Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 06:15 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The overuse of the word hero is one of my pet peeves.

The best thing for all involved is almost always to let the nutcase rant as long as ranting is all he is doing.
No, the best thing to do is to go talk to the person being abused, so that they can feel more secure and know that other people don't condone the hate the ranter is hurling.

Standing up for someone being abused is heroic. Just ignoring it/trying to pretend its not happening/thinking its just words so it doesn't matter is cowardice and part of the problem. Words can cause as much pain and long-term consequences as physical attacks - think about all the teenagers committing suicide because of online bullying for instance. Anyone who stands by and lets something like that happen is part of the problem.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:21 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I truly believe this guy picked that day to kill somebody so no matter what move anybody made, he would perceive it as a move against him. He would probably still bring out his knife.

I think about why anyone would sit and ignore a person hurling abuse or even suggest this as an option. My guess is that it is safe to assume that an abuser will act when somebody makes a push against him. There is no opportunity to asses if the abuser really intends to cause physical harm. But if you ignoring the abuser, you are taking a wait and see approach. However, this is a risky move because what is not taken into consideration is the distance between the victim and the abuser. Ignoring an abuser may be perceived as "standing ground" or being defiant.

I think "ignore him" should really be "make a move away from the abuser." By moving away you accomplish two things, you put distance between each other and you have a chance to evaluate if he intends to continue his abuse.

This situation is extremely sad and shocking.
Maybe he picked that day to kill someone or maybe he's someone who has a hair-trigger rage response, we don't know. I don't know if it was possible for the women to move away from him, but the right thing to do is to support the women - helping them move away might work but then the abuser can just follow so talking to them is said to be the best thing to do. There is a cartoon strip explaining what to do in such situations.

Link to entire article What to Do if You Witness a Racist Attack - CityLab

Old 05-28-2017, 06:30 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Maybe he picked that day to kill someone or maybe he's someone who has a hair-trigger rage response, we don't know. I don't know if it was possible for the women to move away from him, but the right thing to do is to support the women - helping them move away might work but then the abuser can just follow so talking to them is said to be the best thing to do. There is a cartoon strip explaining what to do in such situations.

Link to entire article What to Do if You Witness a Racist Attack - CityLab
That is a very good suggestion so thank you for sharing it. I do support rallying around the victim. The important thing is to be aware and to give oneself an opportunity to assess rather than going full in to the abuser.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:33 AM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That blood is also on Trump's hands...
This person obviously had a problem but all this hateful anti-Muslim rhetoric coming from a president helps push them over the top, if the president is living in fear then why shouldn't he. We saw the same thing during the election with the crazy person killing those people at the Planned Parenthood Clinic in Colorado because of all the ridiculous statements.

They are not much different than the Islamic terrorists that recruit for the holy war. Words have meaning particularly when they come from a president.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This person obviously had a problem but all this hateful anti-Muslim rhetoric coming from a president helps push them over the top,
It has only been a few years back when I was reading people stating that the election of a black President was bringing the racists out.

There will always be racists. What is bringing the racists out is video phones and the internet.

Last edited by whogo; 05-28-2017 at 06:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 06:59 AM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It has only been a few years back when I was reading people stating that the election of a black President was bringing the racists out.

There will always be racists. What is bringing the racists out is video phones and the internet.
Obama's election certainly brought out the racists but I don't see anything to rival the rhetoric of this election and presidency.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This is the kind of hatred we need to stop folks. This is why the culture of hatred so many here try to encourage is bad.

Witnesses: Man Cut the Throats of Two MAX Passengers Who Tried to Stop Anti-Muslim Bullying of Women on Northeast Portland Train - Willamette Week

I live here. I've ridden that max.

Goes to show... You can say anything you want....
The 2nd amendment is there for all those that try and get physical to stop you from speaking your mind.

Yes, this went down, and only idiots think the 2nd amendment is small arms/guns.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:10 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,906,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The reality is, 2 people are dead, and you, and others, like some vulture want to feast on it for partisan purposes.
The reality is you people lied again. You tried to make this about Trump, you tried to pin this on conservatives and you tried to turn this into some petty pity political defense for Islam and now that your rhetoric has been aired and the truth shows you to be wrong, you want to jump back to the "lets not worry about the details, people died!"

Run off to a candle light vigil and moan and cry about how you cared so much about these people that you spent your time urinating on them for your political goals.

Make no mistake, you could give a rats arse about these peoples deaths.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:12 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,906,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Obama's election certainly brought out the racists but I don't see anything to rival the rhetoric of this election and presidency.
It certainly did, how do you think he got elected?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:18 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Goes to show... You can say anything you want....
The 2nd amendment is there for all those that try and get physical to stop you from speaking your mind.

Yes, this went down, and only idiots think the 2nd amendment is small arms/guns.
Thinking about bringing your Abrams out next time someone pisses you off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies