Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:10 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times

Advertisements

A one hour a day work week?

What will humans do?

One example:

Within a very short time all vehicles will drive themselves. It is expected that they will be safer and the rate of motor vehicle accidents will dramatically go down. This create massive unemployment among taxi and truck drivers. In Vancouver the city subway system has no human drivers. And do not forget the self checkout registers in most stores.

Will there be a universal salary for people whether they work or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 08:46 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
And fast food joints are now starting to use automated systems to reduce work force by 80%. 3D printers are rapidly taking over millions of jobs. So where does this all lead?

On the one hand it creates jobs in those industries that eliminate jobs. Someone has to make those automated systems. And make the components. And ship parts. And sell them..... In other words, it takes jobs to eliminate jobs. More of a shifting of the workforce.

That said, recently I read a well written article that opines US unemployment will reach 30% within 25 years and stay there as the new norm. Those who do work will end up supporting those who don't, aka, a lot of pressure on the middle class.

If this is so, what will those 30% do? Homelessness? Drugs? Crime?

Old 11-14-2015, 01:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
On the one hand it creates jobs in those industries that eliminate jobs. Someone has to make those automated systems. And make the components. And ship parts. And sell them..... In other words, it takes jobs to eliminate jobs. More of a shifting of the workforce.
And when you can print a 3-d printer with a 3-d printer or just order "Rosie" to fix it?

In the past new tech has always spawned new jobs, the wheelwright maker was replaced by the tire manufacturer. The is is different, the age of AI is upon us and we have adaptable technologies like 3-d printing. When every imaginable job can be performed by bots or a machine including making and fixing themselves what do you do then? No one is immune from this, it doesn't matter whether you are flipping burgers or are a surgeon.

This becomes a very big dilemma for a capitalistic society, the capitalist and the worker are intrinsically intertwined. They cannot exist without each other. The worker depends on a job so they have money to buy things, the capitalist depends on the worker to buy their product.

Going to be very interesting and bumpy road in the coming decades.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
At some point robots can manufacture other robots. And at some points computers will have some sort of consciousness and be quite creative.

Quote:
That said, recently I read a well written article that opines US unemployment will reach 30% within 25 years and stay there as the new norm. Those who do work will end up supporting those who don't, aka, a lot of pressure on the middle class.

If this is so, what will those 30% do? Homelessness? Drugs? Crime?
Unemployment will be so high that it will lead to a universal salary for ALL. But, this will be paid by the robots, not the humans. Why? Because the robots will do most of the work. But, at the same time things wil be dirt cheap. A ride in a self driven taxi will be quite cheap since there is no need to pay a salary to a human driver.

The fruits of automation and technology are not new. You can now send an email for free and it takes an instant to get where it is going. In the 1930s you needed a typewriter, a secretary, a mailman, an airplne, and a delivery truck to send the same written words to someone else. I will say the email is much cheaper even if it lead to the unemployment of the secretary, mailman, pilot etc.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And when you can print a 3-d printer with a 3-d printer or just order "Rosie" to fix it?

In the past new tech has always spawned new jobs, the wheelwright maker was replaced by the tire manufacturer. The is is different, the age of AI is upon us and we have adaptable technologies like 3-d printing. When every imaginable job can be performed by bots or a machine including making and fixing themselves what do you do then? No one is immune from this, it doesn't matter whether you are flipping burgers or are a surgeon.

This becomes a very big dilemma for a capitalistic society, the capitalist and the worker are intrinsically intertwined. They cannot exist without each other. The worker depends on a job so they have money to buy things, the capitalist depends on the worker to buy their product.

Going to be very interesting and bumpy road in the coming decades.
Exactly! Maybe wealth will become redundant and humans will seek something else. In the not so distant future the workweek will be quite short and the salaries will have to go up. No wonder hamburger flippers make 23-24 dollars an hour in Norway.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
My mother was, of all things, an expert on the Federal Income Tax. Her prescription was that in the end everyone draws a basic salary. And then a significant graduated income tax takes back the sums needed to pay for it. Her intent was actually to get rid of the welfare system. Simply pay everyone enough to get by and then tax everyone enough to pay for it. It is actually pretty close to the practice in the Scandinavian countries.

I would also believe the trucker and the cab driver are an endangered species. It is not far out and that vocation is going to disappear. McD et al will chip away at the fast food worker but that one is tougher.

And the airline pilot is not far behind. The initial move will be to a single pilot who supervises the automaton..but in time...

So what survives? Personal service...skilled artisans...servants...Upper level engineers and scientists...Upper level doctors...supervisors.. cops and fireman and EMTs...some teachers...executives...some soldiers...

Maybe we need some form of blue blood for the rest of us to take care of...

Who else? Be interesting to build a list.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
Someone's got to fix those machines.....we use lots of machines at work...they break, frequently!

As far as giving everyone "enough to get buy"....that's stupid as hell....we would all sit around like bumps on a log....If I work my ass off, I want to be paid for that....if you don't...too bad.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Someone's got to fix those machines.....we use lots of machines at work...they break, frequently!

As far as giving everyone "enough to get buy"....that's stupid as hell....we would all sit around like bumps on a log....If I work my ass off, I want to be paid for that....if you don't...too bad.
But what if your writings and capabilities indicate you are simply too dumb to survive? Even the chicken has to peck the switch.
I would also observe in my professional career their were a number of people who should have been paid not to contribute.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:33 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,583 times
I think it is indeed possible that a significant percent of the population will be unemployed permanently. While it might be easy to say those who work pay for those who don't, it's not going to be easy in reality.

The permanently unemployed will make demands and trouble. They will be disruptive and unreasonable in their demands, which causes the haves to be cautious if not resentful. Given the percentages, it creates basically a highly divided society.

Our best bet is that technology will create more jobs and the shifting of jobs will enable people to attain what they want.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:43 PM

84 posts, read 145,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A one hour a day work week?

What will humans do?

One example:

Within a very short time all vehicles will drive themselves. It is expected that they will be safer and the rate of motor vehicle accidents will dramatically go down. This create massive unemployment among taxi and truck drivers. In Vancouver the city subway system has no human drivers. And do not forget the self checkout registers in most stores.

Will there be a universal salary for people whether they work or not?
I doubt this will occur since you can sue auto manufacturers for far less then technological malfunctions, just one class action lawsuit for a pile up would be devastating. Or for cars driving of of roads etc.

Case in point, they are not showing how cars deal with pot holes, they're not showing how cars deal with flaggers, or how they would maneuver in the event of a fallen tree limb etc. All of those situations are heavy negligence lawsuits for auto manufacturers claiming their cars are driver-less.

A few short years? Probably never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates