Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
No one should be surprised by this. The GOP has one overriding philosophy, which is the reverse Robin Hood. They steal from the poor and middle class and give to the wealthy. It's their one and only goal. And it's the one thing they continually and truly excel at.
And yet the poor and middle class keep voting for them. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
No one should be surprised by this. The GOP has one overriding philosophy, which is the reverse Robin Hood. They steal from the poor and middle class and give to the wealthy. It's their one and only goal. And it's the one thing they continually and truly excel at.
Because history has shown over and over and over again that the less government gets involved, the better off everyone is. The rich are the ones that hire people. There is no net gain when you steal from the rich and give to the poor. The poor stay poor and the rich can't hire anyone.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Part of what pays for Obamacare is taxes on the ultra wealthy and investment and payroll taxes. It also provides federal spending for things like Medicaid.

The GOP bill ends the Obamacare taxes on the ultra wealthy, ends taxes on insurance companies and drug makers. It also drastically reduces federal spending on Medicaid, which phases out that program.

Ultimately, it amounts to some $800 billion in tax cuts primarily that will go to the top 2% of American earners. Sheldon Adelson, for example, who is a major Republican donor, will get at least $40 million dollars from this bill's tax cuts.

TL,DR: GOP bill cuts money to benefit poorer and older Americans and gives massive amounts of money to ultra rich people, insurance companies, and drug companies.
So your telling me the federal government separates taxes paid by the ultra wealthy and on investments from payroll taxes paid by the working class and only a portion of those taxes are used for obamacare?
And in this health care bill those particular taxes will no longer be collected or no longer be used to pay for Medicaid? What is this tax on the ultra wealthy that goes to pay called?

Can you provide me a link showing how this is done?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And yet the poor and middle class keep voting for them. Why?
Because they're brainless idiots who consistently vote party over country. We see them here on this board every day.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
After doing Taxes this year and realizing how much of my money was wasted on health insurance. I think we are just going to throw in the towel in the next month or so and just pay cash until health insurance actually is affordable again one day....

Im sick of throwing money away and then not even hitting deductibles ..... its ridiculous ....
I agree. I didn't buy care through the ACA exchange, but my premiums are nearing $300 a month which is still a lot for getting nothing.

But the GOP isn't trying to fix that issue, they're just trying to screw over the poor and older people to give money to insurance companies and rich people.

How about we work on something universal like every other 1st world country? How about we stop catering to drug and insurance companies? Dems are the only ones who want that.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Sorry but I have got to the point where I think they should pass this bill.
It's the only way to open peoples eyes at this stage how truly awful 'healthcare' (if you can call it that) will be under Trump.
Then we can get rid of this administration.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:16 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Can anyone show where in the bill it says the Fed Gov is going to give Sheldon Adelson $40 million, as Fiyero has asserted? Or is that just a bunch of horsebleep? I want to see the section of the bill that says the Fed Gov will give money to the rich.

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
You forget how entrenched some people are in their parties.

There are tons of rural poor people who would vote for the GOP congressman even if he personally came to their house, shot their dog, beat their kids with a hammer and set their house on fire. (Same with some urban Dems)
Not tons. A handful here and there.

Most folks just plain don't pay much attention to politics. Totally unlike those of us who come here to post in this forum.

If either party can convince these tepid voters that what they offer is better for them and what the other side favors is not, then they'll be persuaded.

The Dems have done a horrible job with their messaging. They've emphasized fringe issues that the vast majority of Americans have little interest in. Meanwhile, the Pubs paint the Dems as out of touch and obsessed with things that don't really matter to working families.

The Pubs are right about that and they keep winning as a result. The Dems keep losing and keep refusing to learn from those losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So your telling me the federal government separates taxes paid by the ultra wealthy and on investments from payroll taxes paid by the working class and only a portion of those taxes are used for obamacare?
And in this health care bill those particular taxes will no longer be collected or no longer be used to pay for Medicaid? What is this tax on the ultra wealthy that goes to pay called?

Can you provide me a link showing how this is done?
Republican Health Care Bill Delivers Big Tax Cut For The Rich : NPR

Old 06-22-2017, 11:17 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
In that case, you better get off the internet at your local library...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies