Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 12:39 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
A few ideas:

More enforcement and implementation of State Filial Laws: https://www.agingcare.com/articles/f...aid-197746.htm

Black pill?

Put grannie on an ice flow and let her drift out to sea?

Or just eliminate Medicaid entirely? "Chief lieutenants in the Koch brothers' political network lashed out at the Senate Republican health care bill on Saturday as not conservative enough, becoming a powerful outside critic as GOP leaders try to rally support for their plan among rank-and-file Republicans.

Tim Phillips, who leads Americans For Prosperity, the Koch network's political arm, called the Senate's plans for Medicaid "a slight nip and tuck" of President Barack Obama's health care law, a modest change he described as "immoral."

"This Senate bill needs to get better," Phillips said. "It has to get better.""

Koch chief says health care bill insufficiently conservative | Colorado Springs Gazette, News
Interesting. Two generational households are largely a 1950s and later thing. Both my parents had grandparents move in. I already told my parents if they run out of money they can move in. Not anticipating it as they would have to move NJ where my jobs are, but they know they are covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:12 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
OP it's quite possible some nursing homes will go out of business and then what happens to the residents of these places? Quite a few years ago I worked in that industry and I can tell you that many of those families won't take care of their elderly family members. To be quite frank many Americans are extremely selfish and heartless when dealing with their elderly parents that's my two sense, Oh but they sure like to pay lip service to make themselves look compassionate.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:37 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No one is even discussing medicare, this is about medicaid.
My spelling mistake...medicaid...

Old 06-26-2017, 01:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
OP it's quite possible some nursing homes will go out of business and then what happens to the residents of these places? Quite a few years ago I worked in that industry and I can tell you that many of those families won't take care of their elderly family members. To be quite frank many Americans are extremely selfish and heartless when dealing with their elderly parents that's my two sense, Oh but they sure like to pay lip service to make themselves look compassionate.
I could very well see the nursing homes go out of business. Medicaid currently pays two thirds of nursing home costs in the United States. Take that away and the remaining third would have to prop up the entire industry. Where do those elderly go? I know someone whose mother has dementia and it gets worse every day. Not sure what their plan is.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:57 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Modern science and medicine means that people are living much longer these days. And real wages have been stagnant for decades now, meaning that everyone who can work is working to survive. How do you propose people take care of their aging relatives 24/7 while keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table?

Get off your high horse. It's not always about selfishness or heartlessness. In many cases--probably most cases--it's about reality.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:13 PM

1,349 posts, read 664,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Instead of spending the money she did on horses, she could have spent that money on long term care insurance.
I hope it is a joke, and a bad one. That I can understand. We all make bad jokes and misunderstood ones.

Otherwise, and if not, how do you DARE, sir, how do you?

Do you have millions in the bank to ensure that if you live till 120, you'll take care of yourself? 100.000$ a year, without inflation?

How dare you say such a thing ! This is despicable. I do hope it was a bad joke.

Another, very important, question here needs to be asked, and I'll use that person's post as ground for it .

That person, who may or not be real, did save for her old days. She did use her savings, everyone of them, when those were drained, and oh, HORROR, she lived till 90!, all gone.

Should she have never lived and just be happy in what old years were to come?

What does life mean to you? Should we all just exist to survive and never live? just be satisfied to get by or to have a big house, too many cars to drive, too many shoes to wear (just for fun,since we only have two foots, obviously), too many rooms to clean, too many, so many as a proof that we actually exist and mean something ?

Life isn't that, I feel. It's about being meaningful, caring, successful yes (but not necessarily $$), loving and kind, happy in a word.

What in what you say even conveys that?

I just hope you never find youself in such a situation. It is terrible, difficult, and I don't have the right words to describe it.

Happy you have your tens of millions put aside. And also happy that you didn't represent yourself as a christian.

I certainly am not but still grieve for your lack of soul and empathy. Sir.

Last edited by personne; 06-26-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 02:24 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

by Jordan Rau - June 24, 2017 - New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...T.nav=top-news
People possibly forced out of nursing homes if Medicaid is cut "

If, if, if

"
Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes"

May, may may.

Come back when it happens and stop with all these if and maybe "projections"

Then again, it is the NY Times.

It could just as accurate to say, the NY Times is going to go bankrupt IF they keep up their ultr biased stories.

Or, Maybe the NT Times will go bankrupt if they continue to retract many of their false claims.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:40 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
People possibly forced out of nursing homes if Medicaid is cut "

If, if, if

"
Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes"

May, may may.

Come back when it happens and stop with all these if and maybe "projections"

Then again, it is the NY Times.

It could just as accurate to say, the NY Times is going to go bankrupt IF they keep up their ultr biased stories.

Or, Maybe the NT Times will go bankrupt if they continue to retract many of their false claims.
So... you don't agree with anyone thinking through "what if" scenarios for proposals? For anything that is proposed, your stance is, "I'll approve every idea and wait to see what happens so I know for sure?" Of course we're evaluating what MAY happen because it's an important part of formulating an opinion.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:48 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. I do. Not necessarily by simply cutting a check, but by loving and caring for people and investing in lives of people. We don't have to ship old people off to a home.
I've been a nurse forever. Most elder's families do not take care of them long term. It isn't feasible (they work and have to earn money) or can't handle it. Have you ever taken care of a dementia patient 24/7?? Please think about it seriously. Even the professional caregivers get burnt out....and they get to go home every day. It's just not reality and something that happens. Even the wealthiest (who I work with) families don't want too much involvement. They can't or don't want to do it. It's overwhelming and they have responsibilities themselves.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I've been a nurse forever. Most elder's families do not take care of them long term. It isn't feasible (they work and have to earn money) or can't handle it. Have you ever taken care of a dementia patient 24/7?? Please think about it seriously. Even the professional caregivers get burnt out....and they get to go home every day. It's just not reality and something that happens. Even the wealthiest (who I work with) families don't want too much involvement. They can't or don't want to do it. It's overwhelming and they have responsibilities themselves.
Exactly right. My friend that has a mother with dementia has a family member living her now but it's very hard and they are finding as the dementia gets worse, this member is struggling. She won't leave the house, will refuse to eat, won't let repairmen in the house, doesn't even recognize her own children. They fear a nursing home will be too hard on her but also know at some point, they may not be able to handle her. There are stairs in the house, it needs repairs, Ensure is not a meal, etc. It's not that they don't "want to" either, but as her dementia escalates, she becomes increasingly difficult, especially for an emotional and heartbroken family member. This is just one case and multiply that by millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies