Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 11:39 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
No offense, but you're being a bit pedantic here IMO. The group organizing the walk-out is a group against Pence because of his conservative views on social issues. I think it's well-understood then that this group is going to be comprised of liberal students.
May I enlighten you?

Quote:
"Trump's administration is completely different than any in the past," says senior Maddie McGovern. The self-identified conservative draws a distinction between Pence's appearance on campus and that of other Republican leaders. "This is not about politics. Notre Dame should be standing up to this administration's hate speech."
Notre Dame students plan walk out during Pence speech - CBS News

Old 05-20-2017, 11:41 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why would Pence speak at an affiliate of the world's most nefarious crime syndicates?
Why would the Fed Gov fund such an institution? They do. With taxpayer money.

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Every school has a few quacks.
President Obama delivered the commencement address at Notre Dame in 2009 (as had George W. Bush, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter, and Dwight Eisenhower before him), but the University invited Pence instead of Donald Trump in the hopes of avoiding a “circus,” as the university’s president put it.

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It happens at religion-based colleges, so why isn't public funding available for K-12 education in the form of school vouchers?
Topic for another thread, don't you think?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:44 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
My cousin is a Notre Dame alum (both undergrad (earning Phi Beta Kappa), and law school). If my cousin had walked out on either graduation, my uncle (who gladly paid for said education) would have kicked his son's a**.

Both my father and my uncle received a Catholic education from elementary school through college, and both were altar boys. Their father...public K-12, but Jesuit re college and law school. Other cousins of mine on my father's side attended public universities, but I'm the only one of the grandchildren on that side who went through public schools prior to college. If any of my cousins read this thread...heads would start shaking in disgust re the plan.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:44 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Kinda like it was when folks threw tea in Boston harbor, eh?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It happens at religion-based colleges, so why isn't public funding available for K-12 education in the form of school vouchers?
why should it be, no one is making people send their kids to a religious school it's their choice. Having taxpayers pay for a religious education is about as stupid as it would be to suggest that church goers should be provided with free bus passes to go to church

Old 05-20-2017, 11:49 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
No offense, but you're being a bit pedantic here IMO. The group organizing the walk-out is a group against Pence because of his conservative views on social issues. I think it's well-understood then that this group is going to be comprised of liberal students.
Pedantic? Well, la dee da.

Well understood?

Perhaps these are patriotic students who object to Pence allowing a Russian agent have access to all our classified national security intelligence.

Perhaps they are conservatives who object to being tarred with the same brush as this bunch of traitors and grifters.

Perhaps they just don't want to celebrate by sitting and listening to someone lie to their faces.

Who knows, really?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:51 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You questioned if the group of walkers was liberal or not. I answered that it's assumed they are. I based that on the article linked in the OP, which says:

The protest is being organized by student activist group “We StaND for” in protest of Pence’s policies and their school’s gift of an honorary degree to the vice president. Specifically, they are walking out because Pence has “targeted the civil rights protections of members of (the) LGBT+ community, rejected the Syrian refugee resettlement program, supported an unconstitutional ban of religious minorities, and fought against sanctuary cities.

The core values of this group are not even remotely conservative. One could very reasonably and accurately conclude that these particular student protestors are liberal. I can't make you agree, but I do question how anybody could arrive at a different conclusion given the group's own self-identification of socially liberal causes.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:52 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
My cousin is a Notre Dame alum (both undergrad (earning Phi Beta Kappa), and law school). If my cousin had walked out on either graduation, my uncle (who gladly paid for said education) would have kicked his son's a**.

Both my father and my uncle received a Catholic education from elementary school through college, and both were altar boys. Their father...public K-12, but Jesuit re college and law school. Other cousins of mine on my father's side attended public universities, but I'm the only one of the grandchildren on that side who went through public schools prior to college. If any of my cousins read this thread...heads would start shaking in disgust re the plan.
With all this Catholicism in your family, it's surprising that you don't hold the words of the Pope in higher esteem.

Oh, well. That's the way it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies