Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:28 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You mean stuff like languages, literature, music, art, technology, and science? Uh-oh, can't allow that left-wing stuff in, can you? You might even call including it having "an agenda", right??
Agenda to be educated??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 04:30 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
I went to twelve years of public school following half a year of private kindergarten. Went to a public university for my undergrad degree, then to a private college for my master's degree.

It was all good. Much depends on teachers and parents and access to educational materials. Some of my teachers were better than others, particularly at the junior high and high school level, but that's par for the course.

All private schools are not identical, any more that all public schools being the same. It behooves parents to look carefully at all options and to consider their children's best interests when deciding on how and where their children should be educated. Parents should also be prepared to fill in the gaps when need be.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:31 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Agenda to be educated??
Some evidently would call it that, sadly.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:33 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
No surprise - C-D P&AOC posters are primarily products of the public school system.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
My son played travel hockey in the southeast. A number of the families were quite wealthy and chose private school even in decent school districts. Not all the kids 'thrived' in their school environment. It was less about public/private and more about the kids themselves and their inclination to be disciplined, work hard, etc. Interestingly enough those traits carried through on the ice and what kind of hockey players they were at practice and at game time.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Now, apparently our children have become too fragile to not be #1 at everything. So in interests of dumbing down the schools even further to make the lowest denominator feel better about themselves there will no longer be Valedictorians.

We certainly would not want them to learn terrible lessons like students who work harder than you might possibly be recognized for it over YOU. So we have to protect the feelings of these little snowflakes so they can become good liberals someday and protest things they cannot even understand because they are flat out stupid and ignorant.

Again, Catholic school for my 5 kids was the best investment I ever made.

https://apnews.com/1df37d18e36149878...-class-ranking
Decisions like valedictorian, are determined at the local level by local people elected by local people. Got a problem with that? Run for a school board seat.

In my neck of the woods, 4 years at a Catholic high school runs $50,000. A portion of the tuition funds scholarships for a limited number of qualifying students. Most people cannot afford this especially if they have multiple kids.

Not all private schools have valedictorians.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I went to a private school for my K-8 education and learned that the earth was created about a thousand years after the Sumerians invented glue. Not exactly the best preparation for surviving in a competitive high tech society.
The Catholic school I attended grades 1-7, did not have science or gym teachers, thus no class. History was limited to church history.

We did however attend Mass 7 days a week, plus every funeral. December was always brutal with morning mass followed by 2-3 funeral masses.

We traded " holy cards" the way kids trade baseball cards. Used to sneak books in under our clothes to have something to do.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
That's nuts.

I went to a public school, and in many classes, after every test, scores were publicly posted by name, top scorer to lowest.

I remember one teacher who didn't do that, but would instead ask the three top scorers to stand in front of the class, and then also asked the 3 lowest scorers to come up to the front of the class, but then made them sit on the ground around the top scorers' feet.

And yes, I'm a millennial. Crazy how things have changed.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
I sent both my children to private school because overall the public school system is doing lousily. Public High School graduates score below average in SAT and ACT statewide.

Private school seems expensive but actually it is not.

Because when they applied for college, preferential treatment was usually given to the applicants from private school -- in admission and in financial aid.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:17 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
That's nuts.

I went to a public school, and in many classes, after every test, scores were publicly posted by name, top scorer to lowest.

I remember one teacher who didn't do that, but would instead ask the three top scorers to stand in front of the class, and then also asked the 3 lowest scorers to come up to the front of the class, but then made them sit on the ground around the top scorers' feet.

And yes, I'm a millennial. Crazy how things have changed.
That's a good way to get the top students bullied. Not a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies