Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times

Advertisements

I went to a Panera this morning and across the street from that is a barbecue joint and I smelled the meat smoking. I was thinking that surely there has to be an automated way to smoke meat, removing it from smoker, etc. I'd say it would be expensive, but it may save money over the long run. Likewise, the attendants at most places could probably be eliminated with self-serve kiosks, especially if minimum wage increases occur.

Do you think there are a lot of jobs that could be automated with existing technology, but aren't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
Just because something can be automated, doesn't necessarily mean it should be. I actually do enjoy the human side of going to a restaurant or a grocery store. All day I'm in front of a PC or my smartphone and I do like a break from technology every once in awhile

You mention the BBQ joint, many of these are mom and pop so the food is hand made. I don't think businesses go into business for the purpose of "providing jobs". Most companies today are downsizing and running a very tight ship.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Well, I don’t know about “a lot”, and I’m not sure if the scenario you cite is viable. How long would it take to recover the investment of automation can vary a lot. And food places come and go relatively quickly making an investment in that type of automation pretty risky.

In general however, there is room for improvement in most processes. That goes for manufacturing, service industries, etc. That room may be automation or it may be re-organization or it may be something else. But it all leads to greater efficiency, which leads to a lesser amount of time needed, which leads to a lesser number of people needed.

There is a whole field of expertise that focuses on these types of efficiency improvements.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Not many BBQ joints are big enough to justify the expense of automation, and those actually doing the cooking are often the owners, who take great pride in their "art". Perhaps that is a poor example? Panera, on the other hand, has reduced their need for employees by using apps and tablets for ordering and paying. There will be more of that in the near future, no business is likely to hire people just to create jobs, if not in their best interest financially. One of our frequent haunts for dinner out is BJ's Brewhouse. They are a "sit-down" restaurant, not fast food, but provide online ordering in advance from the smartphone app, and actually give a $5 discount if you pay by smartphone rather than wait for a waiter.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
To create bots to automate things could cost millions up millions in R&D. It's not all that simple.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went to a Panera this morning and across the street from that is a barbecue joint and I smelled the meat smoking. I was thinking that surely there has to be an automated way to smoke meat, removing it from smoker, etc. I'd say it would be expensive, but it may save money over the long run. Likewise, the attendants at most places could probably be eliminated with self-serve kiosks, especially if minimum wage increases occur.

Do you think there are a lot of jobs that could be automated with existing technology, but aren't?
All jobs, even your bosses job. You are provided a job because people need to a sense of belonging and purpose. The other aspect is that companies need consumers, without salaries there are no consumers and no business.

Which is why businesses that print money like banks and stock market driving businesses are bad because they don't have consumers. They play with monopoly money and they can easily automate everything which they are doing. They are just obligated by the govt to retain jobs or lose their tax breaks.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:54 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Double post.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Give it time. It's coming to a job near you.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:17 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Whether to automate is a function of ROI and available funds, as the cost is upfront, while the savings are spread out.

It perpetually gets less expensive to automate , though, while employees get more expensive. So expect far more automation relatively soon.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:49 AM

303 posts, read 396,441 times
Define "long run", though. Restaurants in particular are notorious for slim profit margins and short life spans - if you're uncertain you will last long enough to reap the ROI, it's a horrible idea to install robots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment