Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 07:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Uptick is 'statistically significant' as coverage gains start to erode, analysts say.

The number of US adults without health insurance has grown by some 2 million this year, according to a major new survey that finds recent coverage gains beginning to erode. The new numbers highlight what's at stake as Congress returns to an unresolved debate over Republican proposals to roll back much of former President Obama's health care law, the AP notes.

Survey: 2M More People Lack Health Insurance in 2017
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 07:54 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
What good is the insurance if you can't afford the premium, then can't afford the deductible and co pays?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
I know several people who have dropped it - all of them having to go through the marketplace because they were self-employed with very small businesses.

Like boneyard said, the premiums aren't affordable and you're basically self-insured. In the case of a major medical event, one individual can pay $21,000 in premiums and co-pay alone and that doesn't count the prescriptions and doctor visits, etc. they'll pay out of pocket before the insurance company covers 70% or less of your bills.

In the event you're healthy and only on the hook for the premiums because you have no additional expenses, it can be $8K - $14K for an individual to have coverage.

Even if they keep Obamacare as it is, all of those dropping out will mean even worse coverage and higher premiums next year, and that will lead to more people dropping out.

You can't stop this train from derailing.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:55 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Obamacare is still, for better or worse, the law of the land. Republicans have yet to repeal and replace it. I guess we're seeing what an utter failure it is, and that the need change the current law grows as it's failure and damage to the American health care system escalates. Skyrocketing rates, ballooning deductibles, too few people going into health care...the real question is just how many have been hurt and how long will it take to fix this mess.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:06 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
Removing the penalty for the young and healthy to fail to get insurance was a green line light for them to stay away.

Further the GOP has done everything possible to try and reduce enrollment.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:37 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Removing the penalty for the young and healthy to fail to get insurance was a green line light for them to stay away.

Yeah we should have forced the young and healthy to purchase a product they dont need and so you can run to the doctor when you get a sniffle.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:51 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I know several people who have dropped it - all of them having to go through the marketplace because they were self-employed with very small businesses.

Like boneyard said, the premiums aren't affordable and you're basically self-insured. In the case of a major medical event, one individual can pay $21,000 in premiums and co-pay alone and that doesn't count the prescriptions and doctor visits, etc. they'll pay out of pocket before the insurance company covers 70% or less of your bills.

In the event you're healthy and only on the hook for the premiums because you have no additional expenses, it can be $8K - $14K for an individual to have coverage.

Even if they keep Obamacare as it is, all of those dropping out will mean even worse coverage and higher premiums next year, and that will lead to more people dropping out.

You can't stop this train from derailing.

I fit this description. Government involvement in healthcare is another attempt to stifle free enterprise and entrepreneurship in this country. Forcing the small fish to be consumed by the big fish, until large corporations control everything, including the government.

I Couldn't afford health care since 2004, before 0bamacare, I couldn't afford it with 0bamacare, and I likely won't afford it with Trumpcare.

I recently had a major health incident, so now I'll have "pre existing conditions" to contend with as well. I'm on the fast(er) track to bankruptcy and/or death at this point. It is simply amazing that one could accumulate more debt in three days, than the rest of their 50+ years combined. Something is way out of line here.

0bamacare should be repealed, and NOT replaced. Open health insurance to all, nationwide, across state lines. Allow competition among the insurers in the broadest means possible, and let the free market bring rates to where the average Joe can afford the premiums. History has shown the free market works in bringing down price, where NO monopoly exists, everytime.

At the same time, reforms, and adjustments to the way medical care is priced.

CN

Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
I say get the Feds out of healthcare.
Imagine having a product that the Government requires everyone to buy and if people cannot afford it they give money so they can.
The insurance companies should have made billions but what happened?

Is Obamacare actually a big pyramid scheme and in the end it is going to cost the tax payers trillions?

We are seeing Obamacare fall apart under its own weight and I would rather the Reps. leave it to die because if they touch it they will be blamed for killing it.

There has to be a better way that is not suffocated by bureaucracy.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:21 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah we should have forced the young and healthy to purchase a product they dont need and so you can run to the doctor when you get a sniffle.
That would be the long and short of it.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

I must have missed this. When did they remove the penalty for young people who don't have any coverage?

I'm surprised they did this since they've stated part of the problem is young people who aren't insured are choosing to pay the penalty which is more affordable than paying the monthly premium with an ACA plan.

But they're still gouging the young because $8.7 billion of the money collected from student loan interest is subsidizing Obamacare. They're charging them an unreasonably high interest rate for that reason. That's disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies