Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Considering the vast majority of those million/billionaires got their money through being complete pieces of ****, being corrupt evils *******s, screwing over poor people I'd think it's well deserved. Robin Hood is a great example. While fictional how is it wrong to think stealing from evil rich people who gained their wealth through killing others and think they deserve it due to God anointed status and give it to the poor is bad?
I made my money in real estate. How does that make me evil? How did I earn it through killing people?

My neighbor made his money creating websites that enhance our lives. Same questions?

My other neighbor made his money acting in movies and plays. Same questions?

You are just looking for reasons to justify stealing from people. I think you need to reevaluate who is truly the evil one in this scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 05:06 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
One of the better role models is the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. Of course no one should be "forced" to distribute "all their wealth" this is a ridiculous hypothetical.
Bill and Melinda Gates are globalists. A lot of their 'donations' are spent overseas. All that ends up doing is keeping US wages low via global labor arbitrage.

Global Labor Arbitrage

Believe me, they're doing the American worker NO favors.

Quote:
One problem is that much of the wealth sits idle, often in offshore bank accounts. The truly altruistic thing to do would to to INVEST those billions/trillions in new American industries which could trigger a new generation of prosperity. Instead much of that wealth does nothing, other than fund the gamblers on Wall Street.
There is SO much wrong in this paragraph it's hard to know where to start...

Firstly, US Citizens' money can't be hidden in offshore bank accounts. Financial Institutions worldwide are required to report US Citizens' accounts to the IRS, or suffer the seizure of their own money/assets held in the US (frequently in the form of US Treasuries or stock shares in US corporations): FATCA. Look it up.

Secondly, do you have any idea who actually benefits from corporate profits? You want to know who REALLY gets those corporate profits? Guess who benefited? Guess who the US's biggest investor is? It's not some rich 1%-er. It's CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System. They need corporate profits to fund California's public employee retirees' pensions. The same is true in every city, state, and even the Fed Gov. We're talking police, fire department, teachers, etc., etc. They're all public employees and their pensions and retirement benefits could not be paid without corporate profits.

Quote:
"Can you name the biggest American investor? No, it's not Warren Buffett; as a matter of fact, it is not a person. It is CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System"...

Exxon
General Electric
Microsoft
Citigroup
Bank of America
Johnson & Johnson
Wal-Mart
Pfizer
Proctor & Gamble
JP Morgan Chase
The Ten Largest Holding of CalPERS, the Biggest U.S. Investor

In aggregate, America's workers and retirees have $27 trillion invested in equities, etc., in their pension plans and retirement accounts.

Quote:
$27 trillion in pension/retirement investments means lots of attention

All those workers' and retirees' pensions and retirement benefits *could not be paid* without corporate profits, and those workers/retirees would also benefit from low/no corporate taxes as that would increase the value of their retirement pensions/funds.

How do so many people NOT know any of this? Financial illiteracy? Complete lack of critical thinking skills? What? /SMH

Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The right thing to do is live in civilization where the rule of law prevents people from abusing other people. I really would like the stigma of poverty as some kind of character flaw could be erased from our country, assuming we are speaking of the US here, could be eradicated. The one thing that rich and upper middle class people don't get is that they were often given many opportunities not available to poor people. Yes they work hard. But the idea that working hard results in automatic success is not the case in this country anymore.
I disagree with the last sentence. I think that hard work means something different to everyone. I tell my kids, if they want to be successful, they need to give up five years of their life to whatever it is they choose to do. They need to eat, sleep, and breath it. They need to go to sleep and wake up thinking about it. If it is 9 o'clock at night and there is still work to be done, they need to do it before they go home, and if it takes them all night, then they just have to have a cup of coffee and continue on with the day.

In my day, that is what it took to become a doctor. That is what worked. If you commit that kind of intensity to anything for 5 years, you will be the expert that people want and you will be successful. The vast majority of people will never do this though. That's why I tell my kids to pick something they are passionate about as a career. That makes this kind of commitment a lot easier.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:29 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I disagree with the last sentence. I think that hard work means something different to everyone. I tell my kids, if they want to be successful, they need to give up five years of their life to whatever it is they choose to do. They need to eat, sleep, and breath it. They need to go to sleep and wake up thinking about it. If it is 9 o'clock at night and there is still work to be done, they need to do it before they go home, and if it takes them all night, then they just have to have a cup of coffee and continue on with the day.

In my day, that is what it took to become a doctor. That is what worked. If you commit that kind of intensity to anything for 5 years, you will be the expert that people want and you will be successful. The vast majority of people will never do this though. That's why I tell my kids to pick something they are passionate about as a career. That makes this kind of commitment a lot easier.
I completely agree. Both of my kids worked hard to balance school and extracurriculars (sports, music, etc.), and still earn top grades. They were admitted to highly ranked state flagship universities, graduated with multiple degrees, and are now very successful (and still hard-working) late-twenties aged adults.

None of that happened "by accident" or because they were "lucky." It took a lot of hard work to EARN it.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:15 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Considering the vast majority of those million/billionaires got their money through being complete pieces of ****, being corrupt evils *******s, screwing over poor people I'd think it's well deserved. Robin Hood is a great example. While fictional how is it wrong to think stealing from evil rich people who gained their wealth through killing others and think they deserve it due to God anointed status and give it to the poor is bad?
Re the bolded, how do you know?

It doesn't sound as though you know a wide variety of wealthy people, if any at all.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:51 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
1. Robin Hood stole from the government/tax collectors, not just any rich people.

2. Your envy and resentment is showing.

3. Your other post about who deserves the money more makes me think you may not understand the economics behind why some people make more than others.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:06 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Corny question to open a thread with.

I would feel as though I live in a communist country. Because, obviously, I would be.

Forced redistribution of wealth=destruction of incentive to produce to create individual prosperity=stagnation, decay, and eventual backslide and destruction of society.

What any wealthy person decides to do with their wealth should be their decision, such as the decision by Bill Gates to "give" his money away, toward whatever ends he so desires. That's called "charity".

Involuntary redistribution is called "theft".

CN

Old 07-11-2017, 07:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Corny question to open a thread with.

I would feel as though I live in a communist country. Because, obviously, I would be.

Forced redistribution of wealth=destruction of incentive to produce to create individual prosperity=stagnation, decay, and eventual backslide and destruction of society.

What any wealthy person decides to do with their wealth should be their decision, such as the decision by Bill Gates to "give" his money away, toward whatever ends he so desires. That's called "charity".

Involuntary redistribution is called "theft".

CN
The correct term is "armed robbery".

Involuntary redistribution is the government putting a gun on your head and forcing you to give up your property.

Theft doesn't involve violence.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I would feel that I'm next. I'm no billionaire but this is how oppression starts. I might be next on their list after they destroy all the billionaires.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:32 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would feel that I'm next. I'm no billionaire but this is how oppression starts. I might be next on their list after they destroy all the billionaires.
You are correct. That's how it works. They start with the rich, the middle class, and then the poor. They won't stop until everybody is dirt poor.

One only need to look at how communism worked in countries like USSR, China, NK, Vietnam, all the soviet block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies