Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 04:20 PM

1,349 posts, read 664,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I've been a nurse forever. Most elder's families do not take care of them long term. It isn't feasible (they work and have to earn money) or can't handle it. Have you ever taken care of a dementia patient 24/7?? Please think about it seriously. Even the professional caregivers get burnt out....and they get to go home every day. It's just not reality and something that happens. Even the wealthiest (who I work with) families don't want too much involvement. They can't or don't want to do it. It's overwhelming and they have responsibilities themselves.
Don't bother them with facts.

Cleaning your gradparents diapers, etc?

They just don"t think it might happen to them !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 01:06 PM

59,128 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
So... you don't agree with anyone thinking through "what if" scenarios for proposals? For anything that is proposed, your stance is, "I'll approve every idea and wait to see what happens so I know for sure?" Of course we're evaluating what MAY happen because it's an important part of formulating an opinion.
Why would you want to form an opinion something that does NOT EXIST yet?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why would you want to form an opinion something that does NOT EXIST yet?
So how are they supposed to vote on a plan if they can't have an opinion on it before it's enacted?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
I hate America sometimes.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:43 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

by Jordan Rau - June 24, 2017 - New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...T.nav=top-news
What makes you think the elderly will be forced out of nursing homes or that particular faucet of medicaid will be cut?

per the linked article:

While most Medicaid enrollees are children, pregnant women and nonelderly adults, long-term services such as nursing homes account for 42 percent of all Medicaid spending — even though only 6 percent of Medicaid enrollees use them.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:04 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What makes you think the elderly will be forced out of nursing homes or that particular faucet of medicaid will be cut?

per the linked article:

While most Medicaid enrollees are children, pregnant women and nonelderly adults, long-term services such as nursing homes account for 42 percent of all Medicaid spending — even though only 6 percent of Medicaid enrollees use them.
This is an important question and a gap in the current bill. It doesn't specify which parts of Medicaid has to take cuts in the future. So if Medicaid only has 10 dollars to dole out, who is determining that it goes to Unemployed Lazy Joe or Grandma? As far as I can tell, it's first come first serve as soon as you get qualified. I think some structure around that would at least make some people here feel a lot better about it.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:09 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Cutting billions while the population of elderly needing assisted living is growing, the population of children who need services is growing, the population of those with disabilities is growing ... means that there will not be enough funds for the ones on Medicaid now, let alone the new ones coming along.

Some will shoved off the bus.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
This is an important question and a gap in the current bill. It doesn't specify which parts of Medicaid has to take cuts in the future. So if Medicaid only has 10 dollars to dole out, who is determining that it goes to Unemployed Lazy Joe or Grandma? As far as I can tell, it's first come first serve as soon as you get qualified. I think some structure around that would at least make some people here feel a lot better about it.
Yet we go straight to the elderly being forced out of nursing homes.
When monies were cut for the block grants it was the elderly are going to die of starvation and neglect because MOW federal money is being cut.

Agreed it would be nice to know the details of the cuts over the 10 year period, but alas we dont.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:18 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Each states makes decisions on how Medicaid is divided up.

States have the option of funding long-term care via Medicaid. Not all do.

For example, Louisiana does not.

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/...ed-living.html

Old 06-27-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Cutting billions while the population of elderly needing assisted living is growing, the population of children who need services is growing, the population of those with disabilities is growing ... means that there will not be enough funds for the ones on Medicaid now, let alone the new ones coming along.

Some will shoved off the bus.
If all this tax dollar need is growing while the tax base isnt what is going to happen? Where will the increase in dollars come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies