Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support massive legislature aimed at reducing obesity rates in the United States?
yes 44 30.56%
No 84 58.33%
fidget spinners are dumber than the pet rock 16 11.11%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Science clearly shows that when you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight.

That is just a FACT.
This is a fact of the past when we were much less sedentary. Pretty much everyone is in a chair by the time they hit 40. One can only lower the calorie intake so much, then it becomes a health risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 11:17 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Once again.
You can type it a thousand times. You oversimplify the problem to where from facts don't lead to the truth.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This is a fact of the past when we were much less sedentary. Pretty much everyone is in a chair by the time they hit 40. One can only lower the calorie intake so much, then it becomes a health risk.
So.... are you saying it's not a fact?

Old 06-24-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You can type it a thousand times. You oversimplify the problem to where from facts don't lead to the truth.
It's not oversimplifying anything.

People gain weight when their calorie intake is too high.

Sorry if this FACT upsets you.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:24 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
There are hormonal problems that actually make weight gain a medical issue.

Of course these days, we tend to make anything a medical issue. If your great aunt refused to give you apple pie when you were a child, the resulting trauma is a medical issue now that you are 34.

We tend to gain weight as we grow older and it is more difficult to win the battle of the bulge.

All that said. Probably 95% or more of overweight people simply eat too much and do not exercise enough.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:25 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Armed robbery is never a good idea to support.
Even when there are roads to be built?

Old 06-24-2017, 11:27 AM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
You'll lose weight.

You take pretty much anyone that's overweight outside of those with a legit glandular disorder and have hem eat mostly fruits, vegetables and lean unprocessed meats, and they'll lose weight. Most fat people will claim this isn't true because they tend to justify their lifestyles, but deep down, they typically know the truth.
If I eat a lot of fruits I end up in the emergency room bleeding from my bladder/urinary tract because of the IC. If I eat vegetables I end up in the e.r. bleeding from my intestines and colon from the Crohn's disease and have to have IV treatment to slow down the bleeding. Lots of e.r. visits over the years have added up, paid by Medicaid.

Every time I've lost weight I did absolutely nothing different and it just happened. I usually keep gaining or stay the same. I once dropped 30lbs in a couple weeks and I did nothing to cause it.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:27 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

So, we simply set it up so everyone takes care of their own health care, the cost? That works for me. If obesity is the issue, no government aide, they will be personally responsible. Sounds good.

Obesity is over the top and costing a bundle with each one of us subsiding the bad choices being made. They have tried to make it acceptable, yet because it affects more than the obese person, it is not selling.
yes get the state of all of it a-z. No one should be held up to pay for their neighbors lifestyle choices and understanding health care costs would fall without govt meddling.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:29 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Science clearly shows that when you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight.

That is just a FACT.
Indeed, but the calories burnt from deliberate workouts is minimal compared to those burnt from resting metabolism. And if someone dips below their set point, the resting metabolic rate gets lower.

Considering that you have to jog for an hour to burn off 1 cup of cooked rice, an increase in exercise needs to burn off the same amount of calories is realistically going to at best stall weight loss if you're below your set point.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Indeed, but the calories burnt from deliberate workouts is minimal compared to those burnt from resting metabolism. And if someone dips below their set point, the resting metabolic rate gets lower.

Considering that you have to jog for an hour to burn off 1 cup of cooked rice, an increase in exercise needs to burn off the same amount of calories is realistically going to at best stall weight loss if you're below your set point.

Is there anyone alive who doesn't burn any calories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies