Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 12:16 PM

18,498 posts, read 9,164,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
...led by Republican legislators.

Hard times for Kansas and its schools as economic 'experiment' creates gaping budget hole - LA Times

No, drastically cutting income taxes does not lead to increased revenues. Who woulda thunk?

"Speaking from the Senate floor tonight, Sen. Dennings (R-Overland Park) spoke out in favor of overturning the Governor’s veto and ending the tax experiment. “This was a mistake,” and noted that it was his mistake, and he was prepared to break out the mop and start cleaning it up."
Kansas Gov. Brownback's tax experiment comes to end, as legislature overturns veto
What was that famous quote about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

I wouldn't expect any change in Republican beliefs or behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 12:35 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
...led by Republican legislators.

Hard times for Kansas and its schools as economic 'experiment' creates gaping budget hole - LA Times

No, drastically cutting income taxes does not lead to increased revenues. Who woulda thunk?

"Speaking from the Senate floor tonight, Sen. Dennings (R-Overland Park) spoke out in favor of overturning the Governor’s veto and ending the tax experiment. “This was a mistake,” and noted that it was his mistake, and he was prepared to break out the mop and start cleaning it up."
Kansas Gov. Brownback's tax experiment comes to end, as legislature overturns veto
The idea is cut taxes in order to have less spending and reduce government. That didn't happen. Why would anyone want government to have more money when it's been proven time and time again they don't spend it wisely? Boobus doesn't learn.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:42 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
There is no such economic theory as trickle down. The media made it up. You and many others fell for it.
Well it was the Reagan tax cuts that some credited with the increase in GDP in the 1980'sm, that was the prediction by Laffer.

Quote:
The idea is cut taxes in order to have less spending and reduce government. That didn't happen. Why would anyone want government to have more money when it's been proven time and time again they don't spend it wisely? Boobus doesn't learn.
Well I guess some people feel that things like education and roads are important to a civilized society. You don't cut taxes to the point where you damage basic institutions.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:42 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Maybe because in governments where they do have higher taxes and higher government spending we see things like universal healthcare, and college. And think "hey thats pretty cool"?

Meanwhile spending more then the next several countries combined on our military is not enough, and republicans want to spend more on bombs.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:54 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Actually, the idea is that if they cut taxes, business owners will use the money they save to expand, and stimulate the economy, But most save it. It never works.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:03 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Default So, I guess Kansas has found that shrinking a government to a size you can drown it in a bathtub doesn't really work.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/u...ride.html?_r=0

Another bad republican idea dies a horrible death.

"“The governor is a true believer,” she said. “Being governor was all about his tax plan. And he really believed it was the right step. But as many of us have seen, it was not. We had to take a vote to say no and say, ‘This is not the right direction.’ I don’t know how the governor doesn’t see that.”

When she reads messages from constituents in her suburban Kansas City district, she said, they sound a similar, pleading note. ”Email after email after email I get from constituents,” she said, “say, ‘Please, let’s stop this experiment.’”"

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...s-which-worked

"For the past few years, Kansas's Republican Governor Sam Brownback and his allies in the state's legislature have been conducting a fiscal experiment involving big cuts in income taxes for individuals and businesses. The theory was that this "march to zero income taxes," as Brownback has called it, would spur entrepreneurship, economic growth and lots of job creation -- 25,000 new jobs in each of the next four years, Brownback pledged during his successful re-election campaign in 2014.

There have been repeated budget shortfalls since Brownback first took office in January 2011, which have led to repeated proclamations in the national news media that the Kansas experiment has failed. In the sense that the tax cuts haven't paid for themselves, that's true."

Old 06-07-2017, 02:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Actually, the idea is that if they cut taxes, business owners will use the money they save to expand, and stimulate the economy, But most save it. It never works.
Oddly enough higher taxes often cause them to invest more as it drops their taxable income. Especially true if they believe taxes will be lower in the future.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Actually, I LIKE it when the government has enough money to fund libraries, maintain roads, feed poor kids, make sure that every kid has access to a decent public school, run summer programs for kids and adults, respond quickly to emergencies, try experimental approaches to social problems, run a good public transit system, maintain a good water system, inspect restaurants, provide basic immunizations, etc., etc.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:59 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Kansas would be ok if... the Supreme Court of Kansas would have recognized the State Congressional authority to establish, set, raise and lower as it sees fit, the funding for education in the State. The Supreme Court of Kansas has unconstitutionally interfered with the legislative authority of the State's Congress since former Governor Kathleen Sebelius was in office. The demands from SCOK have caused the funding for education to skyrocket in so many ways and this is in clear violation of what the State Constitution calls for.

The single issue of education funding is the only reason there is any fiscal problems in Kansas. The problem is a constitutional crisis, not a fiscal problem. If the Supreme Court of Kansas obeyed the letter of the law in the State Constitution, they would not be interfering in the education funding amounts constitutionally established by the State Congress. I wish this State had a decent AG when this nonsense started. One that would have taken this issue to the US Supreme Court to compel the Supreme Court of Kansas to obey its own Constitution, because once the precedent was established, the AG and the State Congress had little opportunity to reverse a clearly unconstitutional ruling from the Supreme Court of Kansas.

What I find very troubling on CD and in media across the nation is how they ignorantly and/or willfully falsely attribute the State of Kansas' fiscal issues to a lack of raised taxes while completely ignoring the fact that there has been a constitutional crisis regarding funding for education for almost 15 years. I believe the reporting on this issue is willfully misleading and outright fraudulent in an attempt to portray sound fiscal policy as ineffective when there are known externalities which caused the fiscal problems to begin with. Odds are not a single other poster on here, the idiots at the LA Times, any other rag publication nor any of the other media reporting this tripe has read the Kansas Constitution. I have read it because I am a resident who has lived in Kansas most of my life, therefore it matters to me what the law of the land, the Kansas Constitution says. I know who is authorized by the Kansas Constitution to fund education and to establish any formula for that funding and this authority certainly isn't within the authority of the Supreme Court of Kansas.
So basically what you're saying is that Kansas is too broke to fund its schools.

What is your proposal? Teach the Bible at home and call it good?

Old 06-07-2017, 03:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
but... but.... cutting taxes increases revenue, the magic republican fairy told me so

what happened?

did they.... lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies