Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 02:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Due to Obama care my insurance costs have gone from $450 to $1080 a month in just 4 years. It's killing us self employed and many can no longer afford it. It was designed to fail and Dems also have had 8 years to fix it.
What plan have they come up with to rescue their program? Zilch. They just figured Hillary would win and we'd all be forced to single payer.
ACA was designed to fail and it's failing. If anyone does nothing it will fail within the next 2 years.
You do understand that you will likely pay more under the Senate plan, right? Winners And Losers: 40 Is Old In Senate GOP Health Plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 02:57 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I am informed by my elder lawyer it is usually not more than 3-5 years.

In my town a 2 bedroom apartment that provides 2 meals a day is $6000 a month. No help. If you ring the bell for somebody to come help you, it is a $30 charge.

Real live nursing home care is 600 a day.

It is my understanding that you have to spend almost all you have for Medicaid to help. They can put your assets in a Miller trust so you can access Medicaid, but the government gets it all when you die.

Also, Medicaid can see how you spent every dime of your money for 5 years prior to qualifying for medicaid.
Every state is a little different and it changes constantly. I had a friend in a nursing home a few years ago and here, in Missouri, she had to have total assets under $3,000.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:59 PM

1,349 posts, read 664,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell and Donald Trump simply do not give a crap about what happens to these people.

All those commercials showing the GOP dumping grandma off a cliff were, unfortunately, not hype. As we can see from this horrific bill they are putting forth, it depicts the very reality that the Republican party is trying to usher in.

And the mindless idiot cult cheers, and probably will continue to cheer even when it's their own grandma being dumped on the street. Hell, she probably deserves it for not saving a few million bucks to take care of herself in her old age.

The Republicans in Congress make me ashamed to be an American.
One poster actually said so, quite candidly I found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When you are too old or infirm to take care of yourself and no one will take you in, it is not time to turn to your government. It is just "time".
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggirll View Post
And if they won't just quietly go into the other room and die then..????? Put them down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I suppose they will do what poor, elderly people in other countries with third world social services do, rely on charity or beg on the streets and die there too.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:03 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You do understand that you will likely pay more under the Senate plan, right? Winners And Losers: 40 Is Old In Senate GOP Health Plan
He will see that cost double again. And his deductibles will go through the roof. No mandate, a smaller pool, the self insured will become the ones who pay this bill.

Medicare user's will see some pretty bad stuff as the GOP wants to give POTUS and his buddies a BIG tax cut.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Not going to happen.

Typical NYT/WAPO anti Trump BS.
It's already happening..Oklahoma can't afford to pay for medicaid even with the current federal funding, last year they toyed with the idea of cutting provider reimbursement and decided against it when they realized all the nursing homes would go out of business.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:13 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
NY State has a program--NHTD-- Nursing Home Transfer/ Diversion. Trying to keep seniors out of nursing homes (diversion) or get them out and back home once they're in one(transfer). State pays part of the cost or all, can't exactly recall, to have Aides care for them at home. It's cheaper! They end up, long term, on Medicaid, which the state will pay the NH's significantly more than paying for In-Home Aides.

The program was pretty innovative to me, coming from Arizona, where you lie on the ground and die when you get that age and incapacitated.

Not sure how many other, if any, states manage something akin to this program. Makes sense that we look at different ways to do the same thing and cheaper. They had a TBI program, too, for brain damaged people. Instead of putting them in an institution for life, Aides cared for them at home, too. Sure there are program requirements and stipulations, etc.,

Old 06-25-2017, 03:14 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

by Jordan Rau - June 24, 2017 - New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...T.nav=top-news
This is absolutely the future of the USA if the Republicans are allowed to go ahead with this massive TAX CUT plan for the uber wealthy...

And dont forget crushing medicaid this way is going to slash the funding to fight the opioid problem. I am surprised Trumpers are fine with slashing these funds.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:15 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Every state is a little different and it changes constantly. I had a friend in a nursing home a few years ago and here, in Missouri, she had to have total assets under $3,000.
IIRC, in Texas you get to keep your house, if the other spouse is still living in it. There is also a cap on the value. Medicaid will put a lien on it.

It is not as easy as some think. And the nursing homes that will take Medicaid are probably not where I would want to spend my last year.

SIL has already figured between his parents and us it will be better to put us all in one place and hire somebody to ride herd over us.

Last edited by crone; 06-25-2017 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-25-2017, 03:24 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
I know a young man who is blind and is raising three kids by himself. Medicaid pays for an aide to go shopping for him, help prepare meals, clean house etc. 4 hours a day. She also helps him make sure bills get paid. This is one of the things the Republicans want to cut here.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:27 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I know a young man who is blind and is raising three kids by himself. Medicaid pays for an aide to go shopping for him, help prepare meals, clean house etc. 4 hours a day. She also helps him make sure bills get paid. This is one of the things the Republicans want to cut here.
It's his fault for being blind. Why didn't he save up a few million dollars for to prepare for exactly this kind of thing?***

***Just channeling our resident right wingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies