Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times

Advertisements

If Trump is a fascist, he sure is doing a horrible job at it.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 AM

24,494 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Well when you consider that most people know very little about WW2 and the atrocities that Hitler orchestrated except what they have seen in movies I'm not surprised that they make the leap in comparing Trump to Hitler.

It is offensive to anyone that has a empathetic brain and offensive to everyone who voted for Trump in the hopes that he would do nothing more then actually enforce existing laws.

The same people who compare Trump to Hitler are the same ones who cheered when the Civil War Statutes came down. They have a dull fuzzy sense of history and their leaders can highlight certain aspects of the past to further their agenda.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
It seems to be de rigueur among political partisans to call the opposing party or its president, "Hitler" or "Hitler-like". Obama was called Hitler on many occasions as I can recall. I agree with you it is at best in poor taste and at worst highly offensive to call someone "Hitler". My only point being is that this type of comparison crosses party lines and both parties should be advised to tone down the rhetoric.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Thumbs down Comparison of Trump to Hitler

Anyone making that comparison is dumb.

It's a sure sign that they utterly lack the vocabulary/logic to present a cogent argument.

Same goes for comparisons to Stalin.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
To the people that use this comparison you have no idea how offensive this statement is to me and perhaps others I lost 4 relatives in the concentration camps and that statement is a reminder to me. There is no comparison and your constant use of this statement shows a lack of respect to all people that lost family in the concentration camps. Hopefully you are aware that not just Jews were exterminated in the camps but twins, Gypsies, deformed people, mentally ill people and enemies of the Third Reich. That statement is far more reaching than you realize. If you have any respect for the people that lost family this way you will stop using that comparison now.
Good post. I'm not sure if you are aware but in Germany, if you speak out against liberal beliefs just like liberals call you racist here for speaking out, the liberals in Germany call you a Nazi. It's name calling meant to silence people.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:45 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
I agree. The comparison is not valid and is in very poor taste. That needs to be said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I think most informed people realize that, although Trump is an idiot, he is not Adolf Hitler.
Mussolini would be a more accurate comparison:

Sort of a clown with an inflated ego who encourages intolerance and lies to his followers.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:55 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The are similarities in that it was a nationalist agenda and rhetoric. That's all. Trump is more of a Stalin or Mussolini than Hitler.
Nope, not a Stalin either. Stalin was responsible for more deaths than Hitler.

And Mussolini had his gangs of uniformed thugs.

There are plenty of actual problems with Trump, no need to turn people off to what you say by making these particular comparisons.

Trump surely has authoritarian attitudes, and makes way too many threats, but so far at least, exactly none of those threats have involved turning the military loose on Americans.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:58 AM

My uncles served in WWII, one a navigator and one in the South Pacific so I had an interest. The Germans were highly educated people and I wondered how anyone can have such a cultish hold on people like Hitler so I researched. In short, ...

Last edited by petch751; 05-24-2017 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 AM

How anyone can have such a cultish hold on people like Hitler. In short, ...

1. You need people who are hurting,

2. You need an enemy to blame. Hitler declared the Jewish people were to blame much like the left declares the rich (and the republicans) are to blame today.

3. You also need control of the media who espouses constant negative rhetoric against their perceived enemy.

4. Then you need a great speaker. In terms of speaking style, Hitler ramped up his speeches, Trump is not a political poet.

Hitler was a nationalist the same as Trump but Hitler wanted purity of the arian people, Trump wants to do what he can to protect the American people from incidence we just witness happened in the UK.

Anyone who buys into the left's name calling rhetoric is what Hitler referred to as a "useful idiot".

Old 05-24-2017, 09:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
When people make these comparisons (Trump, or Hillary, or Obama to Hitler, or Stalin, or even Mussolini), I generally stop paying any attention to anything further they have to say. It tells me they are just hysterical repeaters of internet memes. no useful or rational discussion is possible and they have nothing to say of interest.

I do not see why people are still making such comparisons to Obama or Hillary. Aside form being absurd, what is the point? However at least once a month I see someone posting such a comparison usually in response to a dumb trump comparison. No one has any credibility left when they do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies