Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 08:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Or they might find it easier to just get a job.
When the benefits are no longer equal to or better than what you can earn working, yeah many of those folks who are able will find work. As it is many work under the table for cash to supplement their benefits.
Yep, they work under the table and then scream someone else should pay "their fair share".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 AM

The welfare system holds people down. It discourages work. Make $1 above a limit and they lose benefits so they find jobs under the table. Meanwhile they are taking but not contributing.

Worse, they are losing time/experience. You can't walk off the street and demand the same wage as someone who has experience and has been working for years.

Any politician or political party who does not encourage work instead of welfare are hurting the people.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
a long way toward fixing the worker shortage simply by pushing work requirements to welfare programs that lack them, and strengthening the ones that already exist.

will call for giving states more flexibility to impose work requirements to get benefits, including Medicaid and food stamps. It might also include a call to reform SSDI to get people who are actually able to do work back to work. As it stands, only a tiny fraction of SSDI recipients ever re-enter the workforce.

Unfortunately, Democrats and their handmaidens in the press won't explain any of this, and will instead scream that Trump is "slashing" entitlement programs by $1.7 trillion and "gutting the safety net."
And how do you force the employers to hire those who are affected by work requirements when employers do not want to hire people with handicaps whom the government says don't qualify for disability or the long term unemployed?

Old 05-24-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
And how do you force the employers to hire those who are affected by work requirements when employers do not want to hire people with handicaps whom the government says don't qualify for disability or the long term unemployed?
See how poorly the government handout works? Able bodied people get the handouts, disabilities don't. Abuse is rampant and it has to be fixed. Read my previous post for your answer...

I'll bet you actually bought into thinking Obama was going to legislate your prosperity LOL.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Many on disability are not receiving any rent subsidies. There are waiting lists to apply for the waiting lists to get into an apartment now in many areas.
Where are they living now?
Seems they are already homeless and getting only 700$ a month check. And your just now worried that Trumps proposed budget is going to what? Make them homeless and broker.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:50 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
When you choose to grasp a bit more.... you may think on a broader scale.
Arrogance is a component of stupidity.

Quote:
It does not always take money to help people.... so you might want to understand there terms without the obsessiveness about the monetary aspect as your deterring factor.

I did not contest such, I merely pointed out that empathy is useless, it is a means for the arrogant to proclaim they understand, when the fact is.. they don't and they won't unless they also experience it. So sitting around going on about how you "feel" for someone in hardship is arrogant and self serving.

Quote:
As to the level of our systems and organizations of programming within our governance structure... it reaches broad, and when people stop tripping about whom they help and support the system that helps many in many ways, then you might figure out how to be a more humane person who is not quick to think others are morons because they have a care within their composure of being.
Understanding does not mean one needs to try to feel the same as another, I'd say one may look carefully at what is, understanding and it likely will be found to be quite expansive.
You are rambling, the point was that empathy is useless.

Quote:
I purposefully listed the definition as I did, because I knew it would be those as you, who will go to what you made bold, when the essence is exactly what I put... I know as such as you have displayed if I'd put the quantifiers as such, you'd go right to counting your pennies trying to find out how to hoard even more.

Yes, all part of your master plan.

You produce a lot of words, but none of it is of use. Considering the context of this discussion, I would say your response fits right in line with my point about empathy.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
See? My point exactly...
So many people are just mean spirited these days, and pretty brazen about too. Even if you fix the problem, I promise you they will just find something else to gripe about.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
My mother worked and paid taxes. AT 75 years old and she had a stroke. She tried to get help but was denied (a few dollars above the income limit). Yet young kids toting babies and we know of able bodied adults who were getting the help.

What do you think I'm thinking? She's not the only one this has happened to, we hear of this type of situation a lot. How compassionate do you think we feel?
Another reason why these services need to stop being income based. Its a sin to turn people away based on being a little over income guidelines and I truly mean that.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Exactly. And they don't want to hire people with criminal backgrounds which makes a whole other class of people highly unemployable.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:09 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The age of the compassionate conservative is dead.
Not quite. Conservatives donate far more than liberals to charity.

What conservatives don't want is FORCED charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies