Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:34 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Is there much of a difference? Would you care to list the positive things that the Chinese people experience under their government? One poster expressed they can pee and smoke pot in the streets as if this is what an educated society would put up with! This is only showing the more dumb the people are the more corrupt the government can become and feed their people anything, even, plastic rice.
Dumb? Were you just arrogant enough to refer to a billion plus people as dumb? Holy ****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 11:50 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Dumb? Were you just arrogant enough to refer to a billion plus people as dumb? Holy ****
LOL. Yup. Welcome to the board, where sweeping generalizations are the norm.

A lot of Americans, and to be fair Chinese, cannot comprehend how the other side live under their form of government. both sides have very different expectations of what their government should do, and look like.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:55 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Touchy. I was just stating a fact. It's a travel video meant to educate US tourists to keep them safe. You have to be more careful as a pedestrian in China. Period. If they can't handle that, then they're the biggest snowflakes of the world.

Oh, and you're concerned about an American acting undiplomatic towards China? LOL if you only knew the kind of conversations Chinese had about the US. Did you know many Chinese also cheered on 9/11?

What are you anyway? A commie sympathizer or something?
You were attempting to advise US tourists already in China about China? Wouldn't they pretty much be aware of it?

Isn't that something you would advise US tourists in the US before they go to China?

Old 06-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. Yup. Welcome to the board, where sweeping generalizations are the norm.

A lot of Americans, and to be fair Chinese, cannot comprehend how the other side live under their form of government. both sides have very different expectations of what their government should do, and look like.
Bingo.

People going to China for the first time ask me what to expect. I say - Accept that pretty much everything you think you know about it, positive or negative is wrong. You're landing on Mars.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:56 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Is there much of a difference? Would you care to list the positive things that the Chinese people experience under their government? One poster expressed they can pee and smoke pot in the streets as if this is what an educated society would put up with! This is only showing the more dumb the people are the more corrupt the government can become and feed their people anything, even, plastic rice.
What utterly snotty elitist tripe!

I mentioned a few more humorous examples of the cultural differences between China and the US and you are countering with exactly the type of rude, smug, soap boxing disdain that you don't see over there. Your virtue signal is loud and clear. And obnoxious. I find that many people who grouse over the perceived lack of education in others really expose a lack of worldly knowledge of their own.

China isn't the US. It's different in more ways than you can clearly understand and cope with. Stay in your soft little educated safe space. Please.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:59 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Bingo.

People going to China for the first time ask me what to expect. I say - Accept that pretty much everything you think you know about it, positive or negative is wrong. You're landing on Mars.
Its worse then that.....some things look the same, but are completely different. The attitude towards police would be good, and somewhat depressing example. The Chinese have a much more favorable view of police then most US citizens do of their own. In the US its uncommon for people to ask police for help in non criminal matters, like directions.

But in 95% of most things...everything is the exact same. Its that 5% that surprise you.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You were attempting to advise US tourists already in China about China? Wouldn't they pretty much be aware of it?

Isn't that something you would advise US tourists in the US before they go to China?
When did I say that? I was advising prospective US tourists to China.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its worse then that.....some things look the same, but are completely different. The attitude towards police would be good, and somewhat depressing example. The Chinese have a much more favorable view of police then most US citizens do of their own. In the US its uncommon for people to ask police for help in non criminal matters, like directions.

But in 95% of most things...everything is the exact same. Its that 5% that surprise you.
The police is a good example. In the US I feel over-policed. We have layer upon layer of law enforcement where I'm from and I often feel like I'm under suspicion when I'm in contact with them. Over there the only police that I could see (disclaimer) were unarmed and stationed in large public places where tourists were common. They were pretty much there to serve as a "help desk" and to discourage pickpockets and other such petty crime. The atmosphere was very non-oppressive. Of course I made the disclaimer because I'm certain there are the police you don't see. The electronic spying is however quite oppressive. We're warned that in Western business traveler's hotels everyone's internet connection is snooped for industrial secrets etc.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:42 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
The subways of NYC and other major American cities often smell urine. Chinese subways are extremely clean without a dirt.
In fact Chinese cities are cleaner than American cities in general. If you have never been there, just open some YouTube videos.

China has an average IQ of 106, America 100. Talking about dumb.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
America does not block fireign media, but how many Americans even bother to read news from foreign sources? How many can read in foreign language?
They are still brainwashed by CNN or Foxnews and know nothing about the outside world. How many Americans can name three Chinese cities without googling? Or the name of previous Chinese president?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies