Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

The First Amendment was made exactly for cases like this one. This mayor is a disgrace. Disliking a group's message is no reason to trample on the group's rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Not for anything but Portland seems to be competing with Chicago for American city most likely to make you go UGH! Never been there so I have no comment other than every time you turn around lately, they are in the news for something that makes them look bad.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:52 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompromat View Post
Im ok with oppressing the alt right. Hate speech is not free speech.
Of course you are ok with it, most arm chair tyrants are when they never have to lift a finger in their oppression themselves.

Question is... you willing to enforce your oppression yourself?

Old 05-30-2017, 02:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
The ironic part is that Portland is one of the whitest major cities ever. And Oregon has been one of the most racist low-key states the past two centuries (Oregon was the only states blacks literally were banned from. Portland also didn't even start having a diverse scene until about 5-6 years ago.).

Anyone else notice how Portland is ran by mostly white people? Yet, they are the ones who are always supposedly fighting for non-whites? Just as long as none of the non-whites get into in a position of power, or if anyone speaks out against them, the're fine. But if you want free speech to speak out against something the Mayor or any of the white SJWs are against, you need to be silenced.

The irony there is just classic.
Where's greenmariner? This is what I was trying to tell him months ago. This is it, 100%. Nail on the head and all of those other cliches. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who saw the reality in the PacNW.

Just saying, "I'm not racist!" doesn't make you not racist. It's actions that will reveal who you are. The PacNW is filled with racists who call themselves liberals...so much so that they can't even see how much they are!

(Yes, there's racists on both sides, the point is that it's time for the left to own up to it. No re-writing history, no bs about the fake "switch", no calling all Republicans as racists to take the focus off of the left...the left is overflowing with racists, and finally people are seeing it. I don't think it's all out of spite, like KKK members, but they are definitely there, in huge numbers.)

The only way to start to tackle a problem is to admit that (general) you are part of the problem.

Quote:
Yes, it is.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
The ironic part is that Portland is one of the whitest major cities ever. And Oregon has been one of the most racist low-key states the past two centuries (Oregon was the only states blacks literally were banned from. Portland also didn't even start having a diverse scene until about 5-6 years ago.).

Anyone else notice how Portland is ran by mostly white people? Yet, they are the ones who are always supposedly fighting for non-whites? Just as long as none of the non-whites get into in a position of power, or if anyone speaks out against them, the're fine. But if you want free speech to speak out against something the Mayor or any of the white SJWs are against, you need to be silenced.

The irony there is just classic.

As Portland has rapidly gentrified the past 5-6 years, diversity is decreasing, not increasing, as many non-whites have been displaced by necessarily skyrocketing rents.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Where's greenmariner? This is what I was trying to tell him months ago. This is it, 100%. Nail on the head and all of those other cliches. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who saw the reality in the PacNW.

Just saying, "I'm not racist!" doesn't make you not racist. It's actions that will reveal who you are. The PacNW is filled with racists who call themselves liberals...so much so that they can't even see how much they are!

(Yes, there's racists on both sides, the point is that it's time for the left to own up to it. No re-writing history, no bs about the fake "switch", no calling all Republicans as racists to take the focus off of the left...the left is overflowing with racists, and finally people are seeing it. I don't think it's all out of spite, like KKK members, but they are definitely there, in huge numbers.)

The only way to start to tackle a problem is to admit that (general) you are part of the problem.
Yes, I found this out when I went to boarding school up North as a Southern mixed race girl. I encountered more racism there than I did anytime in my life and these are the people who claimed they were not. Some of these people you see on the news today still claiming the same (there's one in particular who is always on CNN, the hypocrite saying how enlightened and not prejudiced he is). It taught me a lesson at a young age - there's a difference between actions and words and hypocrites are some of the worst of the lot.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:21 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You don't need a permit to exercise your free speech right.
Actually, you do..if the property does not belong to you..or is not 'public commons'.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Alt Right wasn't even a thing until some snowflake....or deep state operative....or Soros media communications mgr.....or some social media activist invented the damn word.

Now you guys want to "invent" what Hate speech is.

I really don't think the SJWs should want to "poke the bear" when it comes to the First or Second Amendment. It's not going to end well. A handful of snowflakes dressed in Black with masks.... encountering and attempting to "Oppress" the First Amendment rights of (say) a couple of ex Rangers or Seals.
Nope...White Nationalist Richard Spencer usually gets 'credit'...

https://www.quora.com/Who-invented-the-term-alt-right

Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
I'm okay with oppressing liberals. Their violence is not free speech.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Actually, you do..if the property does not belong to you..or is not 'public commons'.
But a municipality cannot give one group a permit and the other one denied based on things like personal opinions and whether they agree with that group or not. Equal application under the law and all. Personally, I think this group chose Portland precisely to get this denial so they could take the city to court. And they'll win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies