Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:26 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,072,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Computers and word processing programs have all but eliminated secretarial support positions.

When was the last time you saw a store stocker putting price stickers on an item? Or saw a cashier who entered every price in the cash register without a scanner?

Automation has replaced all sorts of manufacturing positions.

Medical providers used to dictate and someone transcribed it. Now a voice-to-text program does this or they just type it in themselves to start out with. In some systems, medical providers are expected to put in the billing codes as well.

Soon the only low-skilled jobs will be service industry jobs such a dishwasher, groundskeeping, and so forth.

Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, ... are good to go for the time being. Fingers crossed.
The verdict is still out on carpenters. 3D printing might replace that field at some point... or at least downsize it.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:29 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,817,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
So who'll pay taxes...

BTW...Not to be paranoid but I can not for the life of my see the good in robots and especially AI. At the rate we're going it won't be long and the elite will no longer need the masses. What then? My answer ain't pretty for humankind.

Tech may replace half of all low-skilled jobs in the U.S. - CBS News
Follow your Republican philosophy. WORK HARDER! Go to school. Get off your a$$. No welfare for you. We need tax cuts and less regulation for the wealthy and businesses to encourage investment and job creation! Don't complain you petty fool.

Is the GOP idiocy getting to you yet?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 PM

26,575 posts, read 15,140,924 times
There is talk of taxing "robots" and other automation devices and then having a universal basic income.

If most low skill jobs get automated - do we keep our immigration policy in place that takes mostly low skill people?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:34 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,286,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
The verdict is still out on carpenters. 3D printing might replace that field at some point... or at least downsize it.
Small-scale wood printing is pretty neat (Timberfill, PrimaSelect Wood). I wouldn't doubt it could scale up over the next twenty years.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:35 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,817,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
There is talk of taxing "robots" and other automation devices and then having a universal basic income.

If most low skill jobs get automated - do we keep our immigration policy in place that takes mostly low skill people?
Immigration or no immigration, our population will continue to grow. People live longer now and more babies are born than people die every year. Immigration doesn't tackle the core problem, only delays it just like the opponents of the minimum wage. It'll only be a matter of time before UBI takes place or something of that nature.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:37 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,567,986 times
Most people are going to have to go back to the land IMO. Instead of using chemicals to kill weeds we will have plenty of manpower to pull them, hoe them, cut them. Of course robots could do that too...

But I see a future of far less humans on the Earth and mostly living in smaller communities growing a lot of their own food and taking more time for the important things in life. Money will be different, I think products will be cheaper but many will not be available anymore. I pray and hope people go from consuming to trying to find what God intended for us here.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:43 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,286,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Most people are going to have to go back to the land IMO. Instead of using chemicals to kill weeds we will have plenty of manpower to pull them, hoe them, cut them. Of course robots could do that too...

But I see a future of far less humans on the Earth and mostly living in smaller communities growing a lot of their own food and taking more time for the important things in life.
I could see it playing out sort of like the Davos WEF 2030 prediction (though I think it's more like a 2045 future):

Welcome To 2030: I Own Nothing, Have No Privacy And Life Has Never Been Better

Specifically, I refer to this section (and more specifically the bolded part):
Quote:
My biggest concern is all the people who do not live in our city. Those we lost on the way. Those who decided that it became too much, all this technology. Those who felt obsolete and useless when robots and AI took over big parts of our jobs. Those who got upset with the political system and turned against it. They live different kind of lives outside of the city. Some have formed little self-supplying communities. Others just stayed in the empty and abandoned houses in small 19th century villages.
If our cities do become places of zero privacy, zero private property, zero work -- if some of the predictions in this little piece come true -- I will certainly want to be one of those living in one of the little self-supplying communities, no question.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:00 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,567,986 times
The effect of AI automation couple with robots connected to each other is going to be shocking to people. To see a thousand robots moving like a flock of birds in sync doing a construction job for example.

The first we see of this will be self driving cars controlled by a central computer. The pure efficiency of the way a computer thinks compared to a million different nuts behind the wheel making their own bad decisions...will be shocking I think.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:00 PM

2,953 posts, read 996,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Doctors
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83
Surgeons
Laughable.

Quote:
Lawyers
God I hope so. But Nope. Can't teach a machine to screw people.

Quote:
Judges
No.

Quote:
Engineers
Are you high?

Quote:
Taxi drivers
Likely.

Quote:
Truck drivers
Same. Any vehicle that needs to go from A->B can be automated.

Quote:
Automotive workers (making cars)
Been done.

Quote:
Thats just a few I know will be replaced.
You know? ... not very much.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:02 PM

51,661 posts, read 25,896,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
People in low skilled jobs aren't paying taxes.
You have been misinformed.

People in low-skilled jobs may not be paying federal income taxes to the IRS, but they are paying sales taxes, gas taxes, property taxes, ...

Poor Pay a Higher Percentage of Income in Taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies