Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:08 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,393,581 times

Advertisements

Anything to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcr9ixQpGdw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:27 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,200,079 times
Comparing ethnic groups to a so-called racial group seems nonsensical. "Black" people in the U.S. are mixed bag. There may be truth to it, as the majority are generational Americans. However, now a significant minority are recent Americans. There is no one strategy.

The Irish are a single ethnic group as are Germans. It makes sense to compare them to Nigerians or Haitians. "Black" is a so-called racial group made up of different ethnicities and they cannot be said to all have the same strategy or focus.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:40 PM

^

When Jason talks about "Blacks" he's referring to Black-Americans or African-Americans primarily.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:43 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,798,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^

When Jason talks about "Blacks" he's referring to Black-Americans or African-Americans primarily.
I realize it's a five minute interview but he doesn't actually give any actionable solutions.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post

I realize it's a five minute interview but he doesn't actually give any actionable solutions.
I'm assuming his solutions are about a bigger emphases on education achievement and building businesses in Black communities.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,798,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'm assuming his solutions are about a bigger emphases on education achievement and building businesses in Black communities.
Reminds me of the recent change in graduation requirements for CPS.

Quote:
Mayor Rahm Emanuel wants Chicago public high school students to show they have a plan for what's next before they can get a diploma.

Emanuel's proposal would add one more big item to the graduation checklist for high school seniors: proof they've been accepted into college or the military, or a trade or a "gap-year" program. The requirement would also be satisfied if the student has a job or a job offer.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...story,amp.html

I think this idea is a good one, the problem being lack of resources. We always have money to drop million dollar bombs in the Middle East but no never enough to hire guidance counselors for public schools.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:38 AM

6,479 posts, read 4,097,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Comparing ethnic groups to a so-called racial group seems nonsensical. "Black" people in the U.S. are mixed bag. There may be truth to it, as the majority are generational Americans. However, now a significant minority are recent Americans. There is no one strategy.

The Irish are a single ethnic group as are Germans. It makes sense to compare them to Nigerians or Haitians. "Black" is a so-called racial group made up of different ethnicities and they cannot be said to all have the same strategy or focus.
Even then you can split Nigerians into three groups, Yorubas, Igbos and everyone else (250 ethnicities with a few of those ethnicities having zero members in America). With Igbos being the largest group of Nigerian Americans because of the Biafran war refugees.

About AA's I believe the best way is to get them out of poor inner city Black neighborhoods. African Americans thrived in Germany because they aren't around poor black neighborhoods. Some of the states were African Americans thrive the most have the least AAs, on the opposite side of the spectrum their are places like D.C and Atlanta. Clearly single mother homes are almost the root cause of poverty even in nations like Japan the poverty rate shoots up from a low 14%-16% national rate to over 50% for single mothers. That still means that plenty of single moms are doing fine on their own, but the less black kids in dysfunctional homes the higher likelihood they are going to succeed in life. Another way to approach this is to focus on keeping families together, or cutting welfare to stop encouraging single mothers to have children on welfare. While I know this might seem like an attack to single moms, their are tons of great single moms out there but the stats speak for themselves in almost every country, the only children more dysfunctional than those of single moms are orphanages. Also the problems aren't the mom's fault as much as it is the fact that many of the fathers in these relationships are deadbeats. I think the family structure is just like animals, lions live in packs were the females hunt and the man is mostly lazy. For humans it is a structure where a woman and man raises a child together. Also gay parents seem to do well to as well as lesbian parents, but in general y'all get what I mean.

Also all the problems won't magically dissolve because their are fewer single moms. I just feel like it is one of the fastest way to lower the poverty rate among AAs. While I am black, I am an outsider so do not take my view as an African American critiquing his own community but as a outsider looking in.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:58 PM

I haven't heard him touch on this but I wonder where Jason Riley fits the affects of manufacturing's decline and white flight in this?

Many Blacks moved into the middle class through manufacturing jobs. Manufacturing has been declining over the decades and this contributed to more unemployed and under employed Blacks. Then you have the many whites who had left the cities as these cities became Blacker(and browner). These whites had the money. So when they left their money went with them leaving behind poorer Blacks in underfunded cities.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:02 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,895,624 times
Being white, it is impossible for me to suggest how blacks can improve their overall position in the world, but I think education and instilling in their young a desire to live productive, meaningful lives will go a long way.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,986,187 times
Capitalism will not save Black people. It's been the chief tool of oppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies