Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think several posters to this thread may not have the diversity of cultural experience to recognize how people could live with this lifestyle.

Especially when you factor in that they'd work a little part time or some cash jobs or sell pot on the side.

You'd see a surge in x-box playing time though.
Yes, nor can they multiply 1100 X 2.

Let me add that 55% of Americans get their healthcare insurance highly subsidized through their jobs. Reduce unemployment and further increase the taxpayers burden for the healthcare costs of others.

Last edited by whogo; 05-30-2017 at 04:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 04:22 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Well, gimme the $1100/month for a few years and call it an experiment.

I am lucky enough that my family left my family in a position that Neither my husband nor I have to work. We still went to college, hold jobs we take pleasure working in, actually two jobs for me, and thus I am always shocked by the number of people who think the only reason people work is to earn money.

Regardless, $1100 a month isn't enough to live comfortably, it might keep you from starving to death or living in a box, but it is not even remotely close to being above the poverty level in this country.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Liberals, the party of gimme.
Conservatives, the party unable to comprehend why a topic is being discussed.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:40 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:

I'd like to think you are an ongoing experiment.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:55 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,524,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What's the point of this thread?
I was wondering also.

Must be some sort of Political spin behind it

Old 05-30-2017, 06:29 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am lucky enough that my family left my family in a position that Neither my husband nor I have to work. We still went to college, hold jobs we take pleasure working in, actually two jobs for me, and thus I am always shocked by the number of people who think the only reason people work is to earn money.

[Regardless, $1100 a month isn't enough to live comfortably, it might keep you from starving to death or living in a box, but it is not even remotely close to being above the poverty level in this country.

In 1993 I worked for less than 1000 a month take home.

Yes, I realize that that was over 20 years ago....

But I paid my rent, owned a car, had cable TV and a phone.

None of which was subsidized.

The point is that your not supposed to stay at that income level.

Edit:

Admittedly, the cost of living where I was then was pretty low
...but that's why any arbitrary "living wage" including minimum wage , doesn't make sense on a national level.

Even today you could live the way I did in 1993 in some parts of the country on 1100 a month.

Last edited by FatBob96; 05-30-2017 at 06:40 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 07:04 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Do people not understand the vast difference in cost of living across the United States?

From what I'm reading it seems like those struggling with the concept are from high cost of living areas and have likely never lived anywhere else at least not at an age when they were paying bills.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:07 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:

I spend $1100 per month on cellphones and Sat TV it seems LOL. Who the heck could live on that?

Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:

Well....here is the thing. It all depends on what you are used to and your environment. If you have never had anything.....then you cannot miss having something. Learning to cope and find happiness while poor is a double edge sword. On one hand learning to cope and manage living in poverty is better for your health and sanity, on the other hand, not being able to cope with poverty is a powerful incentive to get out of it. Unfortunately alcohol, drugs and sex blunts the pain of poverty, but those things can further trap you in poverty.

Right now, after living an upper middle class existence for a couple of decades, I fear poverty. I don't know if I could cope with it.......so I do everything I can not fall back into it. Once you learn to cope with poverty you are almost doomed to remain in it. The irony is that I know a lot of poor people that seem happier than people I work with who are well off. Why? Many poor people have strong relationship with God. Many poor people have close family and friends. Many poor people grew up poor and their expectations of life are low to begin with.

The times I have been to Africa, walking around and traveling about.....despite abject poverty in many places.....people seemed happier than here in the USA. Money, to a large degree, does not equal happiness. However, an extreme deprivation of health, food, clothing or shelter can impact happiness and when such is tied to money then it can impact happiness. Here in the USA, most people have food, clothing and shelter, if not great health.

I am kind of rambling but I just think if poor people were exposed to a better life and better way of doing things.....they would get addicted to it and reproduce it on their own and would no longer be able to cope with poverty.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,371,285 times
Well, you rent an old, used single wide in the sticks somewhere for maybe 500 a month. You have an old, beater truck that takes 120 a month to run. You pay 110 for electric. You buy Raman noodles, hamburger helper and cheese whiz for 200 a month and finally you have 170 for beer and pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies