the White House then and now. Nixon ran a tight ship with many well defined limits and carefully divided areas of responsibility. His White House was organized a lot more like a military than Trump's.

Nixon didn't have personality contests happening in the Oval Office. He ran a chain of command that was strict, and very few of his staff had easy access to his time and attention. Those who did kept the rest of the staff in tight control. When Nixon talked about stonewalling, he had a stone wall in place.

Trump thrives on chaos, has a short attention span, an even shorter memory, and very little self-control. He loves to keep his staff stirred up, and loves to contradict everyone and every thing, even himself.

That may speed an investigation up a lot more than the Watergate proceedings. The Nixon White House had a very unified response and a unified stance that had to be pried apart bit by bit to learn anything different from what was presented.

The Trump White House won't need much prying to take apart protected secrets. The more furiously Trump tries to keep something confidential, the easier it will be to get it from someone in the staff. He says values loyalty, but is actions disprove his words.
No, the biggest difference between Watergate and the firing of Comey is that Trump, as President, can fire the FBI Director ...who serves at his pleasure ...for any reason. It is entirely within his purview, and it is his decision to make. Trump has not violated the Constitution or any law in doing so. The FBI director may serve up to ten years, but that is entirely up to the President. That term is not guaranteed. He can always be fired.

This isn't Watergate, no matter how much the Left want it to be.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:30 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Now that Donald J. Trump has openly engaged in obstruction of justice (an impeachable offense) what do you estimate the timeline will be for the Cons in congress to start being AMERICANS and stop being partisan politicians?

I thought Cons always branded themselves as the "patriot" party. You have a total anti-American disgrace like Donald J. Trump at the wheel of this great country and you do nothing to stop him?
"Now that Donald J. Trump has openly engaged in obstruction of justice"

Sorry to burst your "I hate Trump" bubble but, your OPINION does NOT get Trump charged with ANYTHING!

"I thought Cons always"

That is what you get for THINKING you KNOW what cons want or think!

Old 05-14-2017, 05:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Look...

All this talk of impeachment is nothing more than pipe dreams unless tRump does something much worse than what he's pulled so far. He's a vulgar, ignorant slow learner who is constantly on the defensive due to situations of his own making. He's a petty small minded fool who wants constant strokes for his eggshell ego.

It's clear that he's totally unsuited for the job of chief executive. But the GOP is fine with all of that. They control both houses of congress and won't move a muscle towards impeachment no matter how poorly he performs. They know they have a dummy in the WH who will sign everything they put in front of him w/o bothering to read it. And they're ecstatic.

Russiagate will maybe lead to charges against some of his top campaign aides, but likely won't show much more than shady dealings and conflicts of interest as far as tRump himself is concerned. And the GOP congress has absolutely no problem with tRump's conflicts of interest.

No, unless tRump really screws up in a clearly criminal fashion, he'll be there until he quits or is voted out.

But the damage he'll cause the GOP will continue to be fun to watch.

Especially if the economy somehow mysteriously happens to take a dump as a result of a rudderless White House.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:30 AM

720 posts, read 501,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

The head of the FBI can't tell a president whether they are being investigated or not. And the truth is, Trump was mad because Comey wouldn't pledge his loyalty. And he also didn't like Comey's answers at the hearings.
Comey testified that Trump and his campaign were implicated in the Russia investigation during the House Intelligence Committee hearing about two months ago. It's not crazy to suggest he could correct the record to state that portion of the investigation is over, at least for now. I don't know if Trump asked for Comey's "loyalty", per se, but I don't blame him for being a little irritated and paranoid. With all the leaks going on and this ongoing Russia investigation that Trump "knows" he had nothing to do with, I'm sure he wanted Comey to be square about the extent and nature of the Russia investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies