Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support massive legislature aimed at reducing obesity rates in the United States?
yes 44 30.56%
No 84 58.33%
fidget spinners are dumber than the pet rock 16 11.11%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:39 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This is a fact of the past when we were much less sedentary. Pretty much everyone is in a chair by the time they hit 40. One can only lower the calorie intake so much, then it becomes a health risk.
LOL

If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

That's not a fact of the past. That's not a fact of the future. That is simply a fact. My 7 year old knows this.

The excuses on this thread are unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
If I eat a lot of fruits I end up in the emergency room bleeding from my bladder/urinary tract because of the IC. If I eat vegetables I end up in the e.r. bleeding from my intestines and colon from the Crohn's disease and have to have IV treatment to slow down the bleeding. Lots of e.r. visits over the years have added up, paid by Medicaid.

Every time I've lost weight I did absolutely nothing different and it just happened. I usually keep gaining or stay the same. I once dropped 30lbs in a couple weeks and I did nothing to cause it.
You sound like you have a lot of quit in you. As it's already been pointed out, if you burn more calories than you take in, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!

Fruits and vegetables are an easy way to do it especially if they're raw because you burn more calories digesting them, and they run right through you. I you can't eat lots of fruits and vegetables, then I would suggest finding other low calorie foods like lean meats.

You choose to be overweight 99% of the time. This is why you don't see fat indigenous people along the amazon or in sub Sahara Africa. Furthermore, the majority of these "health issues" that fat people use as an excuse are caused by eating like $hit. Once again this is why you don't see fat indigenous people along the amazon or in sub Sahara Africa.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:51 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Is there anyone alive who doesn't burn any calories?
No. I never said that. It just becomes progressively harder to lose weight. It's never impossible. But I've known people who needed to eat only 1200 calories just to maintain...and they were normal weight or even overweight at average height.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:54 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
You sound like you have a lot of quit in you. As it's already been pointed out, if you burn more calories than you take in, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!

Fruits and vegetables are an easy way to do it especially if they're raw because you burn more calories digesting them, and they run right through you. I you can't eat lots of fruits and vegetables, then I would suggest finding other low calorie foods like lean meats.

You choose to be overweight 99% of the time. This is why you don't see fat indigenous people along the amazon or in sub Sahara Africa. Furthermore, the majority of these "health issues" that fat people use as an excuse are caused by eating like $hit. Once again this is why you don't see fat indigenous people along the amazon or in sub Sahara Africa.
I've seen plenty of fat people in sub Saharan African countries and other developing countries. Not to the extent of the USA mind you, but they definitely are around.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:04 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
In general, I'm no fan of attempts to legislate / socially engineer responsible behavior. I'm not a fan of giving government all the power, either.

THREAD: an article from the future: is this a valid argument against single payer?

SEPARATE POST: http://www.city-data.com/forum/48059493-post12.html

(I'm 42, never eat sugar, eat lots of fat, work out several times per week, and my body fat % is around 11% with excellent vital signs, though that has little to do with my argument.)

Last edited by Nepenthe; 06-24-2017 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: spelling / typo

Old 06-24-2017, 12:09 PM

8,386 posts, read 4,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
In general, I'm no fan of attempts to legislate / socially engineer responsible behavior. I'm not a fan of giving government all the power, either.

THREAD: an article from the future: is this a valid argument against single payer?

SEPARATE POST: http://www.city-data.com/forum/48059493-post12.html

(I'm 42, never eat sugar, eat lots of fat, work out several times per week, and my body fat % is around 11%, thought that has little to do with my argument.)
I do not disagree with you as long as the government doesn't pay for disease and illness related to obesity which includes a lot of diabetics and carido issues.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:14 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
The government puts "healthy grains" at the base of the pyramid. If you're eating pasta and bread all the time you'll have a hard time losing weight because carbs are addictive and insulin promotes fat storage.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:18 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
If you're eating pasta and bread all the time you'll have a hard time losing weight because carbs are addictive and insulin promotes fat storage.
I've virtually given up bread. Maybe once or twice a month I'll have something bready. I recommend that to everyone.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I've seen plenty of fat people in sub Saharan African countries and other developing countries. Not to the extent of the USA mind you, but they definitely are around.
Not indigenous people. Reading comprehension my friend. It's what's for dinner!

Nice cherry pick though

Old 06-24-2017, 12:24 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,500,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post

I hardly eat anything at all. I've had some days where I just ate a few crackers. It's after 2PM here and all I've eaten is a small banana all day. I stay hungry most of the day. I have to take pills to keep from throwing up. And even with all of that I'm still overweight. I've had some days where I throw up most of the day and go mostly without eating at all and don't lose an ounce. The doctors don't even try to find out what's wrong. Instead, they act like nothing is wrong since I weigh so much. I highly doubt trying to eat more will cause me to lose weight. I'll just get sicker. I already have to go to the e.r. a bit for IV fluids because I get dehydrated so bad. When I'm bleeding too they add steroids to slow down the bleeding. So, eating less does not cause weight loss or I'd be skinny like I used to be. I used to be so skinny people thought I was anorexic. And I actually ate a lot more back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies