Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 07:58 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,910,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What is YOUR solution to The Rent Is Too High? A lower minimum wage?
The answer is in your name, but we have to remove government out and let it stabilize to achieve such. Once that happens, opportunities will be abundant.

The problem is that we have not had a real free market in over a 100 years.

I have worked all levels of employment and one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that "most" people are where they are by choice. They have the power to change their situation, but they refuse to. Those who try to change and excel usually do not stay at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:02 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,388,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What is YOUR solution to The Rent Is Too High? A lower minimum wage?
Move to where the rent is lower or gain skills worth paying for so you can afford where you are. No one is ever going to go with YOUR solution of building shanty town slums with no health or building codes where you can rent a shack for $100 a month.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I list my location, so here is Phoenix, AZ. And most prices have stayed the same. Domino's still charges the same for their 2 items for $5.99 each menu, Little Caesars is still charging the exact same for their pizza $5 large, $8 deep dish. At McDonalds the cost of the bacon egg and cheese biscuit meal with a small orange juice only went up by 0.11, or a 2% increase. So who is the liar?
The minimum wage is only 10 dollars right now. It doesn't go to 15 until 2020 there.

That isn't enough to show a dramatic change. prices will slowly increase as the wages increase. It takes time and using national specials are not evidence of such. when I watched the prices in CA go up with each minimum wage increase, it did it gradually, not immediately and the result was always a loss of buying power.

If you want to really see the prices, you watch the super markets, rent, and numerous other aspects the will slowly increase to compensate. With 10 bucks an hour, it isn't large increase yet (many fast food places will pay their night shift workers 9-10 bucks an hour anyway).

Also, keep in mind "specials", especially to which a franchise is known for often will retain their existing prices (branding) until they can no longer afford to by shifting price increases in other areas (some will raise the price of drinks, and similar items). It is why Subway kept their 5 dollar foot long around for so long before they finally decided to change it due to inflation, health care, minimum wage increases.

Another thing to look at is product size and weight. These are often a go to solution for these franchises to save on costs. The point is, prices will increase regardless if it is a direct not AND hours will change as well to compensate.

These changes have the largest hit on non-franchise establishments, the small to medium businesses. They take the largest brunt of such increases and with each new raise, pay over all is lessened (upper end positions get paid less to compensate), prices go up, hours get split to avoid overtime or hitting full time status (to avoid health care coverage), the list goes on...

Like I said, I have watched it many times over in states that had numerous raises, I have seen it in states that had low minimum wage, but were affordable for a lower wage earner out price that wage because of the process of businesses trying to stay ahead of the increased costs.

The only people who think minimum wage is great are the ignorant.

There is nothing good about minimum wage increases, it causes more poverty and hardship than it helps.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:41 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,389,633 times
Look at all you cons complaining about a $15 minimum wage by 2024, yet not one word about out of this world tax cuts for the rich, which do more harm to this country, by far, than any imaginary threat from a minimum wage hike.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Look at all you cons complaining about a $15 minimum wage by 2024, yet not one word about out of this world tax cuts for the rich, which do more harm to this country, by far, than any imaginary threat from a minimum wage hike.
So you are comparing the forcing of a person to pay someone more with allowing someone keep more of their money?

This is why you people don't get it.

You think a "tax cut" is giving, when all it does is allow someone to keep more of the money they earned.

The problem with progressives is they believe in theft, they are criminals who use government to rob people all under the claim of helping people. This is why eventually, the leaders of progressive systems end up swinging from trees like criminals.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:12 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,671,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
The minimum wage is only 10 dollars right now. It doesn't go to 15 until 2020 there.

That isn't enough to show a dramatic change. prices will slowly increase as the wages increase. It takes time and using national specials are not evidence of such. when I watched the prices in CA go up with each minimum wage increase, it did it gradually, not immediately and the result was always a loss of buying power.

If you want to really see the prices, you watch the super markets, rent, and numerous other aspects the will slowly increase to compensate. With 10 bucks an hour, it isn't large increase yet (many fast food places will pay their night shift workers 9-10 bucks an hour anyway).

Also, keep in mind "specials", especially to which a franchise is known for often will retain their existing prices (branding) until they can no longer afford to by shifting price increases in other areas (some will raise the price of drinks, and similar items). It is why Subway kept their 5 dollar foot long around for so long before they finally decided to change it due to inflation, health care, minimum wage increases.

Another thing to look at is product size and weight. These are often a go to solution for these franchises to save on costs. The point is, prices will increase regardless if it is a direct not AND hours will change as well to compensate.

These changes have the largest hit on non-franchise establishments, the small to medium businesses. They take the largest brunt of such increases and with each new raise, pay over all is lessened (upper end positions get paid less to compensate), prices go up, hours get split to avoid overtime or hitting full time status (to avoid health care coverage), the list goes on...

Like I said, I have watched it many times over in states that had numerous raises, I have seen it in states that had low minimum wage, but were affordable for a lower wage earner out price that wage because of the process of businesses trying to stay ahead of the increased costs.

There is nothing good about minimum wage increases, it causes more poverty and hardship than it helps.
We didn't vote $15 min wage by 2020, that was Los Angeles County, CA. And all California by 2021. We voted $12/hr by 2020. And our vote was statewide because the AZ Legislature passed a law that stopped individual cities or counties from setting their own minimum wages. Otherwise, it might just have been for Maricopa County rather than the whole state

Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
So you are comparing the forcing of a person to pay someone more with allowing someone keep more of their money?

This is why you people don't get it.

You think a "tax cut" is giving, when all it does is allow someone to keep more of the money they earned.

The problem with progressives is they believe in theft, they are criminals who use government to rob people all under the claim of helping people. This is why eventually, the leaders of progressive systems end up swinging from trees like criminals.
I think you are the only one who thinks this, and it is tantamount to treason to theater leaders with this

Old 05-28-2017, 09:14 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,802,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Do you know anything about the 82,000 page tax code or do you just do the 1040EZ form?

Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,525,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueFreak View Post
Nonsense. If the companies can pay their CEO's million dollar bonuses they can pay each worker a 15$ wage.
The local mom and pop pizza joint or burger place or kabob shop doesn't make millions .

Old 05-28-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:

How would paying food or retail workers say $3/hr be better than a minimum wage? Explain that to me. And don't use the excuse that those are only jobs for teenagers. Over half the people in those fields are in their 20s and 30s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies