Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:54 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
People in Europe commonly speak multiple languages.

Michelle was an excellent student who had Masters degrees from elite institutions along with real professional experience and you didn't give that any credit.

Melania was a dropout model who posed in her skivvies, which is about the only reason Trump hitched up with her. And suddenly you're so easily impressed? Funny.

Oh, and how is her "anti-cyberbullying campaign" going? Had she done something about that orange cyber-troll she hangs around with?
Trump won't be bullied by the creeps on the liberal left. Working out fine. Liberal left goes bananas. The pansies can dish it out but can't take it .
Melania is beautiful and smart. She is a strong woman and it shows in her speech.

I have one thing against Michelle. Her background in a hate white church. She is not proud of her country. Her slave mentality and she has had a privileged life . Her baggage from the black liberation garbage has created an animosity against this country that has been so good to her . Many will never know privilege yet they love this country with all their heart and soul and some give their lives for it.

Michelle has been a let down to those who love this country unconditionally. Obama felt the same and his hate divided us.

Trump loves this country and it's people. Melania feels the same. She has stated many times of her love for America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 05:32 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Really? A "great speech" of barely 2 minutes starting at 3:30.
Bless her heart.

LOL, 2 minutes is about the limit of the Trump Zombie's attention span! Did she plagiarize someone else's speech again? Was she able to open her eyes?
I couldn't stomach him standing there like a peacock basking in the cheers like he's some God, so no way did I listen to the "Ice Queen" She IS somewhat pretty. To bad she seldom smiles and can't open her eyes wide enough to know what color they are, let alone NOT being "the windows of her soul"!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 07-07-2017 at 05:43 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 06:56 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I've sincerely nothing against her and am sympathetic with her situation.

Still I'll wait until the speech has been run through the Plagiarism Checkers before commenting further on it.

Re her accent: as a certified ESL teacher I find it interesting that it's still so heavy after 20+ years in the US. That's usually indicative of someone who, although they may be fluent in receptive (listening) English they have not had sufficient practice in expressive (speaking) English.

In other words, her linguistic experience here has been highly unbalanced - she has had vastly more experience in listening than in speaking.
Bird in a gilded cage.
Thanks for the info. I was always curious about that. I listened to her speech and I agree with you. My dad is like that. He is an Indian immigrant who came here in 1972, and even though he can speak 6 languages fluently, when he speaks any other than his native Bengali/Hindi, it sounds like he just got here yesterday. He speaks English in most of his business transactions, but whenever he talks to his friends or family, he reverts back to Bengali. Thus he does not practice enough English speech to ease the heavy accent.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:07 AM

934 posts, read 403,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Not everyone in Yugoslavia was a Commie. 90% of people were all Christian Catholic.
You are correct on the first one. Not everyone in ex Yu was a communist. Besides, most of those memberships were tied to a job. For army officers membership of the Party was practically obligatory, for all kinds of government workers - highly desirable. So, quite a few of those who wanted to advance in their career practised this political opportunism. In the 80s things got more relaxed.

This other thing - I'd say that 25% of people were Christian Catholic. (Mostly Croatia, Slovenia and part of Bosnia&Herzegovina). There were more Christian Orthodox (Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, which would make 45% or so). Now, religiosity in ex Yu was, for the majority at least, more traditional than heartfelt

A little bit more ontopic - Slovenia is more impressive than Melania. You may actually find it among the best places to live on some of those lists you Americans like to make. (I did once). Safety, high standard of living and taking care of their own citizens.

And yes, her accent is heavy.

Last edited by switchtoecig; 07-07-2017 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 07:36 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Talking Melania Trump gives a great speech in Poland.

Quote:
Speech?

"Thanks for your hospitality and we like being here in your special country."

Trumplings certainly like to lower the bar for their side.

Very amusing.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:45 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
I believe she is a perfect example of an unlikely person growing into a role and absolutely shining. No matter how outrageous and controversial Donald is...Melania is the same classy person with such a wonderful way about her. Nothing but class.

We have had these political beasts in that role, people who were groomed from the time they were children to be all politics all day long. First ladies with law degrees and political aspirations of their own.

Here is this immigrant woman who married a rich guy, possibly/probably only for his money. She goes from shopping on 5th Ave in the morning, getting on a private jet and having dinner in Paris and buying whatever she wants with a Visa Black Card. Now she lives in a 200+ year old house, is stalked constantly by security and scrutinized by an unfair press. Just look at the class and grace she shows every day. Never a crack.

Amazing.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:46 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Speech?

Very amusing.

Indeed. I never did understand the endless Michelle Obama bashing. It is entirely without merit. No matter how much one disagrees with her political stance, her education and achievements are amazing. Melania? Not so much.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:26 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Speech?

Very amusing.

@3:25 she tries a rock star "Hello Poland!" but it falls flat

https://youtu.be/xYZCtfIPsEQ?t=3m25s

Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
We can agree she is not impressive.
For someone who is critical of another's language skills your inability to understand what it written is impressive.

What have I posted that you have misinterpreted as a comment on Melania's impressiveness?

Quote:
But the thread went from "Melania Trump gives a great speech in Poland" to "Well at least I can understand what she is saying" to "I'm not impressed by her." How far the mighty have fallen.
Completely disingenuous.

Someone could now post that Melania is the greatest human who ever lived. Would that then be true of Melania.

Again, what people think of Melania, says more about them than it does of her.

Quote:
So you agree her English is poor but that's not a negative?
I do not agree that her English is poor. Certainly not as poor as your ability to have a discussion.

Quote:
Maybe not, and maybe she and/or her husband don't care if it was stolen or not. Who does that? Just shows what a bunch of shady, unethical crooks these people are. Everything Trump and his crooked family does is shady and corrupt.
This I, basically, agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Well, she apparently specifically requested that words such as those expressed by Mrs. Obama be incorporated into her speech. (According to the woman who finally admitted to the 'writing' the speech.)

At first she insisted that she wrote it. I heard her say that exactly when asked in an interview. Later, 'with a little help" she said. Then, a little later, came the FAKE 'SPLAININ': written by "Melanja's team of writers"; "she said 'very general things' that weren't specific" (I really like that one ); "common types of themes"; then, real writer falls on her sword: "my mistake" ("I forgot to review the draft" which CONTAINED MRS. OBAMA'S EXACT WORDS THAT SHE (the writer) HAD COPIED".

Then, yes, Melanja read it.
So, she didn't write it. Difficult to call someone who didn't write something a plagiarist.

Quote:
It's just One. More. Example. Of the paucity of competency in the administration. Small? Perhaps. But it is symptomatic of a Very. Large. Deficiency.

Oh, IMHO.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
You may actually find it among the best places to live on some of those lists you Americans like to make. (I did once). Safety, high standard of living and taking care of their own citizens.
Some beautiful mountains, and, they claim, the oldest wine producing vine in the world

Last edited by CBeisbol; 07-07-2017 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 08:42 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
These two women took completely different paths to success.

Michelle worked hard, graduated with honors from Princeton, earned a law degree from Harvard, and held positions in public service for years, including Assistant to the Mayor, Assistant Commissioner of Planning and Development, and the Executive Director for the Chicago office of Public Allies, a non-profit organization encouraging young people to work on social issues in nonprofit groups and government agencies. She also held various executive positions with the University of Chicago Hospitals.

Melania's path was a little bit simpler. All she did was lie on her back, close her eyes and think of Slovania. That was the extent of the effort she expended to get to where she is today. And for that, she is cheered like a rock star by the cult.

It tells you what they value in a woman.
A disgusting post like this is why America is turning against your kind of thinking and why YOU have Donald Trump for YOUR President.

Enjoy the changes coming up in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies