Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 11:28 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Same with cons.

I have no interest in dating someone who isn't on the same belief or value level as me. Cons aren't even close so I just say no to cons.
This has nothing to do with cons (I assume you mean convicts). This is about someone who has different views politically or religiously with you. You certainly have a right not to date them if you do not wish, much to that other persons fortune I do believe, but if you close yourself off to not even talking with someone with opposing views I think you are doing yourself a disservice in not learning why they have that viewpoint and possibly even changing theirs or maybe your views. You can't learn and grow by staying within your own view in life.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:30 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
This has nothing to do with cons (I assume you mean convicts). This is about someone who has different views politically or religiously with you. You certainly have a right not to date them if you do not wish, much to that other persons fortune I do believe, but if you close yourself off to not even talking with someone with opposing views I think you are doing yourself a disservice in not learning why they have that viewpoint and possibly even changing theirs or maybe your views. You can't learn and grow by staying within your own view in life.
A. You assume wrong. B. I've dated cons in the past. No interest anymore.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:32 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Silly question. James Carville, spoke for the Democrats and Mary Matalin, spoke for the Republicans. A legendary couple and an amazing romance! They make my heart throb!

They say opposites attract. Carville and Matalin prove my opinion.

All I have to add is that you should keep your discussions out of the bedroom and away from the dinner table.

If it worked for them it could work for you. It could help if neither of you have rabies.
HA! Matalin must have the patience of a saint. I couldn't stand to be in the same room with that guy for too long.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Frankly people who won't be friends with, date or whatever someone with opposing views political or otherwise is closed minded. This is what bothers me today of the vocal left. Instead of seeking out discussions they shut down those who oppose their viewpoint. How can you either change someone's opinion or come to some sort of middle ground if you shut them out? I think if people sat down and discussed their views, not boo or make demands they not speak, they would find they have more common ground than not and that ground which you are on different planes can often be addressed to be satisfactory to both parties.
I agree with this post.

I honestly don't believe SOME People really know the true definition of conservatives and liberals.

To conserve is to save, in short.

I have a lot of TRUE liberal friends, they are NOTHING like SOME so called 'liberal' posters here on this forum.
Matter of fact, my future father-in-law is a liberal, I think he is more like the classic Republicans.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariatozz View Post
I'm currently seeing a man who flat out told me that he has and will reject any Trump Supporters. I don't blame him, especially since Trump has shown himself both in character and via his policies to be anti woman. Trump's Presidency sure has been one of the most divisive I've seen in politics.

Just like looks, worldview, and personality are things we use discriminate in the dating world, it seems fair game to me.

Recent stats show that people are less to marry across ideological lines anymore. Same with income. We're clustering into homogenous mating groups. Otherwise known as assortive mating. Moreso than previous generations.

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/da...g-class-divide

As a long time view of political punditry, I've always thought James Carville (D) and Mary Matalin (R) were pretty fascinating as a Washington power couple. Not sure what Matalin thinks of Trump or if she voted for him. Many longtime Republicans denounced Trump.

Would you date someone from your opposite political party? Why and why not?

I get that this could be viewed more appropriate in the Relationships section but given the context I think this could fit more better here. If the powers that be disagree they are free to move it.
definitely yes.

There would a lot to talk about with real content, instead of shallow talk with little content.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
The only smart ones are political and economic moderates.

So this thread is pretty stupid as liberals and conservatives are STUPID
There is a lot to be said for moderates, in that they have not succumbed to party lines and been brainwashed into voting the party ticket.

I think there are extremely smart people in both official parties. If not, the dumb party would lose 100% of the time.

However we have to accept that many of the posts at C-D from both sides of the fence are merely parroting party lines. This isn't a debate for them. It's mud wrestling "my party" indoctrination vs. "your party" indoctrination. The attitude is "my party is smart and your party is stupid, nah, nah, nah!"

Sad but true. That's why I treat political discussions as more humorous than serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
HA! Matalin must have the patience of a saint. I couldn't stand to be in the same room with that guy for too long.
I'll admit Carville drives me nuts too, but he is an amazingly intelligent man, and very eloquent! I enjoy listening to him just because I want to hear both sides of every issue! If anybody listens only to viewpoints that agree with their personal politics then they have learned nothing. Nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with this post.

I honestly don't believe SOME People really know the true definition of conservatives and liberals.

I have a lot of TRUE liberal friends, they are NOTHING like SOME so called 'liberal' posters here on this forum. Matter of fact, my future father-in-law is a liberal, I think he is more like the classic Republicans.
The meanings of the words have changed over the years, even over the last 4-5 decades.

Was Bill Clinton a fiscal conservative? Can anybody deny the wonders he did for the US economy?

Old 05-15-2017, 11:53 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
Love should have no boundaries. If you see someone you really like, and they absolutely have your attention. Why ruin it worrying about which way they vote. Politics shouldn't dictate who you should love or be friends with. I heard love conquers all things, and I'm sure two adult people can work through their politics. I'm pretty sure there are lots of examples, of couples getting along just fine all across this country in spite of their politics.

Last edited by ipaper; 05-15-2017 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
A. You assume wrong. B. I've dated cons in the past. No interest anymore.
Conservatives. Their gain then.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with this post.

I have a lot of TRUE liberal friends, they are NOTHING like SOME so called 'liberal' posters here on this forum.
Matter of fact, my future father-in-law is a liberal, I think he is more like the classic Republicans.
That is the problem when people shut out the others opinions, they don't realize they are closer in beliefs than party affiliation would suggest. You are open minded because you can see beyond the party label.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Ugh; I feel the same way about her; I could not STAND to listen to her.

Truth be told - both have already had their day.

I know people that married their political opposite in real life. It can work - but, boy, was this year's election a real test!

I've dated my political opposite - not sure I could marry my opposite but most people don't pay that much attention to politics as we on this forum do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies