Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 AM

1,194 posts, read 725,917 times

Advertisements

High school graduates who can barely read, write and do basic math getting A's on their grade cards. Only in liberal America everyone gets a trophy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...age/485787001/

Old 07-18-2017, 04:32 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
I agree that high school students are being graduated without writing coherently or without math skills. I do not agree that it is the liberals, or the teachers, who are responsible.

I place the blame on several things:

1. Educational standards that are taught and tested. Schools manage to these results, and teachers are graded on the test results.

2. Schools that do poorly are punished, not helped.

3. Students who are borderline or bored are encouraged to leave before graduation -they end up with GEDs, or nothing.

4. Parents who do not get involved with their student's education, and parents who push for higher grades.

5. Technology-too much time is spent on web surfing and cell phone obsessing.

6. Grade inflation.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I agree that high school students are being graduated without writing coherently or without math skills. I do not agree that it is the liberals, or the teachers, who are responsible.

I place the blame on several things:

1. Educational standards that are taught and tested. Schools manage to these results, and teachers are graded on the test results.

2. Schools that do poorly are punished, not helped.

3. Students who are borderline or bored are encouraged to leave before graduation -they end up with GEDs, or nothing.

4. Parents who do not get involved with their student's education, and parents who push for higher grades.

5. Technology-too much time is spent on web surfing and cell phone obsessing.

6. Grade inflation.
This.

I know quite a few teachers in different districts. They are NOT allowed to fail kids anymore. Even when the teacher can demonstrate why the child would actually benefit from repeating a grade, nope. Not allowed.

Teachers are also severely discouraged from sending their "problems" to the principal's office. They also are not allowed to make a child sit in the hallway or punish troublesome kids by making them do something like copy a definition out of a dictionary.

Also, teachers can only do so much. Even if a teacher has a breakthrough with a kid at school, that kid goes home and hears how he or shouldn't succeed in school, how they don't have to listen to the teacher etc.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
Where? A's here (NW Jersey) went from 92 to 93. Bs went from 82 to 85. The number of honor roll dropped by a third.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:15 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
High school graduates who can barely read, write and do basic math
You just described your nephew. Remember that thread you started where your nephew was getting ridiculed by some liberal elitist professor for his poor writing and argumentative skills?

Old 07-18-2017, 05:21 AM

1,194 posts, read 725,917 times
Quote:
You just described your nephew. Remember that thread you started where your nephew was getting ridiculed by some liberal elitist professor for his poor writing and argumentative skills?
I never stated he got an A!!!

Old 07-18-2017, 05:29 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
There is a problem with graduates not being at the 12th grade level, we can see it even in many those that choose to attend college. The conundrum is that leaving back non-performing students dooms them to drop out, so what's the solution. Teachers are limited and many have parents that have no interest in education or holding their kids responsible. Problem is there are so many kids in the same boat they some how view it as acceptable to fail at education and gravitate to the least common denominator. Sheer laziness and lack of effort is widespread.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:35 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,057,355 times
As a teacher I know teachers who say that they will never fail a kid, because it would hurt the kid's self-esteem.

Sometimes kids need to learn the lesson of failing. Report cards can't be a safe space.

Kids will turn in a so-so project with moderate at best effort and expect an A, because "I did it." Many teachers don't like being the teacher that "gives" out less A's, rather than looking at it as did the kid "earn" an A.

Hey not only are SAT scores down, self-esteem scores are at highs!

High Confidence Not Translating to High Math Scores for American and European Students | Newgeography.com

Education System High On Self-esteem Low On Test Scores - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 07-18-2017, 05:56 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Do public school teachers write textbooks? Decide on curriculum?

Do public school teachers decide what will be taught at the teaching colleges?

Do public school teachers elect school trustees? Hire school superintendents? Promote to administration?

Do public school teachers decide how many students will be placed in a classroom?

For as long as memory serves educators have blamed their poor result on parents. IMO, we will always have some kids who need better parents. Looks to me like if all those educrats were as smart as they want us to think they are, one of them would have figured out how to teach the children of hookers, dope dealers and lazy arsed welfare moms.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:07 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Teachers Dumbing Down The Educational System
It isn't the teachers who are dumbing down education.

They don't run anything beyond their own classrooms. The problem starts with governors and legislatures then gets compounded by bureaucrats.

And, as conservos like to shout at the top of their lungs, "The GOP controls most states and their legislatures!"

Yes, politics plays a huge role in the quality of public schools. One party's goal is to disband public education in favor of "privatization." That party has a vested interest in seeing schools fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies