Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound2017 View Post
I am a firm believer that you should not go to college just to go to college making community college free is s huge mistake some do not need to go to college .

One of the biggest reasons I want to college was I did not want my GI bill to go to waste I took that free money.... That I earned .

Any way you all with you pesonal stories of success you sound like idiots why impress on this forum I wanted a discussion about a generation not all your personal outlier stories who cares.
Eh, not really. Community college is a broad term including technical fields and trade programs. The community college I went to (AZ's Glendale Community College (GCC)) had nurse courses, auto-shop and other trades. The community college my brother attended (NY's Nassau Community College (NCC)) had similar trades and mortuary science. This is on top of going for traditional associates and/or transfer programs (like my brother tried to do.)

I think making community college free should be another thread entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:55 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
You want a personal story that will probably upset more than half of you because I believe city data is mostly upper class or rich whites. I have two cousins that are imigrants both millionares came here with nothing drove cabs while going to college both graduated one is in tech one big pharma scientist finding cure for aids.

But anyways they are outliers but I figured it would upset you two if the most successful people I know are immagrants that started with nothing. No family came here on a plane in the ninties.
I find it downright astonishing that you think this would upset someone.

I want all people to do well in life. I like this quote: https://i.redd.it/fiji4dt2409z.jpg

It's not a zero-sum game.

Furthermore, it's the kind of story that I personally LOVE to hear -- it validates that people who make good choices, work hard, persevere, and do for themselves can SUCCEED. And that it's not about a caste system or class warfare or people being stuck where they started. I can hardly think of anything more American and more affirming of free market values and the pursuit of liberty than a story of upward mobility.
---------------------------------------
I'm going to guess City Data Forums' membership is probably around 63% caucasian, maybe very slightly higher. It also skews slightly older since it runs on fairly thin software that dates back to the turn of the century (that's not a dig, I personally love CDF's software other than the inability to do @mentions), whereas a lot of younger people are on Reddit, Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc. It also skews slightly better off financially because it skews older.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:59 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
My stepdaughter was born in 1982.

She started a business in NYC in 2010.

Now she's a multimillionaire.

Paid off her college loans REAL fast.

Lotsa hard work, a solid education and plenty of organizational skill. Now she has about 500 people working at her company. And they're well paid with good benefits. If I was a young guy, I'd love to work there. She's modeled the work atmosphere after google.

It's working.
That's wonderful! You must be very proud.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
You want I personal story that will probably upset more than half of you because I believe city data is mostly upper class or rich whites. I have two cousins that are imigrants both millionares came here with nothing drove cabs while going to college both graduated one is in tech one big pharma scientist finding cure for aids.

But anyways they are outliers but I figured it would upset you two if the most successful people I know are immagrants that started with nothing. No family came here on a plane in the ninties.
Why would that be upsetting? My husband and I also overcame great adversity to fight and claw our way to middle class; it's inspiring and uplifting to hear about fellow scrappers who took responsibility to create their own success.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:36 PM

106 posts, read 112,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Why would that be upsetting? My husband and I also overcame great adversity to fight and claw our way to middle class; it's inspiring and uplifting to hear about fellow scrappers who took responsibility to create their own success.

I got upset because I feel the generation as a whole is not doing good and poster after poster was explaining their personal individual experiences I felt they were boasting.

I feel these are really outlives and telling your personal or a family members personal story of success on this forum has no effect I feel its like bragging to the blind. I feel you should be proud but tell someone in real life I feel people are boasting but their individual experiences do not prove that this generation is doing good.

The story I brought up about my cousins was stupid and might of upset a small number of anti emigrant sub group and i was wrong to bring it up as a way to make people upset.

I may have had a bad day.

Anyways I started this thread thinking more on the macro level not the micro level.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:25 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
That recession/recovery period did a number on me, halting the momentum of my early career, and erasing the plans I made beforehand on how I'd spend my adult life. I'm a tweener, born in 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies