Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:01 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,458,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, technically she's correct.

Pretty much everything bad that's ever happened is because of a guy or a religion. Or a guy doing something in the name of his religion. Like for all of time for thousands of years.

That being said, it was a stupid useless statement.
The world would be a better place if women were in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 03:02 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,038,238 times
I thought that old hag was dead.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:06 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,230,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I always found that so ironic. One of the very core ideals of liberalism is basically tolerance and yet so many self proclaimed liberals are NOT tolerant when you disagree with them. LOL, it's almost funny if it weren't so annoying.

While I can see what she's talking about because historically religion has caused much misery and it is mostly men committing atrocities. I also hope that she's just spoutin off because she's upset. Surely she can see that many many men are decent and not going around being bad, for lack of another word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I've always noticed the same thing it's so hypocritical and all you have do is read a few threads on here. You can spot it everywhere.

They're supposed to be the champions of tolerance, open mindedness, progressiveness, and diversity yet they can't get out of their bubble and only stick with what they're comfortable with.

Look at all of the posts they make about Appalachia for example. What's up with that???

Honestly it's getting to the point where people from Appalachia should be a protected category at the federal level and affirmative action is kicked in. The discrimination is real I have no doubt it's spilling over into corporate America and the hiring process and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
lib "tolerance" in action
I love that the three of you all went on on "liberalism" because one person said something. Something that in all seriousness wasn't even really intolerant. Noticing something uselessness does not mean you do not tolerate it. Toleration is just putting up with something. I gauruntee that poster doesn't meet someone and notice they're a Christian then go on a rant about how Christians are all bad... You know, how you guy do with liberalism.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:10 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,379,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You're the one that picked him, men are the hunters and women are the gatherers. Unless he was a caveman or something and dragged you into his cave by your hair and forced insemination and marriage.

Yepper, I DID! and instead of whining, complaining, I chose to deal with it.

I chose to install/instil values and sense of responsibility into my kids versus demonizing their father. I took the responsibility for for my bad decision.. So what's your point.

Today, after 42 years.. I still have a great relationship with his side of the family, Cousins, nephews, nieces etc etc. I was able to maintain that, because I stepped up to the plate. I didnt' whine about making an error of judgement.. I'm actually applauding, that I was able to do the RIGHT THING!

Old 06-04-2017, 03:11 PM

52,325 posts, read 52,791,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I love that the three of you all went on on "liberalism" because one person said something. Something that in all seriousness wasn't even really intolerant. Noticing something uselessness does not mean you do not tolerate it. Toleration is just putting up with something. I gauruntee that poster doesn't meet someone and notice they're a Christian then go on a rant about how Christians are all bad... You know, how you guy do with liberalism.
I meant my comment in an off the cuff fashion. I'm actually sorta sad that people conflate the far left progressives with Liberals because true classic liberalism is good stuff. I think all of our terms are sliding around and aren't meaning as much as they used to mean. You've got people under the banner of liberalism trying to block free speech at college campuses, the very hot bed of higher learning and expanding and should be a place where fair minded people can exchange ideas and discuss things. Now it's rioting and shutting down people who have countering views.

It's sad, but it's not the point of this thread, we need to walk it back to ol' Bette and her man hatin. LOL.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:19 PM

10,510 posts, read 4,068,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Men useless? Well, some of them can be. Religion useless? Yes.
I disagree. Most religions in context, it's just a belief that keeps people moral. Gives them purpose in life. It's the crazy ones who take over and bastardize the religion. But religion gives a fallen people hope and faith in themselves, that there is a higher power that will have their backs. It's the backbone that has created the family way of life, to help better ourselves more and more with each generation. Faith and worship, while has caused some great wars (I usually think it's greed that caused these wars and the leaders used people's faith to get behind them) but religion and faith has also created some of the master pieces we see from ancient times.

I don't follow any particular religion but I do believe in a higher power. I used to be an atheist, but when growing up and one of my best friends was a Seminole Indian, explained to me that there is something there, how coincidence is it that people, either be it super advanced, to tribesmen, all in someway or another, believe in a god or higher power. The stories had to come from somewhere. Heck, even the bible has some things in it. It mentions the world was covered in water. Now we have scientific fact. Were the people who "wrote" the bible just that smart, or is it possible that they were contacted by a higher being that told them what to write?

Old 06-04-2017, 03:26 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
The same thought might apply to Ms. Midler but that is a digression just like her.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:27 PM

10,510 posts, read 4,068,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, technically she's correct.

Pretty much everything bad that's ever happened is because of a guy or a religion. Or a guy doing something in the name of his religion. Like for all of time for thousands of years.

That being said, it was a stupid useless statement.
Hmmm. Depends on your definition of bad. There is a huge drug problem going on in this country, if not the world. There are gangs and drug cartels being formed for this, and people are dying all over the world either it be druglord turf wars, cops and FBI undercover stings, and of course, the massive drug deaths that are sweeping this nations and others as well. To me, this is very bad on biblical proportions, but yet, this to me has nothing to do with religion and all to do with greed and peer pressure.

Besides greed, other causes of bad things are jealousy, natural disasters and grief.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:29 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
She's entitled to her opinion.

Of course, since it's her opinion only, she speaks only for herself, not for anyone else, regardless of their political leanings.

Thread fail ...

Old 06-04-2017, 03:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,699,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And what does that have to do with this fool saying that men are useless??
Many potential answers depending on how you read English...

"Men and Religion" are worthless. Couldn't that mean the COMBINATION of men and religion are worthless?

I doubt she thinks her recording engineers and roadies are worthless - so I take the above as the statement. It seems only Alt-Right would take this to mean all men.

Then again, once could take her literally and say she meant Men and/or Religion independently are worthless. Seems far fetched, but righties are sorta snowflakes these days and seem to take offense at many things.

This is also a problem with Twitter. 140 characters. This is one of the reasons we are having so many problems understanding the Con Artist in Chief who is most certainly a worthless male. And not religious. So there you have it.

Moral of the story? Probably don't discuss Twitter rants from old people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies