Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:27 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Right, the classic argument for supporting slavery.

I'm starting to think, if a solution is good, if a standard is good, why shouldn't it be imposed on the whole country? Why shouldn't all states be required to have equally good schools, equally good food safety, etc.? There are some instances where a vastly different solution might be appropriate due to a state's particular climate or geography, but very rarely.
Well, if you are wondering why anything shouldn't be imposed is quite easy to understand.

To impose something on everyone means you are using force to impose your will.

Do you believe that you have a Divine right to impose your will upon your neighbor with force?

If you do, consult your local psychologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 05:29 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Thanks for reminding me. I contacted my GOP senator last week but I am going to ask my spouse to do the same within the next few days. And I will contact a 2nd time.

My grievance is that monthly premiums are raised for those between 50-64 years old. This hurts people that pay out of pocket for their monthly healthcare premium and aren't subsidized. This is a massive premium increase from the current ACA premiums for people between 50-64 years old.

Can someone post a link to the US Senate and US House contact page - so people can click the link to contact their senators and US Representatives? Thanks
Here is a link to a general website with contact information for all senators: https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

Speak.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the thing i am unhappy with the the damned federal government sticking its nose in state responsibilities. its the purview of the states to deal with health insurance, not the damned federal government.

RIGHT ON!

Let the Dems hang on what they own. Let ACA crash and burn on its own, and let's see how many Americans like it. It was designed to fail, so let it.

Get to work on taxes and infrastructure, which we need desperately.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:45 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
To believe anything Mika and Joe say shows how easy the herd is to steer. Oh, that's right, MSM can lie and not be held accountable.

If it were not for double standards they'd have no standards at all.

Nothing is going to save MSM at this point, as they have lost all credibility to the average person. Hell, they poll lower than Trump, for those who rely on such things to decide their opinions.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
. Let ACA crash and burn on its own
ACA is better than the current Senate and House bills. Trump promised lower premiums yet the current bills increase premiums even higher than ACA.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:05 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
whether in terms of the cruelty to the general public or the greed in the give-away to the richest - I hope that you're contacting any Republican senators to make your unhappiness known. They're looking at that feedback, you know. Not at each individual complaint, but they're certainly watching the trends.

They only care about feedback from their own constituents. I'm represented by two Democrats in the Senate.

But yes, if you have a Republican senator, contact them and let your position be known.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Oh, please educate us on how it would be better if the States did it vs the Feds ? There must be some very good reasons for you to make that statement, otherwise you would not say it......right ?
ok, as another posted, show me in the constitution where the federal government has the power to dictate your health insurance to you, let alone force you to buy said insurance, or even regulate said insurance.

i can point to the tenth that says powers NOT delegated to the federal government are reserved for the people and the states. and since i have yet to find in the constitution where health insurance is a power delegated to the federal government, then they have no power over it.

Quote:
Right, the classic argument for supporting slavery.

I'm starting to think, if a solution is good, if a standard is good, why shouldn't it be imposed on the whole country? Why shouldn't all states be required to have equally good schools, equally good food safety, etc.? There are some instances where a vastly different solution might be appropriate due to a state's particular climate or geography, but very rarely.
right, so you think that an oversized government forcing you to buy health insurance is not slavery? education is another area where the power of the federal government is wrong. it is not delegated as a power the feds have, thus it is reserved for the people and the states.

as for food safety, since that is interstate commerce, the feds DO have the right to regulate food safety.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 PM

487 posts, read 545,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Thanks for reminding me. I contacted my GOP senator last week but I am going to ask my spouse to do the same within the next few days. And I will contact a 2nd time.

My grievance is that monthly premiums are raised for those between 50-64 years old. This hurts people that pay out of pocket for their monthly healthcare premium and aren't subsidized. This is a massive premium increase from the current ACA premiums for people between 50-64 years old.

Can someone post a link to the US Senate and US House contact page - so people can click the link to contact their senators and US Representatives? Thanks
I certainly hear you and feel for you and those paying these skyrocketing premiums. We now have coverage through an employer, but paid out of pocket for 18 years. With a middle class income, we were not subsidized and struggled to make that $1,800 - 2,000 per month payment. It was higher through Obamacare. It did not help the middle class at all; it only made it worse with off the charts premiums. We paid more for less. Those being subsidized were relieved of paying those high premiums. Again the burden seemed to fall on the middle. class.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:55 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the thing i am unhappy with the the damned federal government sticking its nose in state responsibilities. its the purview of the states to deal with health insurance, not the damned federal government.
If it wasn't for the federal government trying to get insurance for all, the states who voted for Trump would suffer the most. How are these poor states going to provide insurance when they can't even provide jobs. Funny how democrats care about insurance for all while republicans only want the rich to benefit.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If it wasn't for the federal government trying to get insurance for all, the states who voted for Trump would suffer the most. How are these poor states going to provide insurance when they can't even provide jobs. Funny how democrats care about insurance for all while republicans only want the rich to benefit.
if the federal government was not taking so much money from the states to over pay for a bunch of crap that should be administered by the states, then those states would in fact have more money for health insurance for their people. the fed is taking far too much money from the states and the people, and spending it on things that are the purview of the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies