Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I addressed your issue as to why our firearms related crime is higher in post #124. Specifically who commits most of this crime, what weapons they use, and where they get these weapons from and why. The laws regulating firearms ownership are more than adequate. Honest citizens owning firearms for various purposes, with the main ones being sport and defensive use, are not contributing to firearms crime, yet all the proposed laws will effect nobody but these people. people like me. And so we oppose further regulation.

We are also fed up with the lack of common sense in the vast majority of the "common sense" legislation being proposed. Common sense on a subject also requires at least a decent working knowledge and experience with said subject. Neither of which the anti firearms rights agenda has. Rather it demonstrates a glaringly obvious ignorance on the issue of firearms and thus a complete lack of common sense. It's all emotionally driven and based on serious misinformation, politically motivated propaganda and outright myth.

I really liked an earlier post that the poster stated a premise that is simple and straightforward. If law enforcement can justify having certain types of firearms, that justification works for the citizens as well. If cops can have M4s in the racks of their cars and on their bikes, I can certainly have one in the rack of my truck, and most certainly in my home. The only problem I see with this premise is that LE is justifying ever increasing levels of serious military type hardware. Lets talk about this "need" argument the antis always rail on with.

What "need" justifies LE to have 50 caliber weapons with RAUFUS ammunition? For those who do not know the purpose of this ammunition, it is designed to defeat light to medium armored vehicles and blast through hard cover to eliminate enemy combatants. Cover such as thick concrete walls and armored vehicles up to Bradley weight. LE also has 40mm rotary grenade launchers, they say they only use for tear gas but also can easily launch AP and HE rounds. These are classified as a "destructive device" under BATF guidelines. As is RAUFUS ammunition. And cops "need" these things?

Tell me again who is escalating the levels of mayhem and destruction ? OK, so the gangs and other cartel muscle has this equipment. How does that equate to citizens owning handguns and ARs? Yet it's citizens who are the target of the anti firearms agenda. Not gangs, the cartel enforcers, terrorists and other criminals. Remember them? The REAL cause of the violence? You say we need to compare ourselves to other Western nations in this. Ummm, have you looked at the UK lately? France, Germany? Terrorism is jut starting to ramp up here, plus we have the cartels on the Southern border exporting their mayhem here. And they are armed with US military equipment. So the cartels gun up with this stuff, LE responds and up the ante to match, the gangs get further well armed via the cartels and become an army in place on the cartels side on and on it goes. And you're worried about citizens with ARs and handguns being used lawfully? (sigh)
Another great post from you. Duly noted that the poster that you took the time and effort to respond to here turned tail and fled this thread without acknowledging or responding to your reply. I don't believe that he/she ever really gave a crap about having their questions answered. They just wanted to pontificate like they had an actual clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Another great post from you. Duly noted that the poster that you took the time and effort to respond to here turned tail and fled this thread without acknowledging or responding to your reply. I don't believe that he/she ever really gave a crap about having their questions answered. They just wanted to pontificate like they had an actual clue.
Which is typical of the gun haters that use the term "Paranoia". Who's the paranoid? Those afraid of a piece of metal.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
For something that was never to be infringed by government, our right to keep and especially bear the arms we choose, has over 2000 infringements nationwide.

Yep. Tis truth. Infringement to out right trampling of the right. None of which has mattered a tinkers damn in putting any kind of dent in criminal misuse of guns. An outright nationwide ban would do nothing either.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
[/b]

Well you did, didn't you.

BTW- France? Don't allow guns? Guess I can't live there.
I'll take no state income taxes and freedom as far away from NY Alex.

Was going to be Texas or Florida.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I addressed your issue as to why our firearms related crime is higher in post #124. Specifically who commits most of this crime, what weapons they use, and where they get these weapons from and why. The laws regulating firearms ownership are more than adequate. Honest citizens owning firearms for various purposes, with the main ones being sport and defensive use, are not contributing to firearms crime, yet all the proposed laws will effect nobody but these people. people like me. And so we oppose further regulation.

We are also fed up with the lack of common sense in the vast majority of the "common sense" legislation being proposed. Common sense on a subject also requires at least a decent working knowledge and experience with said subject. Neither of which the anti firearms rights agenda has. Rather it demonstrates a glaringly obvious ignorance on the issue of firearms and thus a complete lack of common sense. It's all emotionally driven and based on serious misinformation, politically motivated propaganda and outright myth.

I really liked an earlier post that the poster stated a premise that is simple and straightforward. If law enforcement can justify having certain types of firearms, that justification works for the citizens as well. If cops can have M4s in the racks of their cars and on their bikes, I can certainly have one in the rack of my truck, and most certainly in my home. The only problem I see with this premise is that LE is justifying ever increasing levels of serious military type hardware. Lets talk about this "need" argument the antis always rail on with.

What "need" justifies LE to have 50 caliber weapons with RAUFUS ammunition? For those who do not know the purpose of this ammunition, it is designed to defeat light to medium armored vehicles and blast through hard cover to eliminate enemy combatants. Cover such as thick concrete walls and armored vehicles up to Bradley weight. LE also has 40mm rotary grenade launchers, they say they only use for tear gas but also can easily launch AP and HE rounds. These are classified as a "destructive device" under BATF guidelines. As is RAUFUS ammunition. And cops "need" these things?

Tell me again who is escalating the levels of mayhem and destruction ? OK, so the gangs and other cartel muscle has this equipment. How does that equate to citizens owning handguns and ARs? Yet it's citizens who are the target of the anti firearms agenda. Not gangs, the cartel enforcers, terrorists and other criminals. Remember them? The REAL cause of the violence? You say we need to compare ourselves to other Western nations in this. Ummm, have you looked at the UK lately? France, Germany? Terrorism is jut starting to ramp up here, plus we have the cartels on the Southern border exporting their mayhem here. And they are armed with US military equipment. So the cartels gun up with this stuff, LE responds and up the ante to match, the gangs get further well armed via the cartels and become an army in place on the cartels side on and on it goes. And you're worried about citizens with ARs and handguns being used lawfully? (sigh)
*golfers clap* Bravo.

Don't forget they like to say you don't need guns there are police officers who have guns...

Then in the next breath
POLICE ARE RACIST MILITARIZED DEATH SQUADS! They get an address wrong on a heist and kill the wrong people.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Of course, in all cases, it would be an argument over rifles that are over 60 years old in their basic technology. Granted, Dad made that statement about shooting the -15 by being in the Army in the 70's and he really didn't use that statement to argue against me about getting a personal M-14 in the late 80's.........he just said he didn't think I could write it off in taxes as a professional expense. Perhaps yes, maybe, as an infantry Marine Captain but probably no as a Navy security officer.

As it was, I didn't get one because at the time, I just wasn't in the world I am now.
You have good taste.

Closest I have to an M14 is an M1A National Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I mean, I certainly don't want to live in that world, and they can confiscate my firearms only after they come and fight me to the death for them. But I foresee tremendous changes we can hardly conceive of in the next 75 years, many times over.I like to drive and I like my independence even more, and I think it's going to take longer than the big "report" that came out last month saying self-driving ride-hailing electric cars will be prevalent by 2030... but come on, 100 years? No, it is not going to take nearly that long.
Yes it will take that long.

As someone who has to fix sync systems, adaptive cruise control and other attempts at autonomitity, I can honestly tell you it's not there yet. Nowhere close.

The best software in the world is no match to the present hardware.

For example gps... I don't care if it's a TOMTOM/Garmin or factory equipped unit. Whether you're in rural upstate NY or in down town Miami. It will send you to roads that either don't exist, or once did and are no longer connected to something.

Hardware, the issue is with cost and with the natural elements.

A parking aid sensor 2-3 years in NY before they crust up from road salt or the copper wire corrodes. Mass production of wire harnesses and "weather proof" membrane connectors are no match for small scale corrosion which affects the functionality of a simple parking aid sensor.

There's a litmus test for these sensors to be performed to check calibration. If someone rear ends a car while backing up and the beeper doesn't trigger in rapid pace as you reverse chances are there's a corrosion related issue. Same for the adaptive cruise that's supposed to maintain certain car lengths. I've fixed many of those. Most times was snow interfering with it or sensor/circuit issue. Rarely was a hardware issue like an internal module fault. But that did happen. Just not common. Sometimes corrupt data from the factory and a simple reprogramming fixed it.

Now add in the infrastructure to either tell the car it needs to stop for a stop sign or traffic light in the city. While a cyclist darts off a sidewalk or any of the "normal happenings" of a big city.

Then expect it to perform in a rural area with winding back roads, banked, with black ice, and deer leaping out between fields and wooded areas. That's $$$

Then add in the hardware and software needed to remain accurate for years impervious to the elements. Road salt. Heat. Freezing. Humidity. Oxidizing atmosphere. BMW is using fiber optics. It works. Til it doesnt. Gives my buddy at the BMW dealer a headache and a half to figure out and repair. Sometimes it's a burned circuit. Sometimes it's a damaged circuit. Sometimes an entire car needs to be stripped and a whole new harness installed. There are factory boo-boos with pinched harnesses. It happens... no one single manufacturer is perfect 100% be it from a 13k dollar Kia to a 100k dollar BMW.

Most of the issues I've seen first hand with fords hardware was corrosion related. Change the resistance of the wire, the control module doesn't determine there is a problem. Or it does and deactivated the system. A control module is basically a DVOM interpreting voltage and depending on the software programmed to it, has a set of parameters basic logic. If this comes in it means this. Therefore I should keep doing this or alter this to that. Analog or digital.

I'm not ready to see car loads of folks T boned or wind up in an oak tree because of a chance faulty sensor, you already see the air bag recalls spanning manufacturers. And you want to believe or put trust in an autonomous vehicle system being perfected in 20-30 years?

Add in modules to communicate wirelessly that can be manipulated by radio frequency... I have an F250 in my bay at work that has an issue with the panic system and theft system going off randomly. It's not a daily occurance. May happen today. I may go in and hear it honking. It may be just fine. My money is on an RF signal issue. Cell phone or maybe even electrical RF signal from a wire somewhere. Could be in the dash, could be in the frame rail, could be a ground... it's an electrical gremlin I can't reproduce... and I don't simply say NPF and ship it. I'll give my all trying to reproduce the concern. I've driven it. Parked it. Armed the system. I've performed network tests galore. Ohmed out wires... Not a hardware concern at this time... I have the wiring schematics printed and have gone from body control module to every sensor, almost every ground, the gauge cluster the apim (touch screen radio) can network wires you name it. The key fob button isn't sticking. Nor is it a faulty battery or a problem with the fob itself. I can see with a scan tool the BCM pick up the fob within 100 feet.

Had another one a few weeks ago that the lights would not shut off automatically and drain the battery dead. Solar load sensor. The BCM wouldn't time out, had an internal fault with a driver, took a sensor and compared the resistance internally of one fresh out of the wrapper and the one in the truck. Faulty sensor that damaged the BCM. No different when a tail light bulb burns out, customer ignores it and the driver burns out in the BCM goes from a 50 dollar .3 job to replace a bulb to 900 for a module and 1 hour to do a programmable module installation.

And this is for a panic button concern... I'd hate to see what a self driving car would do if a wire had slightly higher resistance or a sensor had an internal short be to ground or voltage or a RF signal make it go wonky...
So yes I stand firm in saying in practicality 100 years to be perfected and sorted out and affordable. That's being realistic. Not pessimistic.

The idea of being dependent upon technology leads one to be crippled. See it now already. Those of us who can drive stick are a huge minority. Imagine a solar flare or emp device...
How many autonomous vehicles would be yard ornaments in the blink of an eye?

I'm not a fan of sensitive electronics. Give me a carburetor and a magneto. Or a mechanically injected diesel. Can't cripple that... no sensitive electronics in either. A purely mechanical device will always be better than one that has sensors and inputs and outputs puts controlled by a computer.

Look at new throttle body drive by wire systems. This is a common problem with Ford. Stepper motor failures to circuit resistance issues to mechanical binding due to carbon build up from crankcase ventilation... there are TSBS recalls and SSMs spanning all models...

Issues I never had with a throttle cable hooked to a mechanical linkage on a scaled down version of a toilet sitting atop 8 cylinders in a V...

Old 06-20-2017, 05:25 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,852 times
As a moderate I'd agree that many NRA memebers are absolutely nuts when it comes to doing the right thing in regards to laws for gun rights. Mentally ill people and people on a no fly list should NOT be allowed to get a gun.... and shore up the loop holes.

Obama, Clinton never were going to take away guns from the 99% of people that are safe with them.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:27 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You have good taste.

Closest I have to an M14 is an M1A National Match. ...
Thank you, but a thing or two.

Much of my time in the Navy, I was in places where they used the M14, so I used it. To me, it is a beautiful rifle with that magazine serving as a palm rest much like a 40X, but....different weights, of course.

As it is, I don't have an M14, I never got one. Given my background, however, it only took about an hour for my ex UDT gun merchant to sell me ...... the AR-10. I say about an hour for back then, before I was an heiress, parting with $1000 was a big step.

I certainly love my -10. With that WHOMP as it sends a round down range, it's better than sex!

..................expensive to feed, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
As a moderate I'd agree that many NRA memebers are absolutely nuts when it comes to doing the right thing in regards to laws for gun rights. Mentally ill people and people on a no fly list should NOT be allowed to get a gun.... and shore up the loop holes.

Obama, Clinton never were going to take away guns from the 99% of people that are safe with them.
Ahhh, there we have a problem in that what is the right thing? Are we talking safety or being an American?

You say that "people on a no fly list should not be allowed to get a gun". So we have a list that people don't know how they might get on it that removes their rights outside a court of law and is decided by people who are not elected or under any kind of review available to the public. If a person is on this list, they have very limited ability to get off this list because there isn't much of a process to review it.

How is this list really any different than the Jim Crow laws when rights are removed?

Long story short is that if the government is to take away peoples' rights, they haul them into court and go through due process of law. There is no quick and easy way to do it..................and there should not be.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-20-2017 at 05:36 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Thank you, but a thing or two.

Much of my time in the Navy, I was in places where they used the M14, so I used it. To me, it is a beautiful rifle with that magazine serving as a palm rest much like a 40X, but....different weights, of course.

As it is, I don't have an M14, I never got one. Given my background, however, it only took about an hour for my ex UDT gun merchant to sell me ...... the AR-10. I say about an hour for back then, before I was an heiress, parting with $1000 was a big step.

I certainly love my -10. With that WHOMP as it sends a round down range, it's better than sex!

..................expensive to feed, though.
Yes. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I built one of my Exs an AR chambered in 308 to go deer hunting with me. She didn't care for the recoil.

Can't remember who the manufacturer was, but their stock was comparable to the modern GL Shock stock, it absorbed the recoil very well and was adjustable as well. Added a muzzle brake and recoil was similar to 5.56. Hand guard was a free float back then quad rail deal. Now with modern key mod and Mlock they're much lighter.

Was tricky getting it to feed properly. Took the right spring and buffer weight to keep from short stroking, hold the bolt catch on the last round and to keep the buffer from smacking the end of the tube. Now with adjustable gas blocks that can remedy that.

Vltor forged upper, DPMS lower, I forget the rest of the stuff I had in it. That was... almost 10 years ago. I remember the stainless barrel, the muzzle brake scope and bipod. All tallied up was 3500 back then. She could shoot the eyes out of a bee with it. Took her first buck with it too. Was much lighter than the bolt action her father wanted her to start out with. Adjustable stock made it easier for her to handle. Her reach was significantly shorter than his or mine, a standard wood stock winchester Ruger or Remington bolt gun would require the scope to sit far back behind the bolt for her to use which just wasn't safe.

Good way to get a black eye or broken nose.

And AR collapsing stocks are an evil feature
At least with the collapsible stock and rail top, if she were to sell it the buyer could move the scope forward and stock back for proper reach and eye relief. Opposed to having a custom made stock for a standard bolt action that would never sell... plus having the ability to collapse the stock and place it inside a 22 rifle bag.

I forget what muzzle brake I used but it also mitigated flash... in low light dense forest situation you didn't have a blinding muzzle flash to contend with... Cuomo thinks flash suppressors are evil... Guess he never shot in reduced light dense forest conditions and had the flash burn and floating dancing dots in his eyes... take the flash suppressor off a 223 mini 14 or AR15. May as well hang your target facing the sun...

Old 06-20-2017, 05:58 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post

Loop hole. Explain? That sounds like the latest buzz word like "Russians" that no one can explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies