Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:35 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times

Advertisements

Ever heard about how its done by those animals? Im a guy and Im crossing my legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 05:38 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
In our respective project roles, we would normally have interacted to some degree. I could not and would not have dealt with no reaction whatsoever to a guy dressed as such any more than had another appeared dressed as a clown or appeared in blackface. I was raised to recognize the difference between males and females and act accordingly and professionally to each. When someone presents themselves as a caricature of something they obviously are not, it's difficult to deal professionally or take them seriously, particularly when they expect to be recognized as that which they are not. If a coworker prowls the office on all fours and occasionally barks, should I say "Good dog!" and act as though all is normal?

No, this was a guy. Period. I made private inquiries with our security department and found his true name and history despite that he had been introduced as "Belinda" and was expecting to be treated and addressed as a female. A comment from that security officer was that "No one wants to be the first called to HR over this, so everyone is going along with it." I chose to leave as that program had pretty much jumped the shark by that time anyhow and was sinking.

Isn't acting towards another properly by what they truly are being civilized? See the dog example above.
The people in security who disclosed that information to you should have been fired.

Don't compare people to dogs.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:45 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
In our respective project roles, we would normally have interacted to some degree. I could not and would not have dealt with no reaction whatsoever to a guy dressed as such any more than had another appeared dressed as a clown or appeared in blackface. I was raised to recognize the difference between males and females and act accordingly and professionally to each. When someone presents themselves as a caricature of something they obviously are not, it's difficult to deal professionally or take them seriously, particularly when they expect to be recognized as that which they are not. If a coworker prowls the office on all fours and occasionally barks, should I say "Good dog!" and act as though all is normal?

No, this was a guy. Period. I made private inquiries with our security department and found his true name and history despite that he had been introduced as "Belinda" and was expecting to be treated and addressed as a female. A comment from that security officer was that "No one wants to be the first called to HR over this, so everyone is going along with it." I chose to leave as that program had pretty much jumped the shark by that time anyhow and was sinking.

Isn't acting towards another properly by what they truly are being civilized? See the dog example above.
You realize that you just compared being a woman to being a dog, in a way?

You shouldn't be treating people at work differently based on gender anyway. Professional behavior is professional behavior.

The only thing you had to do was respect his decision to change his name to Belinda. It really shouldn't have been that big of a deal. Do you not wonder why it bothered you so much?

Old 05-25-2017, 05:47 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Recently a doctor in Detroit has been charged with Female Genital Mutilation. I'm wondering why it is a crime to cut off part of skin, but not a crime to cut of a ________ and turn it into a ________ or vice-versa? Maybe some liberal out there could explain this to me?
What part of mutilation are you not grasping, exactly?

Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Don't compare people to dogs.
You're right. I sincerely apologize to all dogs everywhere.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You shouldn't be treating people at work differently based on gender anyway. Professional behavior is professional behavior.
And professional behavior includes proper appearance. Just as I would not show up at work in blackface, a Nazi stormtrooper uniform, or dressed as Darth Vader, I expect others to dress properly as well. An obvious man in a wig, dress and makeup is inappropriate. If as Vader I point to someone, must they clutch their throat and pretend to choke?

Quote:
Do you not wonder why it bothered you so much?
Uhm, how about because I was raised to recognize what is real and what is not? If I dress as Santa Claus and demand coworkers sit on my lap and tell me if they've been naughty or nice, should I expect no repercussions? Or that no one will challenge my desires to do so and have them go along with it?

Old 05-25-2017, 06:05 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
And professional behavior includes proper appearance. Just as I would not show up at work in blackface, a Nazi stormtrooper uniform, or dressed as Darth Vader, I expect others to dress properly as well. An obvious man in a wig, dress and makeup is inappropriate. If as Vader I point to someone, must they clutch their throat and pretend to choke?

Uhm, how about because I was raised to recognize what is real and what is not? If I dress as Santa Claus and demand coworkers sit on my lap and tell me if they've been naughty or nice, should I expect no repercussions? Or that no one will challenge my desires to do so and have them go along with it?
I have nothing further to say to you and your willfully ignorant comments. Welcome to ignore.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:

But, you weren't required to alter your behavior at all just because he wore clothes you didn't like. That's really all it comes down to. The comparisons to pretending that you are being choked by Darth Vader or petting a dog are stupid because you were not being asked to do anything at all except to mind your own business.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
But, you weren't required to alter your behavior at all just because he wore clothes you didn't like. That's really all it comes down to. The comparisons to pretending that you are being choked by Darth Vader or petting a dog are stupid because you were not being asked to do anything at all except to mind your own business.
I, along with everyone else, was expected to address a man in drag by a female-only name, pronouns and protocol, and the women were expected to share bathroom facilities with him despite their discomfort at doing so. If I expected to be addressed as Lord Vader in meetings and deferred to, what would be different?

Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Why is FGM wrong but not MGM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies