Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:30 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I will respond with the following: if the bible commands violence, and the Koran commands violence, than why are almost all of the terrorist attacks, by Muslims and not Christians?
Yes - this is the question I posed to you.

What is it really about? Is it really just about religion? Or are there other drivers? Such as the decimation of a region in war that has been ongoing off and on for decades? Or the lack of education (REALLY BIG factor) and resources? Or just simple things like the lack of leaders or structure in daily life? Really try to imagine the life of these people (all people in the region, not those that are in ISIS) in destitution...

We (western countries) are not innocent in all of this, unfortunately. The fact that there is oil that we want has, of course, been a big part of all of this.

It is a complete mess, and it upsets me. And now we have to deal with ISIS because they are taking their battles to us in the western world more and more...which then drives us back to the region (creating a vicious self-perpetuating cycle).

I have no answers to these problems, by the way. No good answers, that is. Hussein was a horrible person in many ways - but he at least kept the country ordered. Of course we don't re-instate a dictator again, but we must seriously think of how to make this region sustainable again.

side note: there have been plenty examples of non-Muslim (e.g. Christian) terrorism in the past.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 05-23-2017 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 05:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
I will respond with the following: if the bible commands violence, and the Koran commands violence, than why are almost all of the terrorist attacks, by Muslims and not Christians?
The Enlightenment has not reached much of the Muslim world.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:36 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
I will take a stab at that from a Christian. I think Christians are less inclined to violence in the name of Christ today because we predominantly live in Democratic societies that openly allows criticisms and bemoaning of Christian crimes. Even open mockery of my faith have made openly Christian debate and self evaluation more common. Also the New Testament makes it clear that killing in the name of God is wrong in the woman cought in adultery.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
It is such a meaningless term and Trump has used it on so many people, that there is a greatest hits list. A so-called insult from a so-called president. The 'evil doers' in the world are laughing at him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ers/102047624/

Old 05-23-2017, 05:43 PM

589 posts, read 381,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The Enlightenment has not reached much of the Muslim world.
True, the only difference between the Muslims of today and those of the 6th century is electricity.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:54 PM

410 posts, read 398,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
We should be trying to understand what makes Islamic terrorist driven to do the things that they do. It isn't necesarilly religious in nature. Although that might be the justification...why do we see more Muslim terrorists than other forms of terror? Hint: maybe we aren't so innocent here. Maybe we should get the hell out of their region...
You are either a Muslim or a Dhimmi liberal who knows nothing beyond trite platitudes.

Is ISIS raping Yazidis women in Raqqa because of American foreign policy? Are Aby Sayyaf rebels waging war is Phillippines because of American foreign policy? Is the Jihad in Kashmir because of American foreign policy? Is Boko Haram kidnapping Chibok girls in Nigeria because of Satan America? Are Iran and Saudia fighting proxy wars in Yemen, Syria and Iraq because of you lot?

Old 05-23-2017, 05:58 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
You are either a Muslim or a Dhimmi liberal who knows nothing beyond trite platitudes.

Is ISIS raping Yazidis women in Raqqa because of American foreign policy? Are Aby Sayyaf rebels waging war is Phillippines because of American foreign policy? Is the Jihad in Kashmir because of American foreign policy? Is Boko Haram kidnapping Chibok girls in Nigeria because of Satan America? Are Iran and Saudia fighting proxy wars in Yemen, Syria and Iraq because of you lot?
What explains the chaos that is the Middle East? And where was that chaos before the last ~20-30 years?

I think we can all agree that ISIS is terrible and needs to be destroyed (I'm totally on that team, buddy) - but that is a completely separate topic. Why do Muslim terrorists exist? Why is the region in such disarray? Seriously consider that without jumping to your typical talking points.

Also, I think you can probably write a reply without some silly name calling. I'm assuming you're an adult, yes?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
I mean... I guess I agree with that. Not sure that's the wording I would've gone with... but sure.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:02 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,524,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Trump rightfully called Islamic terrorists as " Losers ''. I agree with that. They are often just that seeking to use Religion as a means to feel important.
I think saying loosers was a good thing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I disagree. LOSER is too nice of a name for 'em. They are terrorists, killers, murderers... you name it.
They are that, fitzy.
But Trump made a good point during his words on this attack.
He said they want us to call them monsters, they like that, so instead I am going to call them loosers.

I think well done.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:03 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
By calling these terrorist beasts "losers" he is essentially equating them with Rosie O'Donnell and other celebrities and opponents he has called losers. He has used the word "loser" so often that it has lost any and all meaning. That is a sad truth.
Pretty much the same as "racists".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies