Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 01:12 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

Medicaid doesn't cover Assisted Living facilities. ..
It does in many states. https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/...ed-living.html

Some that don't cover assisted living, cover adult foster home placement in certain circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 01:13 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very passion8 View Post
Don't people over 65 not only qualify for medicare, but are compelled to have medicare as a means of medical insurance? Medicaid is for the poor under 65, isn't it? So how is a 70 year old going to be affected if medicaid is cut?

Unless I am completely mistaken about the roles and differences between medicare and medicaid, I'm sensing the media might be playing on the ignorance and emotions of people.
Medicare does not pay for Nursing Homes for one. It will for a few weeks a year.

Medicare Part A covers up to 100 days of "skilled nursing" care per spell of illness. However, the conditions for obtaining Medicare coverage of a nursing home stay are quite stringent. Here are the main requirements:
The Medicare recipient must enter the nursing home no more than 30 days after a hospital stay (meaning admission as an inpatient; "observation status" does not count) that itself lasted for at least three days (not counting the day of discharge).
The care provided in the nursing home must be for the same condition that caused the hospitalization (or a condition medically related to it).
The patient must receive a "skilled" level of care in the nursing facility that cannot be provided at home or on an outpatient basis. In order to be considered "skilled," nursing care must be ordered by a physician and delivered by, or under the supervision of, a professional such as a physical therapist, registered nurse or licensed practical nurse. Moreover, such care must be delivered on a daily basis. (Few nursing home residents receive this level of care.)
https://www.elderlawanswers.com/medi...coverage-12131

Old 06-25-2017, 01:15 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Some facilities allow self-pay residents to switch to Medicaid when the time comes. Others do not and require residents to move when they run out of money.

Medicaid-only facilities are generally dismal places.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Well for one thing people, as you say baby boomers, who are entering nursing home in their later stage of life are more likely to be on Medicare not medicaid. So what you are espousing to is nothing but a liberal ploy at fear mongering.

FYI information more people lost their retirement monies at the end of the Clinton administration due to retirement investments in the so-called 'Dot.com' era and lost a ton of retirement money when the bubble busting from 1999 to 2000.

Medicare pays for Skilled Nursing for 90 days. Then, you're out. Meant for Acute Skilled Care--Rehab. You can get back in for another 90 days w/ another separate identifiable "diagnosis," but it doesn't go on and on... Acute care is meant for short term and it is that way.

Long Term care in a Nursing Home is not covered by Medicare at all. It's Private Pay, your funds, people go broke after a few years or more (if they're lucky)of 80 K/year and go on Medicaid.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very passion8 View Post
Did they have anyone before the huge expansion of medicaid under President Obama? It's only a problem now that republicans want to cut, err I mean restore medicaid back to pre-ObamaCare levels? This is just a little too tidy of a blame game for me. Decades without huge expansions to medicaid, then all of a sudden it's expanded under democrat control, but now that the other side is proposing restoring funding to historic levels, it's all of a sudden a huge deal?

Is it possible that the left, with the aid of a left leaning media, are making a mountain out of a molehill, just like they are doing with the possible elimination of ObamaCare?
You didn't know they are going farther than that.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I agree with you - you do deserve whatever you get when the Democrats have been very, very clear that they will OBSTRUCT and do nothing. Obama threatened a VETO if his precious ObamaCare was ever touched and so the Democrats never would work on it. It's so convoluted that any one thing removed can make it implode - it was never funded and costs are out of control with enrollment decreasing. 20 Million can't lose their ObamaCare because there are only about 10 Million even signed up this year and the same last year.

You want a Non "crappy" bill -- contact your CongressCritters and demand that THEY get to work on Health Care instead of whining about it.

ACA was always a disaster because it was Crammed Down with ZERO Republican votes, any new Health Care Law will be the same UNLESS the Democrats participate for the good of ALL Americans.

Obstruction will not win the day.
Of course, no Republicans voted for it. Don't you remember their job was to make Obama a one term President?

Old 06-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Be sure and get back to us when Alice is tossed into the street to die. The New York Times article is fear mongering with their "Alice COULD get tossed out to die" ...... that is simply not going to happen and they know it's not going to happen.
Because they won't get enough votes to pass this piece of ...

Old 06-25-2017, 01:33 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,562,853 times
If this comes to pass we'll just go back to how life was lived 75 years ago when Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa lived with their adult children. You'll get to be caregivers again. Add that to a number of adult children that are living with their parents and the house might be getting a little crowded. But hey, think of all that tax money you'll save (but don't spend it all, you've got ramps, railings, mobility tubs and such to install in your home to accommodate your elderly family members)

Enjoy your life. (well technically it it be your life anymore after the need to daily feed, medicate, change diapers, transport for doctor's appointments and all that stuff you had someone else do for you. Oh, there goes any time for vacations as well, used it all up care-giving)

Last edited by take57; 06-25-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Well for one thing people, as you say baby boomers, who are entering nursing home in their later stage of life are more likely to be on Medicare not medicaid. So what you are espousing to is nothing but a liberal ploy at fear mongering.

FYI information more people lost their retirement monies at the end of the Clinton administration due to retirement investments in the so-called 'Dot.com' era and lost a ton of retirement money when the bubble busting from 1999 to 2000.
Did you know that Medicare will only take you for up to one hundred days?

Medicare Part A covers up to 100 days of "skilled nursing" care per spell of illness.
https://www.elderlawanswers.com/medi...coverage-12131

Old 06-25-2017, 01:47 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If your mother likes in a 2 bedroom unit, it's most likely an Assisted Living unit and not a Nursing Home Unit. Assisted Living is cheaper than Nursing Home. If you shop around for Nursing Home care for your mother (when she gets worse off), you will see that the price is higher than what you pay for Assisted Living.

Medicaid doesn't cover Assisted Living facilities. You can compare prices on Assisted Living facilities and see all kinds of prices. Some are in cheaper areas, some are older and have smaller units, etc. Just like all apartments and all houses in the USA don't cost the same...assisted living facilities also have different prices. Since medicaid doesn't cover these, it's a moot point. Someone that is more wealthy might choose a posh assisted living facility with a great view, large rooms and gourmet meals. Someone that's less well off will choose a cheaper, older assisted living facility. Self pay, so who cares if the person with more money picks the more expensive facility.

Nursing Home requires nursing care and additional services that aren't provided in Assisted Living facilities. Elderly have to meet the criteria to be in a Nursing Home and they have to be pretty disabled/elderly/sickly to qualify for Nursing Home care. Often elderly go to Assisted Living facilities first and they don't go to Nursing Homes until they get older/sicker/more disabled. For nursing home care, Medicaid doesn't have an open checkbook. There is a set limit that Medicaid will pay. A posh/expensive Nursing Home facility is less likely to accept medicaid patients because they charge more than medicaid is willing to pay.
Most "Nursing homes" today are Rehabilitation & Nursing facilities - the old StereoType "Nursing Home" is getting rare, particularly in cities. They still exist in small towns but there are only a couple in my city that accept long time nursing care patients without other care options. Both of my Grandmothers died in "Nursing homes" - the type of place where you have a small room with one or two other patients and everyone lays in a bed all day. That was many years ago and times (and facilities) have "changed".

I'm actually very familiar with all of that. I helped my Aunt and Uncle (about 14 years ago) into the same facility that Mom is now in. Uncle barely was accepted (last of many strokes) into their Assisted Living building and both he and my Aunt later ended up in the Nursing Facility. Did died several years back, but was in a Special Medicare experimental/pilot Hospice program at the end. Mom is still in the 2 bed unit in the Indy unit because we don't want her to move until she has to go into Assisted or Nursing care.

This particular company they are with has Nursing, Alziemers, Assisted Living & Independent Living separate facilities. A resident moves between the facilities as needed. I've been the Primary Caregiver to these Elders for almost 15 years - I DO know how the system works. I'm in and out of there all the time. None of my family has used either the VA Aid program or the Medicaid program but that doesn't mean I don't keep up with Elder care. Most of my friends have parents in their 90's same as I do - we all keep up with it and spend a lot of time on their care and checking up on facilities.

Medicaid DOES cover some Assisted Living facilities, which by definition meet the criteria of "needs assistance for dressing/eating/movement/medication/bathing/monitoring" - AND meets the income/assets criteria. Many don't know that the VA has a similar program and War Veterans and their Surviving Spouse can qualify if they meet the "need care" and "financial" criteria. When an Elder moves on to these Government funded programs, their Social Security checks also help pay their care facility - either Nursing or Assisted Living.

The prices I quoted from Dogwood are directly from their website and I posted the link. The POINT is that the Nursing Home/Senior Care Center that Alice of the New York Times lives in, is a State Owned Facility and that Medicaid is a State Run Program. Alice and those like Alice in these State run Nursing facilities or even State/Medicare/Medicaid certified facilities are NOT going to throw people out into the street.

It's strictly partisan, ludicrous and fear mongering to say that will happen & it's all because of President Trump and the EvilRepublicans. I know it, you should know it and the New York Times certainly knows it ....... which is why they used the qualifier for FakeNews ..... MAY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies