Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:49 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Why not instead of banning encourage States to support tax breaks for recycling programs on its residents. Those who uril8ze reusable bags can have them scanned at the store and receive tax breaks. Every time you you use the bag in the store you receive $1 back on your tax return. Community recycling programs $200 back for the year.
Interesting idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 09:52 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
There are reusable ones that are not made out of paper. I.e. You can even get plastic ones that are reusable and will last years. Rather than the throw ways. And they are very light
Yes! The point of these bans is not paper vs plastic, it's to get people to bring their own reusable bags. We have a ban here and if you don't bring in bags they give you thicker plastic ones that cost .10 each but can be reused over and over. I keep a bunch in the car and some in a cabinet. Once you get used to bringing your own, it's not a big deal.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Also, not everyone has a car, particularly in cities.
I live in a city neighborhood and do quite a bit of my shopping on foot. It's not a big deal, I keep a bunch of bags in a cabinet by the shopping list and grab a few before I go. The thickier bags are actually much nicer for the walk home.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I'm a liberal who voted against the California plastic bag ban. I used them to pick up after my dogs. I see more dog waste not picked up now, so I must not have been the only one.
If you're stuck, I know someone who started using canvas bags at the store, but bought these for dog waste:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...Newspaper-Bags

Old 07-05-2017, 11:05 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Our ban didn't last very long, just a few months. Last I heard the city claimed it didn't significantly reduce litter. So, it seems not enough people were bringing their own bags. The thickness requirements and logos were confusing merchants too.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
I'm currently living in Coastal NC, and we have a ban on plastic bags which makes sense because they end up in the Ocean and Sounds wreaking all kinds of ecological damage and harm on sea life. At the grocery, you either get paper bags, which I use to line my recycling container in the house, or you bring your own reusable and/or insulated bags. I have no problem with that.

I love the insulated bags Publix sells for $2.50 or sometimes $1.99 on sale. They're huge! And Food Lion had a $1 per reusable grocery bag fundraiser promotion recently to benefit local food banks. Those are huge, too.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:01 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you're stuck, I know someone who started using canvas bags at the store, but bought these for dog waste:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...Newspaper-Bags
You can also find biodegradable dog waste bags. I always pick up after my 2 dogs. I buy a roll of 500 fairly large bags for around $14. That's just 2.8 cents per bag. Use one on just about every walk.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:05 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
No offense, if you truly cared you wouldn't have a hybrid car...

Hybrid batteries are horribly toxic... whether nickel cadmium or lithium ion...

At least traditional lead acid is easily recycled...

Foam insulation is the cats meow though... I had an R rating of 40 in my house which was literally a quarter the thickness of R40 fiberglass insulation.
Cost of solar plus the fact I'd get snow... solar was negligible
I live in the Phoenix area where solar makes a lot of sense. My electric bill is a fraction of my friends' bills. We never run out of hot water either.

I've been driving hybrids since 2008 when gasoline prices shot up. I love the mileage. In this desert a traditional battery will usually last 2 years. No joke. I've never had a problem with a hybrid vehicle though.

I do what I can, but it has to be good for my pocket too.

Solar is better where there is a lot of sun. Same thing with wind.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I'm a liberal who voted against the California plastic bag ban. I used them to pick up after my dogs. I see more dog waste not picked up now, so I must not have been the only one.
We have always used the vegetable bags that come on a roll in the produce section. My bf always comes home with tons of them.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:11 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Always thought the bag ban was ridiculous. I *always* reused those bags, for anything and everything, whereas the paper bags had to be immediately chucked into the recycling bin.

And those canvas bags are not very durable, so I have to buy a new one every month (I walk a mile to and from the grocery store).

I don't understand why all consumers have to be penalized just because a few pigs litter. Come down hard on the pigs instead.
We reuse ours also. We use them to scoop the dog's poop out of the yard, if my plastic bag holder is full the rest go to my neighbor because the ones we get from the commissary are like 3 times as strong as the ones she gets from the grocery here. We also use them for trash can liners for the bathrooms. They get their use. Like you, we end up throwing the paper bags into the recycling bin. We have no other use for them.

There is nothing worse than having to move to a new area and walking into a store to buy something you need to find out that you have to pay for your bags or carry it out by hand. Talk about a rude awakening. I do carry 2 small bags that I can fold up and carry in my purse. Do I like the bags no. I'm scared they are going to bust on me. Plus I'm cheap and don't like the clutter of the bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies