Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

It came to me recently, the two are so different because they have a different philosophy on life.

Conservatives believe in "the carrot and the stick", and believe that life has to be exceedingly hard and difficult to motivate anybody to do anything/be productive

Whereas moderate liberals believe that we still do have to work, but would like to work together to make things just a bit easier.

I believe that the conservative philosophy is rooted all the way back to the Calvinists and Puritans who founded this country, the Puritans believed that if you were happy, that you were commiting a sin....

Thoughts?

Old 05-15-2017, 04:19 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Conservatives believe in God.
Liberals play God.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:20 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Certainly true for the kind of ultra-conservatism I was raised in, yes.

My parents will actually make unnecessary work for themselves so that they don't feel so guilty for having too much free or fun time. That way they feel superior (and closer to God) compared to all of those lazy bums on welfare who don't want to work.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:25 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
I think that is part of it. I think a lot of it comes down to "tradition vs progress." Conservatives want to preserve traditions at the cost of societal progress and liberals fight for societal progress even at the cost of traditions that a large number of people hold dearly. The level in which people naturally fear societal change plays a significant part in whether or not they will lean left or right.

I think both extremes have merit but get some things wrong. On the left, not all societal progress is good progress, even if there are good intentions behind it. On the right, not all societal traditions are just and worth preserving even if you personally hold those traditions dearly.

EDIT: I want to add that conservatism generally prevales where culture is more uniform and traditions are more deeply entrenched. Liberalism prevales in diverse societies with a wide array of cultures and traditions. This is why, with few exceptions, rural America is predominantly red while the urban areas are predominantly blue.

Last edited by bawac34618; 05-15-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 04:31 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It came to me recently, the two are so different because they have a different philosophy on life.

Conservatives believe in "the carrot and the stick", and believe that life has to be exceedingly hard and difficult to motivate anybody to do anything/be productive

Whereas moderate liberals believe that we still do have to work, but would like to work together to make things just a bit easier.

I believe that the conservative philosophy is rooted all the way back to the Calvinists and Puritans who founded this country, the Puritans believed that if you were happy, that you were commiting a sin....

Thoughts?
So you had an epiphany that resulted in a Straw man?

Don't you people proclaim yourselves to be really intelligent?

I mean, if I want to know a conservatives position. I can ask many of them and they will tell me pretty clearly. In fact, you can find this information out pretty easily on many sites that establish a mission statement to a given political ideology.

Don't mind me though, I do things the old fashioned way by asking and researching the facts of a given issue. I am not "up with the times" on the new way of doing things where you just make up some BS political false narrative about your opposition.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:35 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Certainly true for the kind of ultra-conservatism I was raised in, yes.

My parents will actually make unnecessary work for themselves so that they don't feel so guilty for having too much free or fun time. That way they feel superior (and closer to God) compared to all of those lazy bums on welfare who don't want to work.
I'm sure they straight up told you that.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:37 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Liberals believe people can't manage their own lives and want the government to run them.

Conservatives believe people can run their own lives and don't need the government to be the nanny to all.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Conservatives believe people can run their own lives and don't need the government to be the nanny to all.
Really? Conservatives are the ones wanting the government to police morality and impose Christian values. How is marijuana prohibition or banning gambling and Sunday alcohol sales not "nanny statism"?

Old 05-15-2017, 04:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Really? Conservatives are the ones wanting the government to police morality and impose Christian values. How is marijuana prohibition or banning gambling and Sunday alcohol sales not "nanny statism"?
Unfortunately, you don't know that most Republicans aren't conservatives.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

Thoughts?
It absolutely makes sense. Not for ALL conservatives but it certainly describes a great many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies