Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:15 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The belief isn't "deserves" to be, rather it is unfortunately for them "will" probably be condemned to eternity separated from God
The distinction is academic.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually that was exactly what he said.

"“As a Christian, I believe that all individuals are made in the image of God and are worthy of dignity and respect regardless of their religious beliefs. I believe that as a Christian that’s how I should treat all individuals,”
And that quote is why context matters.

"as a Christian" is a qualifier. And dignity and respect are not equivalent to equally. Which is why, like I said earlier, the right answer would have been to say "As a PUBLIC SERVANT(who religion stops at the door of government), I would treat everyone equally"

Our government does not have a religion and we do not treat people with the standards of our personal religions.

Before you respond, I get it, you think "dignity and respect" = equality.

As someone who grew up a Southern Baptist, I disagree.

dignity and respect are a performance floor, like saying your restaurant only needs a 74% grade to stay open

Old 06-09-2017, 09:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
"as a Christian" is a qualifier. And dignity and respect are not equivalent to equally. Which is why, like I said earlier, the right answer would have been to say "As a PUBLIC SERVANT(who religion stops at the door of government), I would treat everyone equally"
You lost the context, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Before you respond, I get it, you think "dignity and respect" = equality.

As someone who grew up a Southern Baptist, I disagree.

dignity and respect are a performance floor, like saying your restaurant only needs a 74% grade to stay open
When you say you will treat all people of all religions with dignity and respect, it means just that.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:42 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:

When you say you will treat all people of all religions with dignity and respect, it means just that.
It's completely possible to treat second class citizens with dignity and respect. But some of us want more than mere dignity and respect: we want actual equality, even if it's a heretical notion.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 AM

727 posts, read 390,579 times
Quote:
Let's to the same with you, shall we.

Or those who judge who is, and who isnt a good enough Christian. That would be you.
If politician tells you, "I am the most caring person in the world," will you automatically believe him or her? I would hope not. Words are just words until they are supported by actions. Sorry if you took what I said personally. I was talking about people in general.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:

Again

Christian is a qualifier, and dignity and respect are a performance floor(minimum) in that context.

I want to reiterate this. I get that we disagree on the meaning here.

I know you believe when he says those things that he is saying he will treat those people equally. I believe otherwise based on my own interactions with individuals who use the same phrasing.

Another good example is the " I dont hate gay people, one of my best friends is gay, I want him/her to live a happy life, but I dont support marriage equality"

Its a farce, to many, dignity and respect are bare minimum and do not mean equal.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I suspect had the candidate been Muslim, and answered that he believes anyone who doesn't accept Allah will not be saved, 'religious freedom' would have been argued, and Bernie would have acted offended if anyone questioned whether a Muslim could put aside his religious beliefs and be fair in doing his job.

Because that's what the loons on the left do every time.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I suspect had the candidate been Muslim, and answered that he believes anyone who doesn't accept Allah will not be saved, 'religious freedom' would have been argued, and Bernie would have acted offended if anyone questioned whether a Muslim could put aside his religious beliefs and be fair in doing his job.

Because that's what the loons on the left do every time.
I don't think I would go with this argument if I was you. If a Muslim said what was said here, no way he even gets nominated.

Last edited by pknopp; 06-14-2017 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 07:55 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If Bernie would have won the election he would only appoint and import the godless Russians. Russians of faith wouldn't even be in consideration.

Sanders will never be President. Sanders incompetence was exposed during the 2016 Democratic primary and by a New York newspaper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies