Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

People are still hating and complaining about Trump wishing he fails instead of going about the own lives and enjoying the usual entertainment venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 06:12 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
People are still hating and complaining about Trump wishing he fails instead of going about the own lives and enjoying the usual entertainment venues.
ESPN is losing subscribers because people like me are cutting cable, and not looking back. I haven't had cable in 12 years, and have not missed it since. Netflix and Hulu satisfy the majority of my visual entertainment needs, and if there's a game on TV, I'll walk down to a bar to watch it.

It has nothing to do with politics.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:20 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
If we ignore the fact that the general decline in cable is almost certainly the real reason ESPN isn't doing well and assume your version is correct, I'm curious... do you think people who are dissatisfied with their political leadership are supposed to do nothing and just watch TV? Is that really the message you're going with?

Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
If they want to reach liberals they should stick to ice dancing and soccer. The rest of us can turn on the mlb or nfl network and not have to deal with the nonsense.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
If they want to reach liberals they should stick to ice dancing and soccer. The rest of us can turn on the mlb or nfl network and not have to deal with the nonsense.
You forgot Basketball ...... And I noticed you left off Hockey. I wonder why? 😉

Old 05-25-2017, 06:35 PM

862 posts, read 519,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
ESPN is losing subscribers because people like me are cutting cable, and not looking back. I haven't had cable in 12 years, and have not missed it since. Netflix and Hulu satisfy the majority of my visual entertainment needs, and if there's a game on TV, I'll walk down to a bar to watch it.

It has nothing to do with politics.
Its a combination of things ranked in order.

1. What you said, cord cutting.
2. Ridiculous TMZ obsession over whatever pet they choose to love at the moment (Manti Teo, Tim Tebow, Lonzo Ball. etc)
3. Infusion of politics into sports.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Its a combination of things ranked in order.

1. What you said, cord cutting.
2. Ridiculous TMZ obsession over whatever pet they choose to love at the moment (Manti Teo, Tim Tebow, Lonzo Ball. etc)
3. Infusion of politics into sports.
I just do not see it. Not everything is about politics...it is just is not. Even if it seems like it here on C-D's politics forum.

2 and 3 are just not major driving factors. There might be some small subset of people out there cancelling ESPN because of that stuff...I mean, that sounds insane...but maybe there are some people out there that are doing it for that. But these are not the driving forces.

A more likely secondary explanation is that some people that don't care about sports would rather rid themselves of ESPN (which is basically married to every package out there)...this is an important reason for why ESPN has been fighting to stay on the basic tiers of cable packages.

You have to make a very conscious decision to cancel cable - you can't just "get rid of ESPN" because, as mentioned above, it is baked into almost every single TV package out there. The drop in ESPN subscriptions is very likely correlated with a drop in cable subscriptions. I don't have the data, but I would be willing to bet a lot that the correlation between the two is VERY strong.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
You forgot Basketball ...... And I noticed you left off Hockey. I wonder why? 😉
I havent seen any politics with hockey. I watch games, but generally don't watch highlights and it's hardly covered in sports talk.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:54 PM

862 posts, read 519,644 times
I dont know what to tell you, I used to watch all the time, now I only tune in for cfb or the terrible occasion the Mets are the sunday night game. My main reason being 2 and 3 documented above. I am not the only one. Maybe people aren't straight up cancelling cable because of ESPN's politics but it most certainly plays a part in their declining ratings.

You said it in your post, "Not everything is about politics". Absolutely, wish ESPN could get that through their thick skulls.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
I dont know what to tell you, I used to watch all the time, now I only tune in for cfb or the terrible occasion the Mets are the sunday night game. My main reason being 2 and 3 documented above. I am not the only one.
But you still have ESPN and cable?

I'm not saying people like you don't exist. I'm saying that those are not the driving forces here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies